GT/GTPE power gauge

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Anyone figured out how to read the thing? Owners manual has zero details.

Blue is power, green is regen. Got that figured.

It also shows you when it pulls power after 5 seconds.

What I haven’t figured out is when else it may be limiting power or when it’s ready to give you full power. From driving, reading and watching videos I’ve noticed if the battery isn’t warm, you don’t get quite full power. I just can’t tell how to see that on the gauge.
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Anyone figured out how to read the thing? Owners manual has zero details.

Blue is power, green is regen. Got that figured.

It also shows you when it pulls power after 5 seconds.

What I haven’t figured out is when else it may be limiting power or when it’s ready to give you full power. From driving, reading and watching videos I’ve noticed if the battery isn’t warm, you don’t get quite full power. I just can’t tell how to see that on the gauge.
I just got mine last night. But I noticed after a few launches on a back road, the power meter seemed to have some gray lines at the end of it. When those were there I also wasn't able to turn on unbridled extend. I wonder if that was indicating how much power was limited?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just got mine last night. But I noticed after a few launces on a back road, the power meter seemed to have some gray lines at the end of it. When those were there I also wasn't able to turn on unbridled extend. I wonder if that was indicating how much power was limited?
Interesting, I haven’t noticed that. Are the gray bars there while cruising or when you punch it again?

I’ve been trying to pay attention to it but it’s so small and hard to read, especially at full throttle.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
You guys have it correct. Blue is power delivery, green is regen and grey is blocked out from power delivery. It's a limiter that kicks in for thermal management and low battery.

The grey bars essentially mean you can't have that power until they go away. This is where all the drama over trap speed and the 5 second acceleration comes from.

There's a ton of discussion about this and a video where I show the limiter here:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...tery-power-to-limit-heating.10416/post-261084

Last edited:

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You will see it if you start the car without preconditioning too. Grey bars showing limited power. Goes away after you drive a bit.

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
Probably battery soc, battery/motor/inverter temps, the 5 second counter at max power, and possibly motor rpm (as back emf increases with speed, especially with PM motors, which in effect subtracts away from pack voltage). I assume after a few hard pulls power may be limited until the battery, inverters, and motors cool down, thus why unbridled extend limits peak power and disables regen to help manage temps.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You will see it if you start the car without preconditioning too. Grey bars showing limited power. Goes away after you drive a bit.
I haven’t noticed that yet either, maybe because it’s still warm in Florida?

Looking back at the videos here on page 1 and 6, I now see the gray bars-
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-gt-70-acceleration-issue-video.9677/

Really hard to see in the daylight but shows up well in the page 6 video at night.

Still trying to figure out the power delivery on this car. It’s stinking fast but sometimes it definitely feels faster than others, especially if you power brake a little from a dead stop and with traction control off.

Even with TC on, it’s really hard to tell of TC is kicking in or not.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Even with TC on, it’s really hard to tell of TC is kicking in or not.
I've seen discussion about this, but don't know where, talking about how the front motor only kicks in under certain circumstances. Acceleration is one of those conditions, but it's retarded some and that's possibly why we have slippage without a rollout. Also reason that we experience oversteer/fishtailing on acceleration through corners.

I wish I could find that discussion.

Edit: found it - https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ruise-after-a-300-mile-trip.10214/post-259980

Here's the more technical data. The above was his summary of the AWD data:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/driving-dynamics-and-charging-data-files.8473/

Last edited:

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
It's too bad that they had to make the gauge so tiny and in the lower left hand corner but unfortunately there was just no other free space they could have put it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT/GTPE power gauge 1635206103160

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It's too bad that they had to make the gauge so tiny and in the lower left hand corner but unfortunately there was just no other free space they could have put it.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT/GTPE power gauge 1635206103160
If only fords UI designers had remembered about this shaped called a circle lol, more than enough space to put one around the speedometer, the cynic in me thinks it was kept microscopic on purpose so the grey bars of shame are less obvious.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
It's ridiculous. And as ridiculous as it is, the regular Mach-E's don't even have one at all, right?

A goddamn 2014 Accord Hybrid has a HUGE (and useful) power meter. WTF Ford.
Sponsored