GT Performance Edition vs Standard GT worth it?

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
For me the big question is how much of an impact Magneride makes?
The one consistent complaint I have heard about the Mach-e is the bounciness of the ride, particularly on not great roads at lower speeds.
I even saw a recent GT first drive video where the driver observed that the (regular) GT felt even firmer than the Premium model.
If the Magneride makes a noticeable impact on this, I think for me it would be worth it to spend a little more for the PE.
Anyone have thoughts on that?
Firm and Bouncy are two different descriptors for suspension. For example, in my M40i, when I set the adaptive suspension to the firmest setting, it's certainly firmer, but less bouncy, depending on the road. Based on the differences in the springs, it doesn't seem to me like the spring rate is significantly different on the GT/PE but being described as firmer would tell me the dampening is better suited to that spring rate and is likely less bouncy as a result.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
For me the big question is how much of an impact Magneride makes?
The one consistent complaint I have heard about the Mach-e is the bounciness of the ride, particularly on not great roads at lower speeds.
I even saw a recent GT first drive video where the driver observed that the (regular) GT felt even firmer than the Premium model.
If the Magneride makes a noticeable impact on this, I think for me it would be worth it to spend a little more for the PE.
Anyone have thoughts on that?
I believe it was @markboris who switched non-GT springs for GT springs in him Premium. He said that the bounciness was gone.

Magnamover

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GTPE DMG &18 Mustang GT conv
Country flag
A couple months ago, I went from a 16 GT without to an 18 with Magneride and there are some major improvements. On hard acceleration there is no hopping and it feels better planted overall. Also Hard bumps are not harsh anymore. I had to order the GTPE. Good article:
https://autologicmagazine.com/2020/04/16/magneride-demystified/

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
The GTPE for me ended up being worth the upgrade. First of all without the blue cruise 360 and with the metal roof. My MSRP was $66,000. Ford gave me $2500 rebate and in California added the $1500 clean air rebate in the loan. So my price for the car was $62,000 @1.4% option loan. I was out today driving typical Cal freeway speed and the car just zips. I haven't tried passing a car going 100 mph yet but for everything below it not a problem. I had me first encounter with a new 5.0 today and after I zipped passed he didn't want to play anymore. I only got 250 miles on her but I am having a blast driving it. I also love the seats and so does the wife. So if she is happy then life is good.

Last edited:

mpope30

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500 Sierra HD Denali Duramax
Country flag
First time poster. I just ordered a GT extended range (non-performance) yesterday. I live in the Chicago area, so the summer tires would also require me to purchase winter tires. I did that for my Tesla, and I got sick of changing them twice per year. I also want the glass roof to help with keeping the cabin warm in the winter without using as much heat (not sure it will). So I spent the extra money on the glass roof and blue cruise instead of the Magneride and tires I don’t want. If I lived down south, I would have ordered the performance edition for sure.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
First time poster. I just ordered a GT extended range (non-performance) yesterday. I live in the Chicago area, so the summer tires would also require me to purchase winter tires. I did that for my Tesla, and I got sick of changing them twice per year. I also want the glass roof to help with keeping the cabin warm in the winter without using as much heat (not sure it will). So I spent the extra money on the glass roof and blue cruise instead of the Magneride and tires I don’t want. If I lived down south, I would have ordered the performance edition for sure.
Interesting take on how you ordered GT instead of GTPE......
Whatever works for your routine/wants vs Needs is the best choice. I hope you will get yours within the 28 weeks suggested by Ford.

Regulus7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
993 C4 Cab, Macan S, SantaFe, Ice Blue MME GT
Occupation
Money Manager
Country flag
I also ordered a GT rather than the GTPE similarly because I did not want to have to deal with tire changes for the winter. I test drove a GT and a premium AWD and while back then I was not paying that much attention to bounce I did notice better handling and road grip in the GT. Also my wife did not like the look of the non GT. I also wanted the blue cruise and the glass roof so price wise I was not keen to pay another $5k for the magnaride. I have an ID4 and it drives great, like a nice soccer-mom car. So the GT is going to be the “fun” car. Hopefully will have it in 1-2 months… can’t wait ?

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
I ordered a GT over the GTPE for a few reasons:

1. The price. The feature and price creep over the initial thought of a Premium, where the GT got everything I wanted in a Premium for a few dollars more, and the option of a metal roof. The PE was $5k more at the time; this was too big of a jump over my original price point, which was under $60k.

2. GTPE at the time could not be ordered with a metal roof (this has since changed). I didn't want glass.

3. The seats. Those non-adjustable shoulder bolsters may be great to lock you in place, but with two little ones, I need to be able to turn around and address them on occasion (hand them snacks, water, etc). Additionally, autogefuehl did an extensive review of the GTPE (which is the only one they get overseas), and the seat-backs on the PE are supposedly hard plastic, whereas the non-PE is the same as on Premium- softer and more roomy.

4. The 10 mile range difference. Splitting hairs, but this is one of those "if you ran out of juice 10 miles from home you'd never hear the end of it" things.

5. The wheels. Anyone who has ever had to clean BBS rims know what I'm talking about. The petal rims look pretty cool, similar to what Audi puts on the RSQ8 (although those are a 5-spoke 'Y' design).

Note it was not an easy decision, and a coin toss either way. In the end it is a family-oriented performance SUV, so it has to tick all the boxes.

DNVR MACHE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT Performance Edition
Country flag
Is the GT PE worth it over the Standard GT? Are the GT PE seats comfy enough for a long trip? thx
I have driven my GTPE from Denver to Greenville SC and from Denver to Tulsa, OK and the seats are more comfortable than my F150. i was absolutely amazed.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag

1. The price. The feature and price creep over the initial thought of a Premium, where the GT got everything I wanted in a Premium for a few dollars more, and the option of a metal roof. The PE was $5k more at the time; this was too big of a jump over my original price point, which was under $60k.

2. GTPE at the time could not be ordered with a metal roof (this has since changed). I didn't want glass.

3. The seats. Those non-adjustable shoulder bolsters may be great to lock you in place, but with two little ones, I need to be able to turn around and address them on occasion (hand them snacks, water, etc). Additionally, autogefuehl did an extensive review of the GTPE (which is the only one they get overseas), and the seat-backs on the PE are supposedly hard plastic, whereas the non-PE is the same as on Premium- softer and more roomy.

4. The 10 mile range difference. Splitting hairs, but this is one of those "if you ran out of juice 10 miles from home you'd never hear the end of it" things.

5. The wheels. Anyone who has ever had to clean BBS rims know what I'm talking about. The petal rims look pretty cool, similar to what Audi puts on the RSQ8 (although those are a 5-spoke 'Y' design).

Note it was not an easy decision, and a coin toss either way. In the end it is a family-oriented performance SUV, so it has to tick all the boxes.
The GTPE was orderable with a metal roof from the beginning (mine was ordered April 27th, the very first day a dealer could order one...one day before the general public).

SteveRoundsGTPEmodded-2.jpg

OP
OP
Rudy Bega

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
I have driven my GTPE from Denver to Greenville SC and from Denver to Tulsa, OK and the seats are more comfortable than my F150. i was absolutely amazed.
Have had my Rapid Red GTPE since Feb 14 th, absolutely love it and really like the seat, more comfortable than my Lincoln Aviator. Ford did a great job with the Mache đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag

I decided on the GTPE rather than the GT because:

1. The MagneRide suspension on the GTPE results in a far smoother and more comfortable ride than in my MME Premium.

2. Seats are much more comfortable than the standard or GT seats. I drove my GTPE 1,750 miles home in comfort and style. (My kids are teenagers and drive themselves. If I had little kids, they'd ride in my MME Premium!)

3. So many factors affect range that the difference between the GT and GTPE isn't significant enough to notice.

4. The GTPE wheels are so much better looking than the GT wheels!

5. I found an out-of-state dealer willing to sell me a GTPE with no markup, X-Plan pricing, and Ford Options financing. Together with a large downpayment, these savings easily compensated for the higher price of the GTPE.

Last edited:

hprose

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250 and a Mach-e on order
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Looking at it objectively, an extra $5k for sport seats, electronically adjustable suspension, and the forged wheels seems to represent a reasonable value. Subjectively, only you can decide whether those particular features appeal to you.

One other thing to be aware of is that the Performance Edition forces you to take both the Panoramic Roof and Ford Co-Pilot360 if you want either of them, while the standard GT lets you order each by itself.
Ordered a GT. Wanted the roof, forced to take the 360.

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
Dumb question for people who have taken delivery of the Performance Edition: Has anyone verified that the wheels are (as Ford’s early literature described) forged? The window sticker above only says “aluminum.”
I believe that GTPE wheels have forged centers, and flow-formed barrels. That's why they weigh more than a fully-forged wheel. I went with forged/flow-formed wheels like the stock GTPE wheels, but I bought some that are only a little heavier than fully-forged. Forged/flow-formed wheels are about half the price of forged wheels.

20220416_115052.jpg

911roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e gt
Occupation
RN
Country flag
I’ve got a 2022 gt I didn’t want. A gt pe
For the following reasons 1) the magnetic shocks are trouble prone and usually good for about 3 yrs and cost 1K. Each to replace (I had. Them on a previous car. They are tied in to your. ECM so when one fails you can’t replace them with a none magnetic shock 2) the performance between the 2 are the equal just view some of the drag racing on you tube. So. I got a grabber blue GT ALSO I LOVE MY FLOWER PETAL WHEELS AND GET ALOT OF POs. FEEDBACK FROM OTHERS. The only reason I would have gotten a PE WAS IF THERE WAS LIKE 20’% power diff but there isn’t any at all Also o thought the pe wheels were a bit crude looking
Sponsored