GT seat stitching starting to unravel / come loose

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
A bit of a side question, but do the GT (not GTPE) seats have more bolstering than the Select/Premium seats? It looks like it from the pictures, but it is very hard to tell.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ScotsDC

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
So I've had my GT Mach E for just under 3 weeks and the copper colored stitching has started to unravel on the driver's seat. I'm really disappointed because the interior was one of the factors which helped make the decision to buy. I honestly don't know what to ask the dealership to do. Totally new seat cover? Restitch the material? What's reasonable to expect on a $72000 vehicle?

PXL_20210925_132544375.jpg
New update After a week of not hearing anything, I called Koons Ford for an update. Turns out Ford have 'declined' the repair, and I am supposed to follow up with the salesman. He suggests we get a 'we owe...' slip to pay for the repair. WTF?????

balataspin

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Escape SEL, 2021 Mach - E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
New update After a week of not hearing anything, I called Koons Ford for an update. Turns out Ford have 'declined' the repair, and I am supposed to follow up with the salesman. He suggests we get a 'we owe...' slip to pay for the repair. WTF?????

Wut, totally unacceptable.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
What the heck is a ā€œwe oweā€ slip? Is the dealer paying for the repair/replacement of the seat bottom at that point? This clearly should not be a case of you paying to fix it.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Just looking from the dealer's side... How can it be proven to be a workmanship issue? Jeans with those button things can easily catch on those and cause the (probably cotton and not polyester) thread to rip. An upholstery guy can actually fix that but you would have to get matching thread from Ford or they could color match it pretty closely.

OP
OP

ScotsDC

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Just looking from the dealer's side... How can it be proven to be a workmanship issue? Jeans with those button things can easily catch on those and cause the (probably cotton and not polyester) thread to rip. An upholstery guy can actually fix that but you would have to get matching thread from Ford or they could color match it pretty closely.
So are you suggesting that purchasing a Mach E should come with a disclaimer that you shouldn't wear jeans when driving this car? No, of course not. That would be ridiculous. What isn't ridiculous is the expectation that the seat would stand up to reasonable use by a reasonable person wearing reasonable clothes. It doesn't.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
So are you suggesting that purchasing a Mach E should come with a disclaimer that you shouldn't wear jeans when driving this car? No, of course not. That would be ridiculous. What isn't ridiculous is the expectation that the seat would stand up to reasonable use by a reasonable person wearing reasonable clothes. It doesn't.
You would have to figure out what normal wear and tear is considered. Again, not arguing, just trying to think like a dealer. A scratch on your car is also not considered a workmanship issue, so they will think similarly.

Bets thing you can do is find where the start and stop points of the stitching is and you will be able to point out a workmanship issue. If it broke there, then you have a good argument.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
If the car had 30,000 miles on it, you MIGHT have a point. But this car is less than a month old. I have 15,015 miles on my First Edition, wearing Jeans most of the time, and they look like thisā€¦

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT seat stitching starting to unravel / come loose 471CAC0E-F52B-4FC5-8A74-1482A9D01CAD

Either that seat cover stitching is defective, which should lead to a warrantyreplacement or repair, or someone made an awful design choice to have that stitching there.

Reactions: ARK

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
If the car had 30,000 miles on it, you MIGHT have a point. But this car is less than a month old. I have 15,015 miles on my First Edition, wearing Jeans most of the time, and they look like thisā€¦

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT seat stitching starting to unravel / come loose 471CAC0E-F52B-4FC5-8A74-1482A9D01CAD

Either that seat cover stitching is defective, which should lead to a warrantyreplacement or repair, or someone made an awful design choice to have that stitching there.
Good point. Different material and different stitching pattern. You wont have as much transverse wear on the stitching. I'm just trying to help OP with his case. Upholstery has been in my family for over 40 years, so I know a thing or two about stuff like this...

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Good point. Different material and different stitching pattern. You wont have as much transverse wear on the stitching. I'm just trying to help OP with his case. Upholstery has been in my family for over 40 years, so I know a thing or two about stuff like this...
Im not trying to diminish your expertise. Clearly you know more about upholstery than I do. But you seem to be indicating that workmanship is the only thing that warranty would cover. I am simply saying that if the piece is defective, and coming unstitched in a month would qualify in most peoples minds, it should be repaired/replaced under warranty.

If the OPā€™s clothing caused the stitching to pop in 2 separate places like that, wouldnā€™t we see evidence of wear on the seating material in those areas as well? Thatā€™s an honest question, because in my mind Iā€™d think we would see significant scratching of something caught and popped the stitching.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Im not trying to diminish your expertise. Clearly you know more about upholstery than I do. But you seem to be indicating that workmanship is the only thing that warranty would cover. I am simply saying that if the piece is defective, and coming unstitched in a month would qualify in most peoples minds, it should be repaired/replaced under warranty.

If the OPā€™s clothing caused the stitching to pop in 2 separate places like that, wouldnā€™t we see evidence of wear on the seating material in those areas as well? Thatā€™s an honest question, because in my mind Iā€™d think we would see significant scratching of something caught and popped the stitching.
Not on that type material. It would be like passing a spoon over a rug and getting caught on a string - you wouldn't see scratches but your string would break. I hope they cover what happened because it would be good for all of us, but I know what their arguments will be. My concern is that you can almost draw a straight line from where the stitched pattern broke and it isn't completely random. However, if it broke where they started and ended the stitch, then how they terminated that pattern is the issue and has nothing to do with what the OP did. Then, no one can argue that it isn't covered for any reason.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not on that type material. It would be like passing a spoon over a rug and getting caught on a string - you wouldn't see scratches but your string would break. I hope they cover what happened because it would be good for all of us, but I know what their arguments will be. My concern is that you can almost draw a straight line from where the stitched pattern broke and it isn't completely random. However, if it broke where they started and ended the stitch, then how they terminated that pattern is the issue and has nothing to do with what the OP did. Then, no one can argue that it isn't covered for any reason.
So you're saying you'll testify as the expert witness that it was in fact the manufacturing fault of where the thread terminated and should be covered?

OP
OP

ScotsDC

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
Thanks for pointing this out. The thread is intact, so it hasn't been cut, and there are no marks on the seat itself.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Speaking of jeans, Ford needs to contact Levi Jeans and hook up for some of their stitching expertise !
they need to warn everyone to make sure they drive in their silk pjs for warranty reasonsā€¦?ā‰ Gee, I hate it when companies think we are stupid enough to believe their phony pitch!
Sponsored