Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
Just checking in to see if anyone with a base GT has figured out the center cap situation after removing the aero covers.

Has anyone found a Ford cap that works? Universal?
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I don't understand why ford designed a wheel like this. What is the point of aero covers if they can't easily be removed and left with a proper center cap in place? At that point why not just make the design of the wheel aero in and of itself to begin with? It can't be just about weight. It doesn't make any sense to me, but, I am getting more resigned to the idea of just leaving them as is. The only thing I'm worried about is that wheels collect grit. The black plastic covers will likely be a scratched up mess within one season. At least you can treat and polish painted metal wheel parts.

OP
OP
Tommy303

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
I don't understand why ford designed a wheel like this. What is the point of aero covers if they can't easily be removed and left with a proper center cap in place? At that point why not just make the design of the wheel aero in and of itself to begin with? It can't be just about weight. It doesn't make any sense to me, but, I am getting more resigned to the idea of just leaving them as is. The only thing I'm worried about is that wheels collect grit. The black plastic covers will likely be a scratched up mess within one season. At least you can treat and polish painted metal wheel parts.
My guess is that the covers are for mileage reasons. I've talked to a few over-the-road semi truck drivers and they say that wheel covers help save tiny amounts of mileage which means a lot when they only get 5 mpg.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
My guess is that the covers are for mileage reasons. I've talked to a few over-the-road semi truck drivers and they say that wheel covers help save tiny amounts of mileage which means a lot when they only get 5 mpg.
But why not just design that into the wheels themselves? A couple pounds wouldn't make much difference.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
It's clear that mileage is the reason. But I bet the mileage impact is trivial, while the ugliness impact is significant.

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
Ford reads these boards, right? Why can't Ford just chime in and tell us what the size is?!?

c max

First Name
phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Premium Rapid Red
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's clear that mileage is the reason. But I bet the mileage impact is trivial, while the ugliness impact is significant.
I read a report of a testing with and without the aero covers some time ago, don't ask me where or from who......I am old......the testing was done with a tesla and maybe a MME, I told you I was old.....I believe the result was a 3-4% increase in range w/the aero covers.....I have been looking for the article, with no luck so take what I said w/a grain of sand......

MABachE131

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT in DMG
Country flag
Has no one removed their aero covers yet?!?
Sponsored