First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 Lariat, 2019 GLC300e, 2021 GT PE
Country flag
Hey all,

After waiting for weeks for my car to be delivered to the dealer from the port (it was there for 3-4 weeks for unknown reasons), we just got a call from the dealer saying that they accidentally hit another car while moving it. It's not major damage but I assume the whole bumper and "grill" needs to be replaced (Pics attached.)

We were planning on taking delivery of the car on Saturday.

The options given were:
- Pick it up and then wait for the parts and get it fixed at that point. Assuming this would take multiple months.
- Leave it at the dealer until the parts come in and it's fixed.

Our current level of frustration is pretty high, but we're not sure what direction to go here. Our current lease ends in early Jan so it's a bit nerve wrecking since I'm fairly sure it will take a while to get parts for this.

Any thoughts / advise on how to manage this with the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9226.jpg

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Repaired and a significant discount for diminished value is what I would try for. It’ll go up on a carfax and hurt value when you trade at a later date. Can always get back in line or try to find an abandoned order at another dealer. Wonder if it was a joyride gone wrong?

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
First of all, congrats on your car coming in and bummer that it got damaged.

I would take delivery and wait for the parts, then have them fix it when all of the parts are in.

RSM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Shadow Black CA Route 1 Mach-e
Country flag
I don't know if I can give you any good advice. But I'm really sorry to hear about this.. that's terrible. I wouldn't be inclined to accept it now, and since your deposit is refundable you can wait to see how they fix it (or when). The ONLY benefit to accepting it now is that if you accidentally have any further damage, they've already agreed to replace the parts. But not worth it IMO. You could also decline it and see if they could prioritize you for a 2022. Not gonna beat your January deadline, though.. unfortunately. I'm so sorry.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
What is going on today!!

All these damaged MMEs.

I would be pissed for sure and probably demand that they find me one from somewhere else and would be blowing execs up on Twitter.

I wish you the best of luck!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I suspect someone unfamiliar with EVs drove it.

Stangracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350C Mach E GTPE
Country flag
It sucks but it's only cosmetic. I work in a collision shop so I'm numb to stuff like this. I'd let them store the car until it's fixed or your lease is up. If you take delivery before it can be fixed make sure it's understood they provide you with a rental. Nothing will be reported to carfax so don't worry about diminished value.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I suspect getting these bumpers matched is relatively simple given the size of the faux grille, shouldn't have to blend into the hood.

I'd definitely take the vehicle and wait for the parts/repair. Though that really really sucks and I'm sorry. I'm betting ford is not under any obligation to provide diminished value.

Not really sure how that would work.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
All I will say is it took me 11 weeks to get a replacement windshield.

MMXX500

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GT500 2021 MACH-E GT/PE
Occupation
Dosser
Country flag
Would you really consider taking delivery of a brand new car in that condition? I know I wouldn't be able to, it would bug me way too much every time I looked at it. I would ask the dealership to dealer trade for a car that fits your requirements now that the cars are trickling in, they might be able to get something for you and I'm sure they would put in some extra effort considering.

Failing that, could be worth ordering a '22 and extending out your current lease for another 6 months if possible. Of course if the dealership does give you a sweetheart of a deal on this one then this could be worth it too - I think it would have to be a huge discount though for it to make sense.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I’m in the camp that thinks I would refuse it. A $70k vehicle should feel new and exciting, not damaged before delivery. I would try to raise hell and see if they can try to work a deal with other dealers on a canceled order or I would probably blow the whole thing up and order a different car. Probably even a different manufacturer, but that’s just me

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I wouldn't accept it. It would bother me every time I looked at it. I'm sure they have other MMEs coming in. A replacement should be a priority. I keep seeing posts about damaged MMEs prior to delivery. You would think the company would have a process for how to deal with replacing these orders that arrive damaged. The buyer is not at fault.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Refuse it. But first, tell the dealer you want half of the $10K ADM they’re gonna slap
on it after they replace the bumper cover and sell it to someone else.
Presto, $5K richer. Put that towards another one out there with ADM just sitting.

OP
OP
four0four

four0four

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 Lariat, 2019 GLC300e, 2021 GT PE
Country flag
Thanks for all the input, everyone! Appreciate hearing POV's that we were not considering.

Definitely will see what's on the table on Saturday and go from there.

Really sucks to have to potentially walk away but yeah it is a 70K car and we shouldn't lower expectations based on something that was out of our control.

Jonno21

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E AWD Long Range Space White
Country flag
I suspect someone unfamiliar with EVs drove it.
I suspect someone unfamiliar with parking sensors and cameras drove it. :rolleyes: What DID we do before parking sensors and cameras. I know, we drove carefully. My dashcam used to record the standard of driving of techs with my Mazda car and it made me wince at the many near misses with oil drums and junk laying about the garage when driving at high speed in and out.
Sponsored