scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Thanks for all the input, everyone! Appreciate hearing POV's that we were not considering.

Definitely will see what's on the table on Saturday and go from there.

Really sucks to have to potentially walk away but yeah it is a 70K car and we shouldn't lower expectations based on something that was out of our control.
So if I might ask without extending your misery at your ordering adventure, your car sat in Richmond for a month?

Also what dealer was this at?
Sponsored

blink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red MME+
If you do decide to get it fixed and buy it, get a delivery date. I had some minor fixup on mine, and they kept pushing the delivery date back. I regret not getting a very spesific date for delivery. They only got it done when I set a date much later and said I wanted to walk away if not fixed by then

My repair took 2 months, and they didn't even need to change any parts..... They could just do it whenever

Up and Over

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT, Iconic Silver
Country flag
Given current used car prices, your lease may have some equity. You should see if you have the option to buy your current vehicle at end of lease and for how much. If it is less than what you could sell it for, you could make some money. More importantly, it will give you a vehicle to drive while you are waiting for your MME to be fixed. I would be reluctant to take delivery of the MME until it is repaired—you lose leverage with the dealer that way.

Thanks for all the input, everyone! Appreciate hearing POV's that we were not considering.

Definitely will see what's on the table on Saturday and go from there.

Really sucks to have to potentially walk away but yeah it is a 70K car and we shouldn't lower expectations based on something that was out of our control.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Given current used car prices, your lease may have some equity. You should see if you have the option to buy your current vehicle at end of lease and for how much. If it is less than what you could sell it for, you could make some money. More importantly, it will give you a vehicle to drive while you are waiting for your MME to be fixed. I would be reluctant to take delivery of the MME until it is repaired—you lose leverage with the dealer that way.
This^^^^. Underrated comment here.

example: Our son’s WRX lease was up in May of this year, the balloon was $15,500. NADA, KBB, Edmunds et al. valued it between $24-27K! Vroom and Carvana offered $24.5-25.5K to come get it. But, with the supply of new, satisfying alternatives pretty much depleted, we never seriously entertained selling it. Ended up financing balloon through one of our CUs for 36 mos. at 1.29%. As I periodically check values it’s dipped as low as $22,800 but is back to $25K again recently.

Mull that scenario over as it applies to yours. All indicators point to values staying high through this year at minimum since shortages aren’t improving quickly enough to drive values down yet.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I wonder what leverage OP has over the dealer at this point. I bet the dealer would love nothing more than to have OP walk away. Dealer can sell it after fixing or just as is for a hefty markup.

If OP buys the car, I can't see the dealer doing much here other than fixing it under their control for free whenever they feel like it. Not like they're going to give a discount on this.

If you buy the car pre-fix, you're at their mercy on when they get around to fixing it. If you make them fix it before you buy, they know they can get more for it if you walk away, so they might not be super motivated to get it fixed and make you happy.

I'd probably walk away from this one, sadly.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Another thought. Accept it...get it repaired. Take advantage of 7500. Order new GT on the spot. Trade in old for new after new order fulfilled. Profit.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’d leave it at the dealer until parts come in and it’s repaired, then accept delivery at that point. In the meantime, you can always gamble and order a 22. If the new order comes in before yours is repaired, then see if you can do a “trade”/abandon/whatever. If the new order doesn’t arrive, abandon/cancel it.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wouldn't accept it. Who knows when they will fix it. If you really want that specific one, take delivery after they fix it, but don't sign any paperwork to start a loan or anything. Then look for other cars that fit your criteria and if one comes in first snag it and tell the first dealer they took too long.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I wouldn't accept it. Who knows when they will fix it. If you really want that specific one, take delivery after they fix it, but don't sign any paperwork to start a loan or anything. Then look for other cars that fit your criteria and if one comes in first snag it and tell the first dealer they took too long.
The more I think about this, the more I wonder if there's a downside to accepting and getting another.

My guess is the GT is what OP wants....and isn't ready to start the shopping process all over again.

If they take delivery, these have such insane value right now, the dealer would probably be more than happy to agree to a fair trade offer on a new one to the point that OP would have multiple tax credits, sales tax handled via a trade-in, and get the drive the GT that's less than perfect but still get to drive it until it's fixed and then mostly perfect until the perfect one shows up.

Is there a downside I'm missing? Seems like the best win-win to me.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I would ask them to fix it and take delivery if you are happy with the result. My car was damaged in a parking lot a few weeks ago and it sucks but just like this is wasn't structural damage. Considering the market you are unlikely to be able to get another one without ADM

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
It is unfortunate, but you have to realize you don’t have a lot of leverage in this situation. The car shortage is very real and from what I’m hearing at work (we deal with buying industrial supplies every day) it is probably going to get worse. Some Ford marketing execs might care about bad press, but no one else probably does.

I would take delivery of the car with a signed agreement for a free repair when the part comes in. In the meantime, maybe they could touch the paint up in the shop a bit. Additionally a time frame for the repair should be agreed upon, and if you’re lucky, perhaps a bit knocked off the price for the inconvenience. If they offer $1000 that is a great deal considering the circumstances

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
Our current level of frustration is pretty high, but we're not sure what direction to go here. Our current lease ends in early Jan so it's a bit nerve wrecking since I'm fairly sure it will take a while to get parts for this.

Any thoughts / advise on how to manage this with the dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Ask your Lease person if they will give you a 3 - 6 month extension, often it's well within their 'powers' to extend for a short time.

Then get a new one on order ASAP, as someone has mentioned, this GT will CarFax as being in an accident and will diminish the value on trade-in/selling.

Don't accept this car.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Can you see the damage from the drivers seat?
Does the damage affect the driving performance or operation of the vehicle?

If no on both, then I would take delivery, when the parts come in have them fix it.

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
I just have to say this. This was a 0-60 stomp gone wrong. This is precisely why I’ve been all over my dealer about NO test drives of my GTPE when it arrives. I’m not waiting 9 months for a car so some jackass can bang it up and I have to wait another 3-4 months for a repair. This REALLY. burns me up for the OP!

Now, after all that said and to answer the original question, I would still take the car. Although I would make them fix it before I take delivery even if that means a loaner after my lease was up in January. Or like other have said, buy the lease out and trade it for more money later.

And there is such a thing as an inconvenience discount.
Sponsored