Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Anyone care to share their tips for maximizing the range in my GTPE?

My car is being delivered next week at a relatively remote dealership far from Level 2 or 3 chargers. I'm going to need to do the first charge overnight at a KOA campground using one of their 50 amp hookups.

So I'm looking for advice on how to maximize the range I get from my car. For example, should I run in "Whisper" mode the whole way? I imagine one tip is to drive at or below the speed limit on the freeway? Any other hints that have worked well for you?

Thanks!
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Not specific to the GTPE, but if you find a large, slow moving vehicle that you can follow closely behind, your efficiency will increase because of drafting.

Of course this puts you in danger of rocks being thrown up and hitting your car, so be careful, but putting that concern aside, a slow moving semi works best for this, but perhaps following something like an Expedition is safer for your paint!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I have never really driven in any mode other than Unbridled. I tried the others, but I don’t like the suspension settings and the steering over-assist. 😱🐩

Anyhow, the biggest thing for maximizing range is to drive slow and be consistent with your throttle input. When you know you’re going to need to slow down or stop, let up on the throttle a bit earlier than normal. Use the brakes as little as possible. Huh, sounds justlike trying to squeeze an extra lap or two out of the fuel cell. 😊🐩

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No mode is going to make a difference. Slow down, light on the pedal.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

My car is being delivered next week at a relatively remote dealership far from Level 2 or 3 chargers. I'm going to need to do the first charge overnight at a KOA campground using one of their 50 amp hookups.

So I'm looking for advice on how to maximize the range I get from my car. For example, should I run in "Whisper" mode the whole way? I imagine one tip is to drive at or below the speed limit on the freeway? Any other hints that have worked well for you?

Thanks!
Other will chime in for sure, but here are a few thoughts:

1. Ask dealership to charge the car to 100% before you take delivery.
2. Precondition the car while still on the charger before you head out.
3. Ford claims the efficiency is the same regardless of drive mode, but Whisper or Engaged will make it a bit easier to avoid rapid acceleration.
4. Use ABRP and Plugshare. The former to plan your route and the latter to double check the charger statuses so you don't get stranded at a non-functional charger.
5. Wind resistance increases as a cube of the velocity, so the slower you go, the better your range - by a lot.
6. Be judicious with the use of climate controls, but opening the windows at speed is worse than using the A/C moderately.
7. Have great trip and post a photo of your new baby!

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Other will chime in for sure, but here are a few thoughts:

1. Ask dealership to charge the car to 100% before you take delivery.
2. Precondition the car while still on the charger before you head out.
3. Ford claims the efficiency is the same regardless of drive mode, but Whisper or Engaged will make it a bit easier to avoid rapid acceleration.
4. Use ABRP and Plugshare. The former to plan your route and the latter to double check the charger statuses so you don't get stranded at a non-functional charger.
5. Wind resistance increases as a cube of the velocity, so the slower you go, the better your range - by a lot.
6. Be judicious with the use of climate controls, but opening the windows at speed is worse than using the A/C moderately.
7. Have great trip and post a photo of your new baby!
Thanks! These tips make a lot of sense. But by "precondition the car while still on the charger" do you mean turn on the air conditioning by scheduling my departure ahead of time?

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! These tips make a lot of sense. But by "precondition the car while still on the charger" do you mean turn on the air conditioning by scheduling my departure ahead of time?
Yes, it both cools the car (or warms it, depending on the setting), and also gets the battery to the optimal operating temperature.
Ford Mustang Mach-E GTPE Max Range Tips? Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at 10.00.02 AM

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
The worst enemies of range are speed and cold weather. One won’t be a problem for a couple more months anywhere in the northern hemisphere. The other is completely within your control.
After those two issues you can try drafting behind larger vehicles, keeping the windows rolled up for better aerodynamics, and keeping the cargo weight down.

iankellogg

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus ES 300h, Red Mach E XR AWD
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it both cools the car (or warms it, depending on the setting), and also gets the battery to the optimal operating temperature.
It also slightly over charges the battery giving you a slight above 100% capacity.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Thanks!
What's the milage on the two legs?

I'm gonna disagree with everyone here and tell you to drive the car and enjoy it. Slowing down etc will only squeeze a few extra miles out of it. Everything else is out of your control and climate related. Headwind is one of the worst unpredictable drops.

Unless you are pushing the range to the very max don't worry about it. On long trips I always leave myself 50 extra miles and adjust to fewer as I go.

The number one thing that reduces range on my GTPE is driving at night. All the lights will take about .5 miles/kWh off my range. That adds up.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
If you want to maximize range, go the speed limit and turn off climate control. But why do you want to maximize range in a GTPE? If you hit the accelerator right, you can spin the wheels. And who doesn't love a WOT or two? Or eight?

By the way, the Ford navigation system is pretty good about estimating the battery SOC at destination. If it says you will have more than 10%, don't worry about it. Just monitor the charge at destination and slow down if it is getting too low.

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
Yeah enjoy the car don't worry about trying to max range it. Feel the torque!!!

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
What's the milage on the two legs?
But why do you want to maximize range in a GTPE?
The reason I need to maximize range is that I'm picking my GTPE up from a dealer at a small town in the Great Plains and driving it home to the West Coast.

The trip will be 1,500 miles and there are very few if any Level 2 or 3 charging stations in the first 500 miles. My first leg, for example, will be 180 miles to a KOA campground where I can charge overnight using a 50-amp hookup. The second leg will be 286 miles with a stop for a couple of hours at a Level 2 charger. At the end of the third leg, I should be able to use Level 3 chargers for the remainder of the trip.

I'm trying to keep each leg under 200 miles just to be conservative and account for headwinds, rising terrain, and all the other factors that may affect EV range. Like they say in aviation, "You can never have too much fuel on board unless you're on fire!"

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The reason I need to maximize range is that I'm picking my GTPE up from a dealer at a small town in the Great Plains and driving it home to the West Coast.

The trip will be 1,500 miles and there are very few if any Level 2 or 3 charging stations in the first 500 miles. My first leg, for example, will be 180 miles to a KOA campground where I can charge overnight using a 50-amp hookup. The second leg will be 286 miles with a stop for a couple of hours at a Level 2 charger. At the end of the third leg, I should be able to use Level 3 chargers for the remainder of the trip.

I'm trying to keep each leg under 200 miles just to be conservative and account for headwinds, rising terrain, and all the other factors that may affect EV range. Like they say in aviation, "You can never have too much fuel on board unless you're on fire!"
That's the perfect way to get to know your new car. I picked mine up in NJ and drove it home to VA - a seven hour trip. Definitely not 1500 miles and I had plenty of DCFC options on the way, but I really enjoyed it.

Let us know how it goes!

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

The first 180 should be no problem. The 286 you won't make without stopping. I would count on a little more than a 2 hour stop. On level 2 for the 286 leg I would probably want about 3-4 hours of juice.
Sponsored