GTPE would you buy it again?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Maybe on a prepped surface, but in real world the Audi will be long gone while the GT500 is just sittings struggling for grip and will only claw it back due to the top speed given a long enough stretch of road. The GT500 has serious traction problems off the line on typical non perfect road surfaces.

But in answer to the original op question, would I purchase the GTPE again given the chance it is a NO from me, it certainly works well for what I use it for pottering to the shops and crawling along in commuter traffic, as it is quite and rides well thanks to magneride, but I am in the camp that the interior quality has no place in a vehicle of the asking price and while I didn't get it for the performance based on what marketing had been pushing and what engineering ended up delivering on current form it can not be taken seriously as a performance BEV either.

I am no fan of Tesla so when with it comes to alternative BEV options there isn't a huge amount to chose from at present so it is a commendable effort from Ford and the GTPE will certainly be replaced with another BEV, but when that time comes unless Ford makes serious improvements to the GTPE over the length of my options term I will be spending my hard earn coin elsewhere as letting marketing write checks that engineering couldn't cash leaves me with zero faith that any future products will not suffer the same problem.
So you’re in the “NO” category, which is fine.

It does beg two curious questions of mine then.

1. You have a time machine, you go back and don’t buy the Mach E, what do you buy instead?

2. Assuming that the car in question 1 is available now, what’s stopping you from selling your Mach E today at a profit and buying that car?

We have a very unique opportunity in history right now. You don’t need a time machine. You can get out of a new car regrettable purchase and even make money. So I’m just curious what’s stopping the unhappy people from doing it. Just to be clear, this is not a criticism. Just curiosity about what’s stopping people.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rsfloodco

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

1. You have a time machine, you go back and don’t buy the Mach E, what do you buy instead?

2. Assuming that the car in question 1 is available now, what’s stopping you from selling your Mach E today at a profit and buying that car?

We have a very unique opportunity in history right now. You don’t need a time machine. You can get out of a new car regrettable purchase and even make money. So I’m just curious what’s stopping the unhappy people from doing it. Just to be clear, this is not a criticism. Just curiosity about what’s stopping people.
It’s a reasonable question but it would have a multifaceted answer and I’ll try to simplify since I’ve had a few people tell me indignantly this is what I need to do. Not saying you are but others have.
1. As I’ve said, the cars a blast and likely the best option out there but can a person be dissatisfied with piece without throwing out the whole?
2. Ford still hasn’t figured out my ongoing suspension default and it goes in the shop again today. 5th time.
3. If I could go back in time, I’d not buy anything and wait to see if Ford could figure it out over the next few years.
4. I’m not 100% all those buyers are out there and once the 10k credit is gone?
5. I am filing a lemon complaint with Ford today to begin the process of them potentially taking the car back.
I’ve got other reason but there’s a few for you.

cvk71

First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E GT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ, 1962 Ranchero,
Occupation
Operations Manager
Country flag
I would and I still can't get PAK to work. I hit the 5 second thing regularly, I would really like it gone, but in 95% of my driving it's a non issue. I just took a 900 mile round trip and I can tell you it accelerates quite nicely above 80 mph to get around the slow pokes on I-5. It's the best all around vehicle I've owned, and even though some things could be better, I cannot think of another vehicle that could replace it at it's price point.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It’s a reasonable question but it would have a multifaceted answer and I’ll try to simplify since I’ve had a few people tell me indignantly this is what I need to do. Not saying you are but others have.
1. As I’ve said, the cars a blast and likely the best option out there but can a person be dissatisfied with piece without throwing out the whole?
2. Ford still hasn’t figured out my ongoing suspension default and it goes in the shop again today. 5th time.
3. If I could go back in time, I’d not buy anything and wait to see if Ford could figure it out over the next few years.
4. I’m not 100% all those buyers are out there and once the 10k credit is gone?
5. I am filing a lemon complaint with Ford today to begin the process of them potentially taking the car back.
I’ve got other reason but there’s a few for you.
I think it’s a fair assessment and response. And I’m curious because everyone’s situation is different.

“Keep my old car,” seems a logical reason to not sell today even if you’re in the “I wouldn’t do it again” camp.

The other part that gets me curious is the “what else would you have bought?” Question.

For me it was the GTPE or keep my old car (Chevy SS). Because even with its faults, nothing else on the road interested me enough since 2015 to consider writing a check to buy.

OP
OP
rsfloodco

rsfloodco

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT PE
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I think it’s a fair assessment and response. And I’m curious because everyone’s situation is different.

“Keep my old car,” seems a logical reason to not sell today even if you’re in the “I wouldn’t do it again” camp.

The other part that gets me curious is the “what else would you have bought?” Question.

For me it was the GTPE or keep my old car (Chevy SS). Because even with its faults, nothing else on the road interested me enough since 2015 to consider writing a check to buy.
Although this experience has soured me a little on Ford, I’d be interested in the new Bronco and Lightning. I like unique. As far as sports car, I’d go with the Etron GT. That said, they’re all unproven and I’d be risking the same outcome. I would also consider a Jeep Wrangler.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag

For various reasons I needed to get the EV last year, the GTPE was supposed to have turned up around march last year based on when I put in my original reservation way back in November 2019. Nothing Ford could have done about the delays, which also had a delayed everything else so the potential alternatives where even further out

Neither of the alternatives are available now (i4 m50, gv60, kia ev6 GT) and won't be readily available for a while, the GTPE is doing its job and is an interesting first dipping of my big toe in the world of using a BEV as my daily driver rather just occasional drives I have done previously, so I am happy to continue with a BEV in that role but based on Fords efforts so far I will be looking elsewhere towards a brand that is far more honest and transparent in its marketing / specifications and doesn't start bean counting and decontenting the model at the first opportunity, if Ford changes from that then they may get another look in future.

Frankie

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E GTPE
Country flag
Elon Musk is a jackwagon and refusing to buy a Tesla because of him is an entirely valid line of reasoning but there is zero question that Teslas are far superior to the Mach in both efficiency and acceleration. This wouldn't have been as big a deal if Ford had made an E-Scape instead of a Mach-E but they made that decision and it was an extremely poor one IMO. An Escape performing so poorly above 60 mph is one thing but when you call it a Mustang GT Performance Edition people, rightfully, have different expectations, and trapping 7 mph slower than a Volvo that essentially has zero sporting pretentions is just embarrassing.

I'm trying to get rid of this turd Ford sold me and if I can do so without losing too much money I'll either get a Tesla or I'll wait for the BMW or maybe a Ioniq 5 GT.

And if I do go through with my Bronco reservation it'll just be to flip it. Ford can kiss my rear, their dishonesty, deceptive marketing, and horrible reservation system they set up has lost them a lifelong customer.

babgvant

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
I've only had my GTPE for a few weeks, so massive caveat.

There are a few things that annoy me about the car like the lack of seat bottom tilt (?), and that you can't create an "Individual" drive mode setting (e.g. softer suspension in Unbridled mode, or firmer in Engage). Coming from an Audi S4, it was a step backwards on both of those fronts. Massive step forward in practically, and the excellent build quality was a fantastic surprise. This is the first Ford that I've sat in that was nice to touch and look at from the inside.

I knew about the top speed and 5 second limitations. I would like to see the 5 second thing go away, or at least get better, but I haven't run into it in my daily driving. The car is STUPID fast, frankly I'm kind of surprised that I haven't gotten a ticket. Often find myself driving way over the speed limit or accelerating too quickly because the audible cues that I would use aren't there.

So YES. I would totally buy it again :).

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Yes. We've now have the car for 2 full months and 1500mi. Have had zero issues so far. Actually considering picking up a second one. Cant wait for summer to put back the performance tires on and so how this really handles.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
There are a few things that annoy me about the car like the lack of seat bottom tilt (?), and that you can't create an "Individual" drive mode setting (e.g. softer suspension in Unbridled mode, or firmer in Engage). Coming from an Audi S4, it was a step backwards on both of those fronts.
The lack of individual modes, has been brought up by a few people and is really shorted sighted on Fords part, but this is problem Ford have had for years with various models that have had mode options where you cannot select from the various presets. to get an ideal, I had the exact same complaint with my Focus RS but there at least I could toggle the suspension settings.

I end up driving around in whisper as it has 2 items set up how I want vs 1 of the others, it really should be a case being able of pick from the presets to suit your tastes rather than having to pick the lesser poison. With OTA Ford have the opportunity at least to fix this, after all it is not like the screen doesn't have space to add one or even two user modes.

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
Yes. We've now have the car for 2 full months and 1500mi. Have had zero issues so far. Actually considering picking up a second one. Cant wait for summer to put back the performance tires on and so how this really handles.
Hey Brad,

I like to see the Space White GTPE as I was contemplating on that color or the Grabber Orange I ordered.

Would you post a pic of your car, please......THX

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Dang, I love driving my GT. It's so much fun, it's a comfy cruiser on the freeway, and is a stoplight drag racer around town. It also looks so beautiful everytime I see it parked out on the street.

That being said, I'm not 100% sure I'd buy it again. The bouncy suspension is annoying and my ego is still bruised knowing my GT can't go toe to toe with a MYP for more than 5 seconds.

Arjan

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Yes ! Absolutely love the car and have never had a nicer one in 30 years.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
Hey Brad,

I like to see the Space White GTPE as I was contemplating on that color or the Grabber Orange I ordered.

Would you post a pic of your car, please......THX
OP posted some pictures for you. Space White changes from white to a light grey depending on the lighting. At night it definitely looks more grey. Very happy with the color.
Sponsored