John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
When I bought my extended warranty, I did a lot of cross-shopping amongst the online sellers. Zieglerā€™s price couldnā€™t be beaten!

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2wd Premium
Country flag
I traded in a Flex that had a warranty from them also. I got a nice refund back from them so it is really risk free to add.

Rohan

First Name
Rohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2022 Premium AWD
Country flag

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Until what point(s) can you add a 6 year 100k warranty? How long since purchase & how many miles?
You can add any Ford warranty up to 41 months / 41,000 miles.

After 12 months / 12,000 miles it costs a tad more.
After 36 months / 36,000 miles it costs more AND may require it be inspected by a dealer, for a fee.

hayhayday

First Name
hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 GT
Country flag
I traded in a Flex that had a warranty from them also. I got a nice refund back from them so it is really risk free to add.
Did the prorate start based on esp purchase or when factory warranty expired? eg would cancelling a 6 year warranty at year 4 give you 2\6ths(year5&6) back or 2\3(1-3 factory , year 4 used 5&6 refunded)

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I also added the extended warranty last week. I have a 2021 purchased at the end of March 22, so I was just under the 1 year mark. Like you said, nothing better, so I took PremiumCare out to 8yrs and 100k. I am excited to drive this car until 2030 and beyond! And if the EV landscape drastically changes/improves (solid state, 5min re-charge, yada yada) we will just be upgrading our Highlander in that case.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Did the prorate start based on esp purchase or when factory warranty expired? eg would cancelling a 6 year warranty at year 4 give you 2\6ths(year5&6) back or 2\3(1-3 factory , year 4 used 5&6 refunded)
All warranties begin when the factory warrantied STARTED.

So, a 6 year warranty is really 3 additional years.

As to how much is refunded, can't speak to that.

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I think that's the right move. I am about to do that with my F-150. Have leased most of our vehicles for a while now, and looking at '23 F-150s, they have a bunch of stuff missing that mine has and costs a good deal more on top. So likely going to buy out the lease and hang onto it at least until Ford brings back removed content and maybe we see rates start to cool. Also glad I got my MME when we did as we still got a '22, but before the '22 price increase and later '23 price increase.

With all that in mind, probably keeping both of these for longer than we have kept maybe any vehicle before. Thankfully both have so far been great to us, I feel for people that have a lemon they got when rates were in the 1.9% range and now have to find a new vehicle with rates at least doubled if not worse.

Ajax

First Name
Ajax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue 4x Extended
Country flag
Did you do the ESP + maintenance or ESP only? I'm guessing the latter but wanted to double check.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Did you do the ESP + maintenance or ESP only? I'm guessing the latter but wanted to double check.
I did ESP only, no maintenance, $100 deductible but added lights and bulbs. I bought through granger

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Well my 2021 is at 22k miles now and given car prices and ridiculous wait times an finance rates I've decided to keep my mme. I added a 6 year 100k Ford warranty from the following, pretty good rates and discounted from my dealership.

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/?gcl...UJVDLozzDDx0Z296lYLOUJFroP65bqpBoCfrYQAvD_BwE
I have owned around 100 cars in my lifetime and have never purchased an extended warranty. If I would have purchased an extended warranty on all of the new cars purchased, I could have purchased a nice home with that money instead.

With that being said, the law of averages are really working against you when you purchase the extended warranty. Companies like Ford make profits similar to what McDonalds make on their soda drinks when they sell these warranties.

Now maybe I am lucky, but I would have NEVER used (made a claim) on the extended warranty had I purchased it. I have had a few cars well north of 100 k and never had any issues past the original warranty.

Do like I do. Take the money that you spend on an extended warranty and invest it instead. Even if the investment is "bad", you (on average) will still come out financially ahead.

Because I have never purchased an extended warranty, the MME that I am driving could literally explode and be worth zero dollars and I am still way ahead of the game even if I got nothing in return.

EVandSolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV, Tesla M3, Ioniq PHEV(daughter)
Occupation
Medical
Country flag
Ya extended warranties are great for the people selling them, but not worth it for those that buy them. As with anything, there are always exceptions. But with that logic, we should spend money on the lottery because a few people win. Extended warranty companies know that repair costs will, on average, be a lot lower than the premiums they rake in. Ford warrants the major stuff...battery and electric motors....not a whole lot else to worry about on an EV.

Also why the guy in the backroom tries so hard to sell you the extra warranty coverage when you buy a new car from a dealer. It's all profit.

I agree with the previous poster...don't waste money on extended warranties.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yeah we get it, law of averages and blah blah, but an ESP for a vehicle isn't like the lottery and saying it is already shows a lack of understanding of the product.

We have only bought one ESP so far and it was on our Focus Electric. We bought it used and knew we were going to put a lot of miles on it, and I got it for $800 before redeeming some FordPass points (you can use FordPass points towards the cost FYI), and it came down to $600.

Six or seven months into owning that FE, my wife noticed a shudder from the steering wheel. Took it to a Ford dealer and they ended up replacing part of the steering rack, price would have been ~$4000 between parts and labor.

We sold that FE when the MME came in and Flood Ford who we got the ESP through sent us a refund check for the prorated value of the ESP of $600. So $200 in Ford Pass points and the $100 deductible saved us $4k in repair costs. It isn't like these vehicles are getting any easier (or cheaper) to work on either.

Nobody said buy one for every vehicle, so the person that referenced that is missing the point there also unless they have kept every vehicle for 10 years, and if they have, no house short of a barely standing shack could be bought with the ~$15k that would cost you over 100 years of vehicle ownership (Assuming $1500/warranty bought on average, vehicle kept for 10 years each).

Buy an ESP, or don't, I get nothing out of it. I don't buy ESPs for our electronics or appliances because electronics generally get cheaper (our 65" TV was about $1800 when we got it in 2016, an arguably better TV in pure features and image quality can be had for about $500 now), and there is incentive to upgrade anyway. Appliances can either be worked on without too much difficulty, with some exceptions, or don't suffer any major failures during a reasonable life time anyway.

Cars though have SO many components and are getting less repairable every year. I wouldn't buy a 3rd party ESP, but a Ford one I can take to a Ford dealer even if out on a road trip and something goes wrong, that's just insurance. There are some things an ESP won't cover the Bumper to bumper will, it's important to read all the fine print, but don't let people scare you away from it if you decide to get one and also keep in mind you don't have to get until you are close to warranty expiration, which gives you time to get a "feel" for how troublesome a vehicle is likely to be. (You can get it some months after expiration too, as noted earlier, but it gets a lot more expensive/troublesome).
Sponsored