[Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access)

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
First of all, I have @horsiedad to thank 100% for this idea as I got the idea from him and I have to credit the original creator of the idea @dtbaker61 and his post here. I didn't know that @dtbaker61 had originally done this. My way was different than his so credits to him, but here's a different take at the same thing.

The jump point access to the MME is ridiculously troublesome to get to... It's not hard to get to it, but it's not something you want to do when you need access to it. It requires the removal of a couple plastic trim pieces in the frunk. If you're unlucky enough like me you'll break the clip on the trim piece and swear at Ford for 30 minutes straight.

So let's get into to it (Click on pictures to expand them):

Step 1 - Remove the plastic trim pieces. This starts with the plastic trim piece along the upper part of the Frunk where the windshield is. Then remove the plastic trim on the right hand side of the Frunk where the + and - are imprinted into the plastic.

Try not to break the plastic clip like I did, which I had to JB Weld back on.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_201856349

Step 2 - Mark the location of the pilot holes on the underside of the right hand trim piece and then drill them with a small drill bit.
  • The ground pole is located along side the second stabilizer. Holding your drill bit along the stabilizer 3/8" from the lower edge is where to drill the pilot hole
  • The positive point is located 7/16" above the centerline of the clip in the below picture and 2 1/2" from the centerline moving towards the center of the trim.
Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_193051354

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_193034489

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_193021792

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_193103614~2
Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_193109466~2

Step 3 - Turn the trim piece over and drill 2" holes where the pilots are located with a hole saw
Step 4 - Ream the holes. I used a ream tool for copper pipe which works really well.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_200455763

Step 5 - Cut the stabilizer tabs in the back at the negiative jump point. You have to cut these back a bit because they will interfere with the plug and prevent it from grabbing if you don't.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_201454901

Step 6 - Sand the holes. I used a 150 grit and followed it with a wet 1000.
Step 7 - Put the car back together and put the plugs in! The plugs can be obtained from Amazon. Just search for 2" plugs. Make sure you get some that will work on 1/8" thick plastic.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_200939172

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_202548758

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) PXL_20211031_202544782

NOTE: A note for anyone who got this far. There are templates provided in this thread from other users. The difference between the two methods (mine vs theirs) is the following. You can decide which method you prefer.

My Method: Holes are located directly above the jump points. The center of the hole is center with the jump points. This means that the + icon is sacrificed.

Other Method: Holes are offset and are not centered on the jump points. Both the - and + icons are spared.

Last edited:

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
First of all, I have @horsiedad to thank 100% for this idea. It was completely his idea and I'm just making a short guide to help people do this the correct way!
Thanks for the shout-out, but it wasn't originally my idea. I saw it elsewhere on the forum. FWIW, I did not remove any of the plastic shrouding. I just lined up the holes by sight based on other people's pictures and used a two-inch hole saw. Easy-peasy.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Thanks for the shout-out, but it wasn't originally my idea. I saw it elsewhere on the forum. FWIW, I did not remove any of the plastic shrouding. I just lined up the holes by sight based on other people's pictures and used a two-inch hole saw. Easy-peasy.
Well I got it from you, so credit to you from me :)

I figured I would measure it out and make a guide so that the next person doesn't have to figure it out like we did. I wouldn't have eye balled it, so you're a braver soul than I.

Thanks again!

williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
Nice mod! Was curious if a 2 inch diameter is enough to fit most jumper cable connectors?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Nice mod! Was curious if a 2 inch diameter is enough to fit most jumper cable connectors?
It fits mine for the power supply that I use for updating the car. I'm not sure if all cables will be the same. I think you could maybe, emphasis on maybe, go 2.5". At 2" you are really close to the part of the plastic that dips down to that fill cap on the positive and on the negative you'll go under the upper trim piece if you go larger. So you might be able to get a little more out of it.

williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
It fits mine for the power supply that I use for updating the car. I'm not sure if all cables will be the same. I think you could maybe, emphasis on maybe, go 2.5". At 2" you are really close to the part of the plastic that dips down to that fill cap on the positive and on the negative you'll go under the upper trim piece if you go larger. So you might be able to get a little more out of it.
Any chance you can take a pic of the underside of the trim piece with the completed holes? Just curious to see the completed work

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Any chance you can take a pic of the underside of the trim piece with the completed holes? Just curious to see the completed work
You mean with the trim removed from the car or with the car completely put back together?

williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
You mean with the trim removed from the car or with the car completely put back together?
Removed if You don’t mind. No rush

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@williswong I might get around to it, but I don't want to risk the JB Weld plastic epoxy for 72 hours since I just repaired that today. The picture in step 5 is the underside after it was complete. I know it's not both holes, but that's the only underside picture I took.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I wonder if it would be worth installing something like this in the wall of the frunk:
I originally thought about that as I have one similar installed on a comms box at my property gate. I also thought about using the battery leads that go to the bumper. The reason I didn't use either is because I don't know the implications of not using the jump points for power supply during updates, since that's the purpose that I'm trying to achieve. I also didn't want to have to splice into the cars wiring at those jump points. I figured cutting plastic was easier ?

You are the forum battery wizard so I'm sure you would probably feel more comfy tackling something like that.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the shout-out, but it wasn't originally my idea. I saw it elsewhere on the forum.
Yes, Dan did a write up on this back in March https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-add-access-ports-for-lvb-connection-points.4107/

It is interesting to see the different ways people use to achieve the same result though. When I did mine, I wanted to make sure I still saw the "+" symbol on the panel when I got done drilling the hole which most people seem to eliminate because they want to be right over the positive terminal connection. I drilled my hole slightly to the right so I could retain that symbol and my clamp fits down inside and connects to that positive terminal.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Better Jump Point Access (Battery Access) NZ7_5426DD

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag