H&R Block Software - missing charger credit form (8911)

Mike_1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
That is interesting, because the instructions I found on-line (independent of H&R Block) said to do it the way, even for personal use. So that is what I did and I got my refund.
Yeah, I'm not a tax expert. I'm just reading this line from the Form 8911:

Personal use part of credit. Enter the smaller of line 13 or line 18 here and on Schedule 3 (Form 1040), line 6j; or the appropriate line of your return.​
Sponsored

the golden eel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
Not sure if I should resurrect this old thread or start a new one, but either way I wanted to give a little visibility to the fact that this has not changed for the 2022 tax year.

H&R Block tax software does not currently support form 8911. Form 8911 allows you to file for a 30% tax credit (up to $1000) for the cost of purchasing and installing an EVSE charger at your home.

I will be contacting H&R Block this morning and urge any others who were planning on using H&R Block software to do the same. Hopefully if we can get a few people to contact them about this now they could add 8911 support and have an update ready by early next month.

Turbo Tax - which I assume is their main software competitor - does have form 8911 support. Which I will be sure to let them know.

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Not sure if I should resurrect this old thread or start a new one, but either way I wanted to give a little visibility to the fact that this has not changed for the 2022 tax year.

H&R Block tax software does not currently support form 8911. Form 8911 allows you to file for a 30% tax credit (up to $1000) for the cost of purchasing and installing an EVSE charger at your home.

I will be contacting H&R Block this morning and urge any others who were planning on using H&R Block software to do the same. Hopefully if we can get a few people to contact them about this now they could add 8911 support and have an update ready by early next month.

Turbo Tax - which I assume is their main software competitor - does have form 8911 support. Which I will be sure to let them know.

I don't think this was extended in 2022 and I don't think the IRA addressed this actually. This was one of the reasons I wasn't sure if I should even buy an EVSE (I did anyways). I assume the 30% credit doesn't apply for tax year 2022:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

I found this article so it might be extremely limited:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/lynnmu...property-credit-limited-under-democrats-bill/

"...in order for property to be deemed qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property, the IRA requires that the property be placed in an eligible census tract. An eligible census tract for this credit includes low-income communities as defined under §45D(e)."

Maybe you can also plug your address in here to qualify based on non-metro areas:
https://www.novoco.com/resource-centers/new-markets-tax-credits/data-tools/nmtc-mapping-tool

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag

MTG

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E GTPE - Cyber Orange
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag

Have you heard anything back from H&R Block? I was starting my taxes today and I didn't see form 8911 yet.

Icefreezen

First Name
Eisen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E and F150
Country flag
Next update is on February 3rd but could go as far as Feb 17. Just got off chat.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
No, I've given up on them for this year. I guess, I'll do TurboTax.
This is good info - I have been using H&R online for years - if they don't put up 8911 then I will change too.>

MTG

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E GTPE - Cyber Orange
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
Country flag

dmac1418

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E '23 Premium SR RWD
Country flag
If H&R doesn't sort it out, look at FreeTaxUSA. They have the EV Charger Credit form available (as does TurboTax). I ran my numbers in both and they came up with the same credit amount.

I filled with FTU last year - I don't like paying for a service that should be free.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
If H&R doesn't sort it out, look at FreeTaxUSA. They have the EV Charger Credit form available (as does TurboTax). I ran my numbers in both and they came up with the same credit amount.

I filled with FTU last year - I don't like paying for a service that should be free.
Does FreeTaxUSA support Schedule C ??