Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Premium RWD ER Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
IT Project Coordinator
Country flag
So okay, this is a long post so I apologize now and there will be a TLDR at the end.

So about 2.5 weeks ago I placed my order for the Mach-e online. The rep from the dealership called and told me there was some glitch on their end and the couldn’t see my initial order and they would have to place a new order for me in their system. I said fine, no problem. Over the phone I went through the specs, the color, trim, everything and made sure he had it correct before I signed anything. He assured me he had it all down just like I wanted and e-mailed me the documents to sign. I quickly read and signed them and sent them back. Now, it’s important to note that none of the documents had an order number on it or show up in my Ford account online. The original reservation, did.

The next day, after discussing with my boyfriend, we decided that since this would be the primary car we would want the extended range. So I texted the rep and asked if it would be any problem to adjust the order. He replied that no, it was not a problem at all and that he had taken care of it. Great.

Fast forward a few days and I get an email from Ford saying my order had been confirmed and the specs matched the updated order with the ER. Still no order number on this and not showing up in my Ford account. This was fine, as what I’ve come to expect from reading these forums, I wouldn’t be able to track it until I get a VIN because it wasn’t placed with my Ford account. But, the original reservation still showed (the Standard Range).

Then, about a week later, I got two emails from Ford saying my order was confirmed identical to the original email from a week earlier but this time the two new emails both showed the Standard Range one. So I called and had to jump through several hoops to get to the one guy who could help (evidently there is only one person who handles or knows anything about ordered vehicles at that entire location). After some discussion trying to explain the situation, he assured me that he had taken the incorrect orders out of the system and the only order showing was for the 91 kW battery, the Extended Range one.

Now, about 5 days after that, my Ford account still shows the SR order as my only order. And after a scare this morning driving in the rain in my FWD I decided it was with just an extra couple thousand over a few years to get the extra peace of mind of AWD. So I drove down to the dealership to take care of several things:

1.) Try to straighten out the mess or at least have some documentation assuring me that the SR order would not be coming in and was indeed cancelled

2.) To inquire about whether we could adjust my existing order or if I would have to cancel and place a new order to get the AWD (which I was fine with, even with the new higher prices, it will be worth it to feel safe and to have my family feel safe as my car is the primary car)

3.) To ensure that the x-plan would be accepted there and that they wouldn’t charge any ADM. (with the craziness of the initial order day, I totally forgot to ask when speaking with the rep in the first place)

So, I get there and they are all just hanging outside like they’re on a lunch break and barely acknowledge me but look to my boyfriend and as casually as can be ask “Can we help you?” And I answer “Yes, you can, my name is Laura and I have an order with y’all for a Mach-e and had a few questions I wanted to ask.” They shut me down, we’re like “We can’t help, there’s only one guy here who handles orders and he don’t work Saturdays, but you can call him 8-5 on Monday.” (Side note-I work 7-4 on monday) Another guy walks up and says “Well what kind of questions?” So I say “First off I just was wondering if on orders y’all charge any markup and do y’all accept the x-plan.” He told me that oh yeah they usually add a significant markup and that they do not accept the X-plan but that it might possibly change in the future and to call back on Monday to find out. (Side note—we’re just standing outside in the rain this whole time, they’re still leaning on things just like they’re on some kind of lunch break)

Just the demeanor and disinterest in helping me just made me feel like they didn’t value my money that I was giving them just really bothered me. Also, the fact that they kept looking to my boyfriend to intervene or step up (the boy admittedly doesn’t know anything about new cars or the purchasing/ordering process). The whole reason I didn’t want to call but actually come in person was to straighten out this mess and ensure that everything was clearly communicated.

Well, after that whole experience I just decided to hell with it and that I would call on Monday to cancel any existing orders that I have with their dealership. (I would love to get my money back, but so long as I’m done with their dealership, that’s enough of a refund to me).

After leaving that dealership (Stivers in downtown Birmingham for any wondering) I went to Earnest McCarty Ford in Alabaster and was able to walk in and sit down and speak with a rep who assured me before I could even ask the question that they were one of the few dealerships in the area to charge just MSRP. Once I asked about the X-plan he told me he didn’t know but that he was happy to ask his manager and off he went. He returned shortly and said that they did indeed even though it would only be about $500. (Covers the $500 from the other dealership reservation if I don’t get my money back from them). He also said they were all big fans of the Mach-e there and that once I placed the reservation online he would be more than happy to work with me on getting it fully ordered. Also, that the no markup and X-plan honoring would be put in writing at that point. He also shared that they had a charger on-site and that they were ramping up production for 2022 so hopefully shorter wait times than were seen in 2021. (He guesstimated in the 3-4 month range, I’m still geared up for 6-8.) Just a wildly different experience and such a breath of fresh air. Highly recommend!!

Sorry friends, just needed to vent about the frustrating experience at a crappy local dealer and also wanted to make note of a wonderful dealership that does both MSRP and X-plan.

So, TLDR: Messy ordering experience through Stivers Ford in downtown Birmingham and generally poor customer experience upon arrival at dealership. So I am cancelling that order and just placed a new one with Earnest McCarty Ford in Alabaster, AL who guaranteed MSRP and X-plan would be honored.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
So okay, this is a long post so I apologize now and there will be a TLDR at the end.

So about 2.5 weeks ago I placed my order for the Mach-e online. The rep from the dealership called and told me there was some glitch on their end and the couldn’t see my initial order and they would have to place a new order for me in their system. I said fine, no problem. Over the phone I went through the specs, the color, trim, everything and made sure he had it correct before I signed anything. He assured me he had it all down just like I wanted and e-mailed me the documents to sign. I quickly read and signed them and sent them back. Now, it’s important to note that none of the documents had an order number on it or show up in my Ford account online. The original reservation, did.

The next day, after discussing with my boyfriend, we decided that since this would be the primary car we would want the extended range. So I texted the rep and asked if it would be any problem to adjust the order. He replied that no, it was not a problem at all and that he had taken care of it. Great.

Fast forward a few days and I get an email from Ford saying my order had been confirmed and the specs matched the updated order with the ER. Still no order number on this and not showing up in my Ford account. This was fine, as what I’ve come to expect from reading these forums, I wouldn’t be able to track it until I get a VIN because it wasn’t placed with my Ford account. But, the original reservation still showed (the Standard Range).

Then, about a week later, I got two emails from Ford saying my order was confirmed identical to the original email from a week earlier but this time the two new emails both showed the Standard Range one. So I called and had to jump through several hoops to get to the one guy who could help (evidently there is only one person who handles or knows anything about ordered vehicles at that entire location). After some discussion trying to explain the situation, he assured me that he had taken the incorrect orders out of the system and the only order showing was for the 91 kW battery, the Extended Range one.

Now, about 5 days after that, my Ford account still shows the SR order as my only order. And after a scare this morning driving in the rain in my FWD I decided it was with just an extra couple thousand over a few years to get the extra peace of mind of AWD. So I drove down to the dealership to take care of several things:

1.) Try to straighten out the mess or at least have some documentation assuring me that the SR order would not be coming in and was indeed cancelled

2.) To inquire about whether we could adjust my existing order or if I would have to cancel and place a new order to get the AWD (which I was fine with, even with the new higher prices, it will be worth it to feel safe and to have my family feel safe as my car is the primary car)

3.) To ensure that the x-plan would be accepted there and that they wouldn’t charge any ADM. (with the craziness of the initial order day, I totally forgot to ask when speaking with the rep in the first place)

So, I get there and they are all just hanging outside like they’re on a lunch break and barely acknowledge me but look to my boyfriend and as casually as can be ask “Can we help you?” And I answer “Yes, you can, my name is Laura and I have an order with y’all for a Mach-e and had a few questions I wanted to ask.” They shut me down, we’re like “We can’t help, there’s only one guy here who handles orders and he don’t work Saturdays, but you can call him 8-5 on Monday.” (Side note-I work 7-4 on monday) Another guy walks up and says “Well what kind of questions?” So I say “First off I just was wondering if on orders y’all charge any markup and do y’all accept the x-plan.” He told me that oh yeah they usually add a significant markup and that they do not accept the X-plan but that it might possibly change in the future and to call back on Monday to find out. (Side note—we’re just standing outside in the rain this whole time, they’re still leaning on things just like they’re on some kind of lunch break)

Just the demeanor and disinterest in helping me just made me feel like they didn’t value my money that I was giving them just really bothered me. Also, the fact that they kept looking to my boyfriend to intervene or step up (the boy admittedly doesn’t know anything about new cars or the purchasing/ordering process). The whole reason I didn’t want to call but actually come in person was to straighten out this mess and ensure that everything was clearly communicated.

Well, after that whole experience I just decided to hell with it and that I would call on Monday to cancel any existing orders that I have with their dealership. (I would love to get my money back, but so long as I’m done with their dealership, that’s enough of a refund to me).

After leaving that dealership (Stivers in downtown Birmingham for any wondering) I went to Earnest McCarty Ford in Alabaster and was able to walk in and sit down and speak with a rep who assured me before I could even ask the question that they were one of the few dealerships in the area to charge just MSRP. Once I asked about the X-plan he told me he didn’t know but that he was happy to ask his manager and off he went. He returned shortly and said that they did indeed even though it would only be about $500. (Covers the $500 from the other dealership reservation if I don’t get my money back from them). He also said they were all big fans of the Mach-e there and that once I placed the reservation online he would be more than happy to work with me on getting it fully ordered. Also, that the no markup and X-plan honoring would be put in writing at that point. He also shared that they had a charger on-site and that they were ramping up production for 2022 so hopefully shorter wait times than were seen in 2021. (He guesstimated in the 3-4 month range, I’m still geared up for 6-8.) Just a wildly different experience and such a breath of fresh air. Highly recommend!!

Sorry friends, just needed to vent about the frustrating experience at a crappy local dealer and also wanted to make note of a wonderful dealership that does both MSRP and X-plan.

So, TLDR: Messy ordering experience through Stivers Ford in downtown Birmingham and generally poor customer experience upon arrival at dealership. So I am cancelling that order and just placed a new one with Earnest McCarty Ford in Alabaster, AL who guaranteed MSRP and X-plan would be honored.
Yeah, car dealers tend to be a mysogynistic bunch. The first dealer clearly was not one worth dealing with - ever. Good call canceling, and good luck with your ER AWD. You'll love it!

OP
OP
Applegirl2020

Applegirl2020

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Project Coordinator
Country flag
Yeah, car dealers tend to be a mysogynistic bunch. The first dealer clearly was not one worth dealing with - ever. Good call canceling, and good luck with your ER AWD. You'll love it!
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it! I got the opportunity to test drive a GT MME and I fell in love! Can't wait to get my sweet electric pony next year! ?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it! I got the opportunity to test drive a GT MME and I fell in love! Can't wait to get my sweet electric pony next year! ?
Yes, BEV's really are just more fun to drive! I would have loved to get the ER AWD, but NJ had a $5000 rebate that had a cap which meant the ER AWD wasn't eligible. So I had the choice of SR AWD or ER RWD, and ended up getting a RT1 (ER RWD) for the bigger battery. While it would have been nice to have the much better acceleration and surefootedness of the AWD, the ER does great for longer distance travel. From where I live I can make it to NYC, Baltimore, the Jersey Shore, and my Sister-in-law's in Lancaster with plenty of battery to spare. It's my fourth Mustang so the RWD didn't worry me too much :).

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
MSRP and X-Plan is an oxymoron.

You can't have both. If you use X-Plan, it's less than MSRP. Period.

If a dealer charges ADM on a vehicle, then it can't be X-Plan and neither is it MSRP.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If a dealer charges ADM on a vehicle, then it can't be X-Plan and neither is it MSRP.
Dealers are allowed to add markup for modifications to the vehicle and other value added things like service plans.

Maybe you don't consider window tinting that's put on before you agree to buy a vehicle as ADM, but I definitely do.

Many dealers here have "packages" of ADM. Names like Desert Protection Package are popular here. By you it'd be something like Road Salt Enhancement Package or some nonsense like that.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
@Applegirl2020 You have to be comfortable with your dealer and confident they’re looking out for your order in the hopes of a long term relationship. You did nothing wrong and it was, in fact, a good move. Let us know how this all works out as time goes on.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag

Sorry you had to go through all that, glad you got to order what you want with a dealer you can do business with.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Glad you ended up in a much better decision. Especially early on before waiting 8 months like many of us did. Then ending up afraid to make changes for fear of starting over or losing a car.

A great post for all to read before they get involved with a bad dealer. Get everything in writing!

welcome to the club with a lot less stress!?

The_Boots

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dark Matter Gray SR AWD
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I'm constantly amazed at the crap people are getting from their dealers. I got lucky and the dealer I went to had no issue with X-plan pricing, didn't make me pay a deposit, no ADM, and didn't even TRY to mention an upsell. Didn't realize I got so lucky!
And a +1 for sticking it to misogynistic idiots. If you can't be professional and treat customers with courtesy no matter who they are, you don't deserve to get a sale-- I don't care how high demand is.

DanHo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME RR 4x & 17 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
In this situation you're not really sticking it to the dealer. They have an order on the books now that won't have a customer constantly bothering them about it when its been 6 months and no car, they'll be able to sell in a heartbeat, and can add on all the ADM they think they can get. IMO, the dealer doesn't care that you walked.

OP
OP
Applegirl2020

Applegirl2020

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Project Coordinator
Country flag
Thank you everyone! I really just wanted to share my experience so others could be informed and just to vent as it had been a really frustrating process up to that point. The only reason I knew to go and ask about these things is because of this forum and the dedicated Facebook groups. They're such great resources and this is such a fun community.

As for my goal with leaving the first dealer, it wasn't so much to stick it to that particular dealer as much as to get myself into a better situation with a better dealer, which it seems to have. The whole experience speaking with the new dealer and beginning the process again, was just a night and day difference. Now, I feel very comfortable with how this process will proceed over the next 6-8 months.

Also, I promise as updates come in I'll update this thread!
Sponsored