Had to use the Frunk for the first time.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I ended up using the frunk last weekend as well for the first time. Had taken the divider out before our trip (very easy). Stopped by H Mart on our way to IKEA and loaded up our haul from there in the frunk. (Glad we did since IKEA filled up the entire rear of the car...)

One note of advice - the bottom of the frunk will get warm. I stupidly put some Korean radish on the bottom, and after our 4 hour journey back home it was a bit warm. Nothing crazy, but probably wasn't great for the radish.... It was chilly outside, so I had hoped it'd stay on the cooler side. Certainly wouldn't keep your shrimp nice a chilled on a trip.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I used the Frunk on the trip down to hold extension cords and such. Today we are taking our inflatable stand-up paddle boards somewhere to paddle (have been launching from the condo here), so I want to be ready for wet/sandy/muddy gear. I pulled the Frunk dividers last night and now have a nice spot for wet gear. The rolled-up boards will have to go on the cargo area mat in the back. I'll get some photos today.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I ended up using the frunk last weekend as well for the first time. Had taken the divider out before our trip (very easy). Stopped by H Mart on our way to IKEA and loaded up our haul from there in the frunk. (Glad we did since IKEA filled up the entire rear of the car...)

One note of advice - the bottom of the frunk will get warm. I stupidly put some Korean radish on the bottom, and after our 4 hour journey back home it was a bit warm. Nothing crazy, but probably wasn't great for the radish.... It was chilly outside, so I had hoped it'd stay on the cooler side. Certainly wouldn't keep your shrimp nice a chilled on a trip.
tbf all the Ford pictures have shown ice with the shrimp. Pages 39-48 of the Supplemental Frunk Manual even have all that text about the exact sizes and shapes of ice and types of water you should use for the Shrimp Assist System (tm)(R)(C)(def).

and if you refer to page 22, there's the big warning about the system not being designed for any kind of root vegetable storage. I know there was that pre-release render that showed carrots in there, and there's that one picture in the Sync screens that shows potatoes, but the warning is the manual nonetheless.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Does anyone else have trouble closing the frunk consistently? The double latch is a really poor design. I haven't figured out how to easily get it to close flush. More often than not it closes the first latch but doesn't close all the way. I then have to go inside and unlock it again to repeat the process.
It actually takes a little practice. A smooth firm push in good follow-through latch every time. Not quite a slam, but almost

Trede

First Name
Trede
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
On the left and right side of your frunk, there are a couple of those stoppers that you can adjust how aggressive they are...I dialed mine in about a turn and a quarter each, now I can just drop it for 100% close.

flamant15

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone else have trouble closing the frunk consistently? The double latch is a really poor design. I haven't figured out how to easily get it to close flush. More often than not it closes the first latch but doesn't close all the way. I then have to go inside and unlock it again to repeat the process.
I experience the same issue. Can ford put out a video on how to close it properly?

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
On the left and right side of your frunk, there are a couple of those stoppers that you can adjust how aggressive they are...I dialed mine in about a turn and a quarter each, now I can just drop it for 100% close.
Unfortunately for my car, this doesn't help. Even with them all the way down, it won't close without the extra force. I think on mine, its the stoppers close to the latch that aren't adjustable that are causing the issue.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Unfortunately for my car, this doesn't help. Even with them all the way down, it won't close without the extra force. I think on mine, its the stoppers close to the latch that aren't adjustable that are causing the issue.
Mine certainly takes a good amount of force to fully close. But knowing that, I just slam it every time and it closes all the way. As long as you know how much force to apply, I don't see an issue.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Mine certainly takes a good amount of force to fully close. But knowing that, I just slam it every time and it closes all the way. As long as you know how much force to apply, I don't see an issue.
Yeah, it took a few times, but after that I now close it first try every time.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Am I the only one that finds it amusing you're willing to eat something that you can't stand the smell of? :rolleyes:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Am I the only one that finds it amusing you're willing to eat something that you can't stand the smell of? :rolleyes:
so not to speak for anyone else but for me, it's a length of time thing. when I pick up pizza, my Fusion smells like pizza for like two days. that just makes me hungry all the time. ;)

(not that a proper-sized pizza fits in the frunk really but you get my point hopefully)

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I tried that, and noticed zero difference in latch effort. I'm pretty sure the beefy 'return spring' in the latch mech itself is the issue.
Sponsored