Advertisement

Handling on Standard Range vs Extended Range Premium Models

ARK

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone know if the standard range versus extended range models are expected to handle any differently?

I don’t need the greater range and prefer a better handling vehicle. As a result, I ended up ordering the standard range premium because the extended range with its larger battery pack presumably weighs more and this can be expected to impact handling to some extent, unless Ford plans to put in place other performance upgrades to the extended range variants. Does anyone know if Ford has spoken on this? I know the premium AWD standard range and premium AWD extended range have similar acceleration targets, but I’m curious about performance in the twists.

JamieGeek

Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Thor Axis, former C-Max Energi, former Focus Electric
Country flag
Well the LR version will have more weight down low which should hold it to the ground better, but then again that is more mass to move around. I bet its a wash and they all will handle similarly (except, of course, for the GT models since they will have a different suspension).

MattG

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, Subaru Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
A car this heavy....the difference in battery pack won’t be noticeable.

I‘m really curious how this car will handle the twisties...it’s just so darn massive, but that low cg will at least minimize body roll.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicles
2013 Ford Fusion Energi, 2021 Mach-E First Edition (ordered)
Country flag
A car this heavy....the difference in battery pack won’t be noticeable.

I‘m really curious how this car will handle the twisties...it’s just so darn massive, but that low cg will at least minimize body roll.
I'll ask Toonces to try when I get mine.

buzznwood

Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & rs
Country flag
The extra battery pack for the long range is stacked on top of the main pack under the rear seats, so the center of gravity is going to be slightly different. Without published specs of weight distribution the extra weight in the rear of the batteries I expect will probably be more than the front motor so chances are there will be a more rear bias in weight for RWD LR vs AWD LR

All BEV's are heavy so no matter many electronic acronyms manufactures employ to help disguise it physics always prevails so not sure if the differences in weight for standard range vs long range will make a noticeable impact.

Ford have some very good chassis engineers but it will all depend on how the mach-e gets set up as while Ford are capable of making some fun handling and driving vehicles they also are capable of making the complete opposite :(, as the mach-e is c2 based and with the low center of gravity from the batteries I am hopeful that it will be more c2 focus and less c2 kuga/escape when it comes to handling and driving dynamics.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Reaction score
First Name
Gilles
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
The extra battery pack for the long range is stacked on top of the main pack under the rear seats, so the center of gravity is going to be slightly different. Without published specs of weight distribution the extra weight in the rear of the batteries I expect will probably be more than the front motor so chances are there will be a more rear bias in weight for RWD LR vs AWD LR

All BEV's are heavy so no matter many electronic acronyms manufactures employ to help disguise it physics always prevails so not sure if the differences in weight for standard range vs long range will make a noticeable impact.

Ford have some very good chassis engineers but it will all depend on how the mach-e gets set up as while Ford are capable of making some fun handling and driving vehicles they also are capable of making the complete opposite :(, as the mach-e is c2 based and with the low center of gravity from the batteries I am hopeful that it will be more c2 focus and less c2 kuga/escape when it comes to handling and driving dynamics.
The heavier weight on the rear may improve winter handling on the RWD model.

Advertisement