First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
How do I get it back?

I got the free trial for my Job 1 car June/July 2022. I have used it extensively and will surely pay for it when the trial expires. However, I'm now on a 200+ mile trip, and it just won't come on! I'm driving on Interstates in NC that I had used it on before: I485, I85, and I40. Since the trip started on Friday afternoon, its not come on even once.

I'm only posting the after doing a lot of searching - I logged into ford.com and verified that I have it enabled in Connected Services, and it shows my trial ends at the end of June.

Other posts say that you can enable/disable it in the car's Connected tab, but I sure don't see it (and I have 4.1.3 now).I was thinking either the latest update turned it off, or I did inadvertently scrolling through settings. But I sure don't see anything remotely like BC Hands Free in this list:

Ford.jpeg
Sponsored

Howard

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select AWD DMG & '23 Premium RWD ER CG Mach E
Country flag
Take a look in your cruise control settings (under driver assist tab). HFBC can be turned on and off there. Certain settings need to be turned on for HFBC to be able to activate. Maybe one or two of them were disabled.

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
If all the settings are correct, make sure the windshield area (outside of car) in front of the camera (near the review mirror) is clean. I've seen a bug splat cause enough distortion that the car will stay in hands-on and never go hands-free.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
Attached all relevant settings I could find. And WOW - my trial continues until 2073!!!

Ford2.jpeg

Ford4.jpeg

Ford3.jpeg
Looks like a GPS issue to me. The car thinks you’re not within the BC geofence.

Try turning the car off and exit the car for 15 minutes.

Another thing that seems to work for me is to activate cruise control with lane centering (BlueCruise hands on) while not in a BCHF zone, like on a surface street. Then cancel cruise without turning it off (hit cancel not the cruise button). Once on the expressway wait 30 seconds and resume cruise.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I got the free trial for my Job 1 car June/July 2022. I have used it extensively and will surely pay for it when the trial expires.
Well, there’s your first problem. Why are you committing to pay 3yrs for a product that Ford hasn’t committed to upgrade beyond BC1.0, and that doesn’t even work reliably?

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I tried the following in my 100 mile trip home, with several stops (so the car got turned off and on):

- while on a BCHF rated hi way, go to Navigation system and see that Ford's system can see where I am and if I am on a rated interstate - done.

- disabled then reenabled regular Blue Cruise every way I could think of - no change.

- triple checked all the settings to insure lane centering etc was enabled

I got BCHF in July last year, and it has been very reliable (although not 100%), and frankly I like using it even when I have one or more hands on the wheel.

I did see a thread that said if the onboard maps are out of date BCHF mail fail, but those posts were all last Fall.

---

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! In the end it's hopeless and going to call the dealer Monday AM.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Did you turn lane centering off?

Maps are fine.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Looks like a GPS issue to me. The car thinks you’re not within the BC geofence.

Try turning the car off and exit the car for 15 minutes.

Another thing that seems to work for me is to activate cruise control with lane centering (BlueCruise hands on) while not in a BCHF zone, like on a surface street. Then cancel cruise without turning it off (hit cancel not the cruise button). Once on the expressway wait 30 seconds and resume cruise.
When GPS fails, do a Sync reset, it works even while driving. Turning the car on and off will not necessarily fix it. I jsut had that happen to me the other day.

Just bring up the Ford nav and see where it thinks the car is. I was on a freeway and the nav indicated I was driving in a neighborhood miles away.

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Did you turn lane centering off?

Maps are fine.
Ooops - no - I thought it had to be on. Will try tomorrow! But if it's off, and hands free isn't available, then what? I need to turn it on and off by hand each transition? In any case will try it.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ooops - no - I thought it had to be on. Will try tomorrow! But if it's off, and hands free isn't available, then what? I need to turn it on and off by hand each transition? In any case will try it.
He means maybe you shut off lane centering with the button on the steering wheel by accident, which would disable BlueCruise.

If all else fails, pop the frunk and remove the negative battery cable for 5 minutes (you'll need a 10 mm socket). That fixes it on a lot of cars.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Well, there’s your first problem. Why are you committing to pay 3yrs for a product that Ford hasn’t committed to upgrade beyond BC1.0, and that doesn’t even work reliably?
Because he wants to? I may trigger you as well because I plan to do the same thing lol

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
He means maybe you shut off lane centering with the button on the steering wheel by accident, which would disable BlueCruise.

If all else fails, pop the frunk and remove the negative battery cable for 5 minutes (you'll need a 10 mm socket). That fixes it on a lot of cars.
I drove home with lane centering engaged, so it must be on.
Sponsored