Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Is there any chance it was a sunny day and you were driving into the sun? I recently discovered that on a local freeway during certain times of the day the angle of the winter sun is just right to prevent HFBC, and sometimes even HOBC. It's very annoying. These are on sections of the freeway I know to be HF.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Is there any chance it was a sunny day and you were driving into the sun? I recently discovered that on a local freeway during certain times of the day the angle of the winter sun is just right to prevent HFBC, and sometimes even HOBC. It's very annoying. These are on sections of the freeway I know to be HF.
Overcast all three days of this trip. And windshield where camera sits was clean, I even cleaned it anyway.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Overcast all three days of this trip. And windshield where camera sits was clean, I even cleaned it anyway.
Yeah, my windshield is also clean, but it has only happened on sunny days headed into the sun. What windshield washer liquid do you use? (Admittedly I'm grasping at straws.)

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Yeah, my windshield is also clean, but it has only happened on sunny days headed into the sun. What windshield washer liquid do you use? (Admittedly I'm grasping at straws.)
I cleaned it with water this am.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
OK, I'm out of ideas! Sorry. I saws someone else asked you if you checked the built-in Nav to see if it has your location correct, but I don't recall if you replied to that. Have you checked? It would be especially good to check it on a stretch of highway that should have HFBC but doesn't...

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
OK, I'm out of ideas! Sorry. I saws someone else asked you if you checked the built-in Nav to see if it has your location correct, but I don't recall if you replied to that. Have you checked? It would be especially good to check it on a stretch of highway that should have HFBC but doesn't...
I checked on way home. Navigation system was dead on my current location.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
OK, one last thing to try that I don't recall anyone suggesting yet: disconnect the 12V battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. This is a PITA since you need to remove two of the cosmetic panels in the frunk area, but this seems to be the best way to reset modules to a clean (but still programmed) state. Good luck.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Have you turned it on and off 10 times? Maybe it needs to download new maps

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Well, success sorta kinda. Last two days in bed with serious infection. Today finally went out. Got on the interstate, then toggled the "Lane Centering" button on the steering wheel first to off, then back to on. Hit cruise control, it went on, then two seconds later hands free came on.

The only thing I did since Sunday afternoon is toggle that button on and off. So I can only assume some glitch in one of the updates put the car into an indeterminate mode.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions!

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
OK - March 17 drove 200 miles away, BCHF worked fine. Four days later on return, BTHF would not come on for love or money - same interstate route! Called the Ford Dealer, took it in today, they performed TSB-222494 (replaces 22-2105). No long trips on the horizon so can't update on whether this fixes it for good or not until later this Summer.

w0ger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext, '10 Pontiac G6
Country flag
I ran into this problem back in January where the car quit offering Blue Cruise Hands Free. I’ve checked all the menu options, Nav is up to date, subscriptions are enabled, etc.

Another post suggested pulling the #11 fuse in the fuse panel located in the passenger footwell. This fuse provides power to the Tele Communications Unit (TCU).

I pulled the fuse for five minutes, then plugged the fuse back in. The end result was Blue Cruise Hands Free was back. HOWEVER, that night our 12v battery also died. I don’t know if this was coincidence or not.

After having the vehicle towed to Ford to have the battery replaced, they ordered a replacement TCU which was on back order.

Blue Cruise Hands Free was working after the battery replacement, but in early March the TCU finial came in, and Ford still wanted to replace it. So we did on 3/8/2023.

Everything was working great until 3/30/2023, when I noticed that Blue Cruise Hands Free wasn’t working again. I’ve gone through all the menu options, etc. So I’ve scheduled another service appointment for 4/24/203 (soonest they can get me in) as I’m a little apprehensive on pulling the fuse again.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I ran into this problem back in January where the car quit offering Blue Cruise Hands Free. I’ve checked all the menu options, Nav is up to date, subscriptions are enabled, etc.

Another post suggested pulling the #11 fuse in the fuse panel located in the passenger footwell. This fuse provides power to the Tele Communications Unit (TCU).

I pulled the fuse for five minutes, then plugged the fuse back in. The end result was Blue Cruise Hands Free was back. HOWEVER, that night our 12v battery also died. I don’t know if this was coincidence or not.

After having the vehicle towed to Ford to have the battery replaced, they ordered a replacement TCU which was on back order.

Blue Cruise Hands Free was working after the battery replacement, but in early March the TCU finial came in, and Ford still wanted to replace it. So we did on 3/8/2023.

Everything was working great until 3/30/2023, when I noticed that Blue Cruise Hands Free wasn’t working again. I’ve gone through all the menu options, etc. So I’ve scheduled another service appointment for 4/24/203 (soonest they can get me in) as I’m a little apprehensive on pulling the fuse again.
Your TCU is working and reporting data. If you want to try something, pull fuse #21 for the gateway module this time, which should hopefully trigger an update within 4 drives.

If you're still stuck and don't want to go to the dealer, I can come fix it for you (I'm an updater for the Twin Cites).

w0ger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext, '10 Pontiac G6
Country flag
Your TCU is working and reporting data. If you want to try something, pull fuse #21 for the gateway module this time, which should hopefully trigger an update within 4 drives.

If you're still stuck and don't want to go to the dealer, I can come fix it for you (I'm an updater for the Twin Cites).
Lee, thanks for the offer. I’m good taking it to our dealer as I’m hopeful that they will do some troubleshooting to figure out why this keeps happening. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Did you get the update above? My bchf working every day since.
Sponsored