First Name
Jerry
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicles
VW Alltrack
Country flag
It has been stated that hands free driving will be available some time after roll out. Do you think this will be a free update or will it be at a cost like Tesla? I’m actually satisfied with the features on the Premium package so hands free will depend on any proposed cost. I have tried it with a friend’s Tesla when she was provided it for free for two weeks and it was ok but not worth the extra $$$. My current VW has park assist and that’s good enough for me (along with the other safety features) so self driving is not a priority. Just wondering how this will be deployed.

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
Don't know. My guesses, though: free OTA update enables capability, requires sensor bar hardware on "Co-Pilot 360 Technology" package (on most but not all MMEs), limited to whitelisted interstate highways, slowly expanded coverage over time.

hybrid2bev

Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 C-Max Hybrid
Country flag
I would think it would be a free update. Since it already has lane centering and adaptive cruise control, the only upgrade seems to be that you don’t have to keep a hand on the wheel. Why pay extra for that?

TheBluf

Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata
Country flag
I'm fairly certain that during the reveal the software engineering lead said it would be a free update, but I could be mistaken.

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
@TheBluf, can you find it in there? I thought I recalled Jim Hackett stating that hands free driving would arrive as an OTA update in 2021, but now I can't seem to find it in the reveal video. Also, I don't remember them ever using the word "free" when discussing this. I'm expecting/hoping it to be free, though.

There have been several different interviews with high level Ford employees stating that hands free driving capability was coming, but none of them have discussed pricing, to my recollection.

Ericc B

Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mustang GT Fastback (a real Mustang)
Country flag
What do you mean exactly with handsfree driving? That can be anything in the spectrum between lane assist and feature complete autonomous operation, with the latter being about 5 zillion times more complex than the first.

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
Again, sparse details at this point... That said, I'm expecting it to be like GM's Super Cruise function. Hands completely off the wheel. Driver attention monitoring used to shut down the function if the driver stops paying attention.

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
I finally found the hands-free driving statement from the 11/17 world reveal. No mention of pricing. At 24:38 in the video, Ted Cannis speaking:

And, with secure, over-the-air software updates, you'll be able to upgrade your Mach-E over time with the latest product and performance enhancements, including hands-free driving capability.