Hands on the wheel... always with cruise engaged?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
i also feel like I’m always fighting against the lane keeping system. So much so that I just disable toe lane keeping all together. You can still use any of the three cruise control modes without the lane keeping on, and I feel more comfortable that way. Once I can let go of the wheel, and let BlueCruise take full control, that will be different, but for now, I just steer for myself.
There is a big difference between lane keeping and lane centering. Are you talking about keeping or centering?
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
There is a big difference between lane keeping and lane centering. Are you talking about keeping or centering?
Uh oh, I think I already have a thread going about this ???

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Yes. What the car senses is whether there is any resistance to its continuous micro-corrections of the steering. A little torque against it works. Whether that is accomplished with one hand, or two fingers, it just requires a couple lbs of resistance.
Less than a couple pounds of resistance.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The active lane centering. It always feels like either I’m fighting against the car, or it shuts off if it doesn’t feel me fighting the car. i Have not found the mythical spot where it feels my hands there just though but it doesn’t feel like I’m intentionally trying to turn against the curve of the road.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I think beyond some basic understanding, and this and other related threads, you have to just drive MME for some hours to see how you feel about lane centering. Even then, it might be tens of hours or more to really know a car. For me, it is around 1,000 miles.

There is definitely good info here. For example, many of us did not know at first that you can tell MME within some range, where to center in the lane (it is in the manual). You move the car over to the center line you want, hold it there, and after some time, it learns your preference.

Are there any demos near you? Some dealerships might even let you have the demo for a day, or maybe a weekend.
Sponsored