Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Removing the car icon in the upper left makes it easier to put it on more models. The elimination of the small main app with larger tiles means less work for them to maintain 2 layouts. It’s lazy cost cutting pure and simple. This update is a huge reduction in functionality and the more I see the less I like it. My car will be worse after this update and I will be complaining to Ford about it.
Vehicle Icon has nothing to do w/ it. That's a really simple variable, trivial. This "update" is a migration to a new system. More features will come.

It'd be nice if they actually started to use the gauge cluster screen. It's a massive disappointment to have so much empty space on a screen that should be filled with driver programable variables.
Sponsored

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Vehicle Icon has nothing to do w/ it. That's a really simple variable, trivial. This "update" is a migration to a new system. More features will come.

It'd be nice if they actually started to use the gauge cluster screen. It's a massive disappointment to have so much empty space on a screen that should be filled with driver programable variables.
All I see is functionality and flexibility being stripped out.

I actually like the instrument cluster being minimalist, but having the option for the user to add things would be nice.

For me I care more about how well it’s designed vs how much can be crammed in. All the recent updates to sync have shown a fracturing of the once cohesive design language that was in the original Sync 4A. It’s sad to see it disappear.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
All I see is functionality and flexibility being stripped out.
This is a whole new OS for the vehicle -- a clean slate. As such, in-time the finer details will reemerge. Just keeping the basics and maintaining full functionality is a big deal. The features should come much quicker being on a far more ubiquitous platform, especially utilizing unreal engine. Go take a look at the SN650 screens and options (which are still beta).

Big things are coming. I just hope the upgraded APIM is a direct-drop in. Hoping to find one fall of the back of a truck in China to get my hands on it.

If you need a reminder, or your first look, this is the same APIM hardware that will likely start showing up in job 2 23s.

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
This is a whole new OS for the vehicle -- a clean slate. As such, in-time the finer details will reemerge. Just keeping the basics and maintaining full functionality is a big deal. The features should come much quicker being on a far more ubiquitous platform, especially utilizing unreal engine. Go take a look at the SN650 screens and options (which are still beta).

Big things are coming. I just hope the upgraded APIM is a direct-drop in. Hoping to find one fall of the back of a truck in China to get my hands on it.

If you need a reminder, or your first look, this is the same APIM hardware that will likely start showing up in job 2 23s.

This is a whole new OS? Is it still running on HTML5? I was under the impression this was just a rework to the layout. The fact that the guest profile bug is still present tells me it’s not a ground up rewrite. Also that they don’t care about fixing existing bugs before rolling out new features.

Im less concerned with what might be to come for hardware I won’t have. For a company that can’t deliver a software update for job 1 2021s to electronically open their frunk or hardware for 2022s to enable park assist, I have little to no hope that a significantly improved software experience is coming to my car. So I would just ask that they don’t wreck the one I already had. I have had my 2022 for 6 weeks now and the software has only gotten worse in that time.

If this update is still being refined then it shouldn’t be rolling out. Especially considering 2023s are shipping with an older version of it then what the 2021/2s are getting. Wait, get it right, then ship it.

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
But the last Rivian update broke memory seats, steering wheel, and mirrors. How do you eff up that bad 😂
😆 Yeah luckily mine hasn't had any bugs so far. And my tonneau is still working (they've had so many problems they've removed them from production)

CarPlay is the one thing Ford has over Rivian, but it seems like they're trying to mess that up with the recent reliability issues.

jetermeyer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX 300H, Acura TLX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But that's stupid. In the current system, tire pressures are available when other apps (such as navigation) are in use. Why should I have to dismiss an application such as navigation, just to check tire pressure? This is a reduction in functionality.
How often does one check the TP? A couple of times a year for me unless I get a warning.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
How often does one check the TP? A couple of times a year for me unless I get a warning.
I have my TP widget on all the time. With wide temperature fluctuations at this time of year in New England, it’s smart to keep a close eye on tire pressure for both safety and efficiency reasons.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
CarPlay is the one thing Ford has over Rivian, but it seems like they're trying to mess that up with the recent reliability issues.
While the profile bug remains, my experience so far is that CarPlay is fixed better than ever.

It has connected very quickly, less than 10 seconds after starting the car, every time in probably 30-40 starts of the car since I applied the update.

edited to add:
I have probably doomed CarPlay to failure by giving it compliments.

Last edited:

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have my TP widget on all the time. With wide temperature fluctuations at this time of year in New England, it’s smart to keep a close eye on tire pressure for both safety and efficiency reasons.
And it's just 8 digits! Would easily fit on the new mini-tile.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
it seems like they're trying to mess that up with the recent reliability issues.
It’s not a given that Ford is the problem in the spate of recent CarPlay issues. Apple is known to not work or play well with others upon occasion.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Every time I drive. It's super easy to glance over when the tire pressure values are always shown on the card.
I truly don’t understand why this is even an issue. Even my 2017 Nissan pathfinder had a digital instrument cluster and had a steering wheel button to toggle vehicle related sensor data like this. It doesn’t even need to be on the large infotainment screen. Our Audi lets you scroll through various instrument cluster screens, including efficiency, music (including CarPlay), navigation (not from CarPlay sadly), and other data.

Edit: EXCEPT for our 2022 Audi Q5 PHEV. Audi doesn’t even have proper TPMS! I kid you not, a $60,000 German luxury car won’t tell me my tire pressure. It just has some sort of differential sensor that tells me if a tire is “low” but doesn’t report actual values. So Ford wins this one, amazingly.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I truly don’t understand why this is even an issue. Even my 2017 Nissan pathfinder had a digital instrument cluster and had a steering wheel button to toggle vehicle related sensor data like this. It doesn’t even need to be on the large infotainment screen. Our Audi lets you scroll through various instrument cluster screens, including efficiency, music (including CarPlay), navigation (not from CarPlay sadly), and other data.

Edit: EXCEPT for our 2022 Audi Q5 PHEV. Audi doesn’t even have proper TPMS! I kid you not, a $60,000 German luxury car won’t tell me my tire pressure. It just has some sort of differential sensor that tells me if a tire is “low” but doesn’t report actual values. So Ford wins this one, amazingly.
I constantly monitor the TP, just like I would constantly monitor engine temperature in my ICE. As I posted before, I can't count how many times I have run over things and didn't know it until I had a flat tire. I am done with that. I want to know as soon as I have a slow leak, so I can take care of it and not be stuck somewhere with a flat.

The cool thing is, you can remove the tile if you don't care about it. I do, and I have it up all the time. I close other tiles just so I can have that on the main display.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I truly don’t understand why this is even an issue.
Just because it's not something you regularly watch, doesn't mean other people don't find it useful and important. That's why it's great to have choices. I'm disappointed that the choice is being removed.
Sponsored