Happy New year - Mach E Now More Expensive Than Bronco!

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Since the tax credit is basically gone for all but the cheapest trim levels of the Mach E along with massive price increases for the 23 model year I decided to do a little comparison on the Mach E vs Bronco pricing. I picked what could arguably be the most desirable and sought after trim levels for each vehicle, the Mach E Premium and the Bronco Badlands.

I went to the build and price for the Mach E Premium and Bronco Badlands 4 Door to see the final tally for each. To do this comparison I put every option on each vehicle that the build and price tool would allow me to add effectively building the most expensive model of each one that I could order at the dealer. Disclaimer - No I did not price a Bronco Raptor because that is a limited supply specialty vehicle that the masses aren't able to order and buy.

And the winner for the most expensive is;

Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Extended Range - $69,690

Bronco Badlands 4 Door 4x4 - $69,080

Way to go Ford, Happy New Year everyone!
Sponsored

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure what that really says since the Bronco is a completely different vehicle. The MME is also more expensive than an Ecosport.
Ecosport, do people really buy those things, I don't even know what that is? šŸ˜‚

Ok, Back to Bronco vs Mach E.

Mach E is Ford's best electric car
Bronco is Ford's best 4x4
Both introduced in 2021 with online reservation system
Both have a huge following and demand
Both bringing high ADM throughout the country
Both considered a high class and capable vehicle in their respective classes
Both take a long time to receive if you order one

And when introduced the Mach e was much less expensive than the Bronco, now it costs more!šŸ¤”

And no, they are not the same vehicle but seriously an electric car that is supposed to be economical is now so expensive, even more than Ford's top 4x4! Maybe it's just me but that is crazy!

maktas1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus Electric
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not sure what that really says since the Bronco is a completely different vehicle. The MME is also more expensive than an Ecosport.
Ecosport should not even be sold in N.A, its a joke of a product. Ford needed a better entry level vehicle, namely a low cost EV around 55KWh under $35k

OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ecosport should not even be sold in N.A, its a joke of a product. Ford needed a better entry level vehicle, namely a low cost EV around 55KWh under $35k
I agree, I just looked at it, kinda looks like a clown car! šŸ˜‚

Fins160

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MachE Select C/T Dark Matter Gray
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford needed a better entry level vehicle, namely a low cost EV around 55KWh under $35k
Agreed, an electric eco sport is basically a Chevy Bolt.

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
And right now to make a ā€œlow costā€ EV w/ LiOn pack youā€™d basically need to halve the size of the battery - but I doubt anyone in North America would take a 2nd look at an EV with a 40 kWh battery. People already have range anxiety @ 90 kWhā€¦

Can you imagine the winter range threads with a 40 kWh pack? Iā€™ll get the popcornā€¦

And in Fordā€™s defence, EV component costs have gone through the roof vs. When pricing was done in (likely) 2018 for a MY 2019 MME. More about the state of raw material costs more than anything.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Agree that vehicle was always intended as a low cheap cost entry level vehicle for 3rd world markets and never really intended for North America / European markets. When small CUVs started to become more popular it is all ford had. Once the puma entered production the ecosport should have been dropped and the puma brought over to North America asap.

I doubt you will seem much in the EV space at $35k that won't be seen as more than a shopping trolley however for a lot of people if they have another vehicle they could easily get by with one for most daily usage.

The pending MEB based EV puma could fit the bill as the lower priced EV but no doubt like the ICE puma wont see this side of the pond. Still maybe with the new IRS rules classing vehicles around actual specifications rather than marketing department slogans it will force fords hand.

Either that or Ford have to do what lexus did to the North American NX and give the front bumper a chop job to give it the relevant departure angles to fit within the target designation as at current elevated prices the upper level trim mach-e are going to be a hard sell against the competition.

d^2x/dt^2

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Star White Premium 4X + ICE Fusion & Pickup
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
And no, they are not the same vehicle but seriously an electric car that is supposed to be economical is now so expensive, even more than Ford's top 4x4! Maybe it's just me but that is crazy!
I'm sure there are other factors, but it is hard to believe some of this isn't the $7500 tax incentive resulting in higher prices. In a way, it makes some justification for the price caps put into place, trying to break the cycle.

maktas1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Focus Electric
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
And right now to make a ā€œlow costā€ EV w/ LiOn pack youā€™d basically need to halve the size of the battery - but I doubt anyone in North America would take a 2nd look at an EV with a 40 kWh battery. People already have range anxiety @ 90 kWhā€¦

Can you imagine the winter range threads with a 40 kWh pack? Iā€™ll get the popcornā€¦
I drive a 33KWh Focus Electric , range is never a problem with at home L2 charging and a second vehicle for long range trips

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That was my point but the General didnā€™t get it. How in the heck is an electric car which is supposed to be so simple cost more than a loaded Bronco, it is mind boggling to me!
Sponsored