Harnessing Mach-e power for home outage?

jdouglas0445

First Name
john
Reaction score
First Name
john
Vehicles
kia
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I am curious if anyone believes the Mach-e would incorporate home back-up power with the Mach e? I ask because I came across the “dcbel” home car charger. Essentially it’s a dual car charger with “fast charging” capabilities. The other kicker is that it allows two way power flow, so if you lose power at your house your car battery acts as a backup. I personally like this feature and would be useful in case of an emergency. Also I haven’t started to build my solar system yet so this would be nice in the meantime.

https://dcbel.ossiaco.com/

I had realized I had posted in wrong forum, I couldn’t figure out how to repost and delete. Sorry!

Last edited:

mark360

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Seems like a cool design, and I do like that idea. I do think there is quite a big loss though converting DC to AC. Typically 30% losses. What would be the max load that it could take as well? Probably couldn't turn everything on in your house. Seems like a nightmare getting that installed to electrical code.

That product doesn't really add much power to what a 60 amp Tesla wall connector does. The Tesla wall connector adds 45 miles per hour to my Model 3, or essentially 11kW/hr. The wall connector is straight AC power, which the onboard AC to DC charger in the car turns to DC power to charge the battery.

This is claiming it has an AC to DC converter, but that converter only adds an additional 15 miles per hour or 14.5kW/hr charge rate max.

For the Mach E, you would be looking at 6.75 hours on this charger from completely empty to full (0%-100%).