jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Best i can tell it's not likely to work outside of betas until 2025 or later and probably need a new vehicle designed to support it (although depending on the hardware, maybe a software could update it). If someone gets it working with a mach e, I will be pleasantly surprised and want to get it myself...

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
This device is CHAdeMO (scroll down on the linked page), which supports vehicle-to-grid (V2G) in the standard and touts it in their marketing, although not every vehicle supports that capability. There are multiple V2G devices that work with, for example, the Nissan Leaf, and Nissan supports that use.

This is all irrelevant to Mach-E owners and to the world at large since CHAdeMO is dead standard walking and the Mach-E is CCS.

CCS is working on vehicle-to-whatever but it's slow going.
Lucid is supposedly launching CCS bidirectional charging with the Air this summer. Hyundai says it'll come next year or two on their e-GMP vehicles. I can't imagine they're the only ones.

One big reason I'm not investing in any home charger and just using a wall outlet is because I see no reason to spend on a home charger when as soon as bidirectional charging becomes available I'll just have to rip it out and buy a *new* bidirectional charger.

As soon as I can get a Mach-E with bidirectional charging, I'll be looking at accelerating the replacement of this Mach-E.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am curious if anyone believes the Mach-e would incorporate home back-up power with the Mach e? I ask because I came across the “dcbel” home car charger. Essentially it’s a dual car charger with “fast charging” capabilities. The other kicker is that it allows two way power flow, so if you lose power at your house your car battery acts as a backup. I personally like this feature and would be useful in case of an emergency. Also I haven’t started to build my solar system yet so this would be nice in the meantime.

https://dcbel.ossiaco.com/

I had realized I had posted in wrong forum, I couldn’t figure out how to repost and delete. Sorry!

I don't think this hardware is actually available.... but may be under development... and is certainly not tested and UL listed or ready for install and interconnection in the US as far as I know.

Most Utilities are VERY fussy about equipment they allow interconnected if you are going grid-tied. Unlocking the EV battery for emergency power has the added challenge of the EV mfg hiding any direct access to the HV traction pack for export of energy... I don't think there is any way to get energy OUT of the DC fast charge port.

All of the current UL listed solar inverters intended for DC-coupled design that I am aware of are limited to 48v nominal battery packs... for safety/code reasons. This means even if you are able to get to the EV traction battery, you are at 400+vDC, and need to use a dc-dc to bring that down to a point where solar charge controllers can handle it..... There is SOME hope there since MidNite solar and some others are starting to release charge controllers that handle up to 600 volts, BUT they are intended for Solar string that self-limit max amps.... not being FED by a battery with no 'throttle'.

the good news, in a very limited way, is that with the MME we do have access to the 12v battery, which is 'topped up' from the traction pack with the onboard dc-dc and charge controller. Max external load is 2000 watts.

so what we CAN do is connect a little 12vDC->2000 watt inverter, and use it as a portable generator.
Sponsored