Has anyone heard anything about Apple Maps integration with the MachE?

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Apple Maps integration with the MachE. This article from a year ago and a short video from Apple suggests it can be done with Ford cars but following the instructions it looks like it has not been implemented yet. I know can use Apple Amps through Apple Carplay but this is an additional feature that integrates the app with the car and allows for EV routing.

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2020/09/30/apple-maps-electric-vehicle-routing-tutorial/
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Next turn directions for Apple Maps comes in PowerUp 1.7.1.

OP
OP
macgyver60

macgyver60

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD Ext Range
Country flag
Next turn directions for Apple Maps comes in PowerUp 1.7.1.
But does it include EV routing? Apple had put out a video a year ago claiming Apple maps did EV routing that would integrate with the cars app so it knew the cars battery capacity and current charge level and would route you to chargers. They listed Ford as one of their partners.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
But does it include EV routing? Apple had put out a video a year ago claiming Apple maps did EV routing that would integrate with the cars app so it knew the cars battery capacity and current charge level and would route you to chargers. They listed Ford as one of their partners.
Havenā€™t heard any reports of that yet.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I have been waiting for this too! Me and my Wife prefer to use Apple Maps and we always display it while driving anywhere. I donā€™t know why but the Ford Nav in our Cmax seemed to work much better than the Nav system in our MME?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I donā€™t know why but the Ford Nav in our Cmax seemed to work much better than the Nav system in our MME?
that's a super interesting observation. Are you referring to routing or?

I'm asking that specific question because there was very early speculation about the Mach-E being more "EV aggressive" than the earlier "compliance" vehicles (Focus Electric, C-Max/Energi, Fusion Hybrid/Energi), but I don't think we've ever had anything official said about it. if it's routing, that might explain it, though.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I did notice that I now can search for Charging Stations in Apple Maps, don't remember seeing that before. I don't have the latest OTA update either, just running latest iOS 15.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I had seen this about Apple Maps (being able to integrate with the car) a while back and sent a note to Ford about it. It's more than just CarPlay ... if the proper interfaces are exposed, Apple Maps can retrieve the vehicles state of charge and estimated range in order to recommend charging stops.

The good news is that when Apple presented they were working with "a number of manufacturers" they were standing in front of a Ford logo (as well as a BMW logo) -- so there's a strong hint that those will be the first two that get support.

So... somewhere in the future there will probably be an update for it.

As for Apple Maps ability to search for EV chargers ... it will let you filter by plug-type, whether the station is free/paid and also whether the station is 'open now'. That's about it. So you can tell it to limit the plug type to CCS1 to get DC Fast Chargers but there are a lot of 50kW "fast" chargers out there and probably what most people want is a minimum of 100kW (e.g. ideally 150kW).

What I *really* want ... is to filter by kW rating of the charger.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had seen this about Apple Maps (being able to integrate with the car) a while back and sent a note to Ford about it. It's more than just CarPlay ... if the proper interfaces are exposed, Apple Maps can retrieve the vehicles state of charge and estimated range in order to recommend charging stops.

The good news is that when Apple presented they were working with "a number of manufacturers" they were standing in front of a Ford logo (as well as a BMW logo) -- so there's a strong hint that those will be the first two that get support.

So... somewhere in the future there will probably be an update for it.

As for Apple Maps ability to search for EV chargers ... it will let you filter by plug-type, whether the station is free/paid and also whether the station is 'open now'. That's about it. So you can tell it to limit the plug type to CCS1 to get DC Fast Chargers but there are a lot of 50kW "fast" chargers out there and probably what most people want is a minimum of 100kW (e.g. ideally 150kW).

What I *really* want ... is to filter by kW rating of the charger.
Yeah, apparently it was enabled on BMWs but hasn't been working well. My wife works for Apple and hears all about it from beamers.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
that's a super interesting observation. Are you referring to routing or?

I'm asking that specific question because there was very early speculation about the Mach-E being more "EV aggressive" than the earlier "compliance" vehicles (Focus Electric, C-Max/Energi, Fusion Hybrid/Energi), but I don't think we've ever had anything official said about it. if it's routing, that might explain it, though.
The Navigation routing in the MME can be extremely stubborn and obnoxious!! I was driving from Panama City Beach to the next EA station on I-10 in the Florida panhandle. The Nav system kept pestering me to make u-turns and take a different route! It was so annoying that even my Father in Law got tired of it! Lol

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Navigation routing in the MME can be extremely stubborn and obnoxious!! I was driving from Panama City Beach to the next EA station on I-10 in the Florida panhandle. The Nav system kept pestering me to make u-turns and take a different route! It was so annoying that even my Father in Law got tired of it! Lol
Oh man was that drive good range wise? Iā€™d be worried about chargers up that way.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to stop at a Harley dealer in Panama City Beach to get enough charge to make it to the closest EA station at the Walmart in Chipley! Lol
Ugh, we need those SuperChargers opened up, give us some peace of mind.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would help and we also need EA to fix their problems in Gainesville!!!!
Yeah the only reason I like the SC idea is cause they actually maintain them. They arenā€™t a punishment like EA is for VW lol.
Sponsored