Has Anyone Received a Ford Connected Charge Station?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I respectfully disagree with this. Every hair dryer has a GFCI on the plug and every bathroom receptacle installed per code since 1979 is GFCI protected. They don't cause each other to trip.

The technical explanation: a GFCI measures the current in the conductors. If the difference is greater than a preset value (normally 3ma) it means the difference is flowing to ground instead of where it's supposed to and trips. A second GFCI on a circuit will not cause this current imbalance unless it's faulty.
I think the issue is GFCI breaker trips caused by the grounding tests that EVSEs are supposed to perform.

https://chargedevs.com/features/the...-director-thinks-the-standards-should-change/
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think the issue is GFCI breaker trips caused by the grounding tests that EVSEs are supposed to perform.

https://chargedevs.com/features/the...-director-thinks-the-standards-should-change/
That's entirely possible.
Basically, one should follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. Some may tell you to install on a GFCI circuit, others may tell you not to.

It can be problematic if your jurisdiction is on the 2020 NEC which requires all receptacle outlets in a garage to be GFCI protected.

The Ford mobile charger which plugs into a 14-50 receptacle says "GFCI recommended".

The Ford Connected Charge Station says "DO NOT use a GFCI breaker". This will not violate code since it is direct wired.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's entirely possible.
Basically, one should follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. Some may tell you to install on a GFCI circuit, others may tell you not to.

It can be problematic if your jurisdiction is on the 2020 NEC which requires all receptacle outlets in a garage to be GFCI protected.

The Ford mobile charger which plugs into a 14-50 receptacle says "GFCI recommended".

The Ford Connected Charge Station says "DO NOT use a GFCI breaker". This will not violate code since it is direct wired.
I had my new circuit with 14-50 outlet inspected in early december. Not a whiff of concern from the inspector that the breaker was not GFCI. He did ask what the outlet was for, so maybe that's why he didn't give me noise.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I had my new circuit with 14-50 outlet inspected in early december. Not a whiff of concern from the inspector that the breaker was not GFCI. He did ask what the outlet was for, so maybe that's why he didn't give me noise.
My inspector didn't care either. I asked my electrician about it. He said if you were installing the outlet on the outside of the garage then you'd probably want a GFCI breaker -- especially since the mobile charging cord would be laying on the ground in any kind of weather (rain).

But INSIDE the garage was a different matter ... it's protected from weather.

I did put a GFCI breaker on my NEMA 14-50 outlet ... but did not put one on my hard-wired charger (since the charger has built-in GFCI).

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
New Jersey is still on the 2017 NEC, so GFCI would only be required on 120V general purpose receptacle outlets.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Just got done "chatting" with Ford Parts via the website. Here's what they had to say:
I have provided you with the information we have been provided with. As I have stated above "We are fulfilling the orders for the charger as fast as we can. I do have to advise they are being shipped out in the order in which it was received. As soon as your order ships, you will be notified by email."​
We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.​
They imply that the Ford Connected Charge Station is now being shipped but, when I asked point-blank "Are you now shipping the Ford Connected Charge Station?" that was the response I received.

Even though Jim Cramer doesn't like ChargePoint, they're looking more attractive by the day ?

Dylanfan71

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Bullitt
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I received my charger 10 days ago. Ordered it right when they went on sale. Getting installed 2/5 with my car scheduled to arrive 2/16.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I received my charger 10 days ago. Ordered it right when they went on sale. Getting installed 2/5 with my car scheduled to arrive 2/16.
Pardon my ignorance, but when did they go on sale?
I ordered mine 24 November 2020.

OP
OP
Jimrpa

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I ordered on October 7,2020, which I believe was the first day of orders.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered on October 7,2020, which I believe was the first day of orders.
I *think* I also ordered mine the first day it became available. I was on one of the Ford web-casts when they mentioned which week it would open up for sale ... and started monitoring the parts website daily. If I didn't order it on day #1 ... I definitely ordered it within the first couple of days.

[EDIT: Found my order. It was placed on 10/11]

So far I haven't heard anything.

I have other ways to charge my car ... so no major inconvenience in my case.

Mainly ... I had my electrician temporarily install a NEMA 14-50 outlet on the wall where the Ford Connected Charger is meant to go ... and I'll swap it out when the charger arrives.

Last edited:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mainly ... I had my electrician temporarily install a NEMA 14-50 outlet on the wall where the Ford Connected Charger is meant to go ... and I'll swap it out when the charger arrives.
I have my 14-50 ready to go. I plan to leave it intact after the connected charge station is installed. Not sure why - flexibility? I guess if I sell my house, I can take the charge station with me and still leave the new owner BEV-capable.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I ordered mine on 10/11 ... but nothing yet. The order page for the charger says:

Item available for Pre-Order only, will not ship until January​
Item cannot be ordered with any other products, we apologize for the inconvenience​
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ford-connected-charge-station-13221001-1

I just noticed one other feature of the charger ... it allows for remote locking & unlocking of the charger.

I have a friend that wants to get a BEV but has to charge it outside. He lives in a condo. Each person has a (very short) driveway but the garage is so tight it isn't usable unless you have a *really* small car. His current cross-over fits in the garage as long as he doesn't want to open the door to get in or out.

This means he *could* potentially have people who see his charger on the street and pull in for a charge ... and end up with surprises on his electric bill. So I can see where people in his situation would want to be able to remotely lock the charger. I don't think my ChargePoint HomeFlex supports this.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I ordered mine on 10/11 ... but nothing yet. The order page for the charger says:

Item available for Pre-Order only, will not ship until January​
Item cannot be ordered with any other products, we apologize for the inconvenience​
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ford-connected-charge-station-13221001-1

I just noticed one other feature of the charger ... it allows for remote locking & unlocking of the charger.

I have a friend that wants to get a BEV but has to charge it outside. He lives in a condo. Each person has a (very short) driveway but the garage is so tight it isn't usable unless you have a *really* small car. His current cross-over fits in the garage as long as he doesn't want to open the door to get in or out.

This means he *could* potentially have people who see his charger on the street and pull in for a charge ... and end up with surprises on his electric bill. So I can see where people in his situation would want to be able to remotely lock the charger. I don't think my ChargePoint HomeFlex supports this.
There would be a visible pin in the J1772 holder receptacle. All the CP public models have the locking feature but I am not sure about the home units. I'll try and find out and let you know. I have a meeting with ChargePoint later this afternoon. ?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There would be a visible pin in the J1772 holder receptacle. All the CP public models have the locking feature but I am not sure about the home units. I'll try and find out and let you know. I have a meeting with ChargePoint later this afternoon. ?
They physically lock it? I just figured the EVSE would refuse to supply power (since an EVSE is basically is a software-controlled electric switch).

If a physical locking pin is required... I do not see such a pin in the holster of my CP Home Flex.
Sponsored