Has anyone tried a tesla destination charger (with adapter)? How did is the process?

theblueone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Audi e-tron
Country flag
I am still waiting on my MME (this weekend, I hope!), but I purchased a TeslaTap to ease my range anxiety for trips to some more remote areas. For now, it seems like a Tesla-specific charger is a much more common amenity at hotels and things.

Does anyone have first-hand experience using one of these, or any other tesla-j1772 adapter? How is the process? If you're using a paid station, what account is required?
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I am still waiting on my MME (this weekend, I hope!), but I purchased a TeslaTap to ease my range anxiety for trips to some more remote areas. For now, it seems like a Tesla-specific charger is a much more common amenity at hotels and things.

Does anyone have first-hand experience using one of these, or any other tesla-j1772 adapter? How is the process? If you're using a paid station, what account is required?
My brother has one for his Bolt. Just plug in and it starts charging. There is no activation or payment. You plug in and it just starts charging. That's why the adapter works on destination chargers and not on superchargers. The destination chargers don't authenticate. I think there are some newer ones that will, and it won't work on those but for now most destination chargers will work fine.

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You won't be able to use the Tesla L3 Supercharger network since it is tied into the car's VIN.

For the destination charger, as the above poster mentioned, it's plug in and walk away. The newer Gen3 will eventually have capability via wifi to limit users, but currently there is no limitation.

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
I have the Tesla wall connector at home for my son's Model 3 and our original plans to get a Y. It’s essentially the same as the destination charger, and I use the 80amp TeslaTap adaptor for the Mach E. The build quality on the adapter is great, and so far it has worked flawlessly.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
I have the adapter but also carry a J1772 extension. Most Tesla destination chargers have short cords.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag

You should have no problem just plugging in at a destination charger with an adapter and it should start charging.

For superchargers (not destination chargers) WITH a magic dock, you just activate it from the app and plug in.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You should have no problem just plugging in at a destination charger with an adapter and it should start charging.
Usually. Some destination chargers are set up to only charge Teslas.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

For superchargers (not destination chargers) WITH a magic dock, you just activate it from the app and plug in.
He's probably figured it out by now since he asked the question almost 3 years ago. Magic docks weren't a thing back then.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Just bring a small combo lock to lock the TeslaTap to the car. Those things are small and expensive.

YunniorO

First Name
Yunnior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD ER (Job 2)
Country flag
He's probably figured it out by now since he asked the question almost 3 years ago. Magic docks weren't a thing back then.
oh geez I didn’t even know this thread was three years old, just saw it pop up in the latest posts. I need to get my eyes checked lol

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I charged at a Tesla destination charger for the first time yesterday. I got over 10kWh of charge, which I thought was pretty good for a public charger. I used my Lectron adapter for the first time since I bought it even before I had my MME. It was very easy.

Not a fan of the musky person, but the charging is a good experience.

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
My brother in law has a Tesla, so he has a hardwired 240v charger he uses. This adapter works perfect every time I visit: https://a.co/d/7TN6Iqi

I bought it for the same reason you did, just to be prepared. Much easier than hauling out my mobile charger and finding an outlet.

So far every hotel I've been to has a native J1772, so maybe I've just been lucky. I've only had to use it at my brother in laws.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I charged at a Tesla destination charger for the first time yesterday. I got over 10kWh of charge, which I thought was pretty good for a public charger.
I don't understand your comment. Have you experienced most public chargers stopping before dispensing 10kWh of energy?

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
I probably have my terminology mixed up. My L2 FlexPoint charger maxes at about 7. something kWh (?) or 24-ish miles of range per hour. This one was delivering 10.4 or 10.7, I can’t remember which, or 30+ miles of range per hour.
Sponsored