Has anyone tried window tinting the pano-roof?

Cgillespy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Has anyone tried window tinting the pano-roof?
Sponsored

Goober96

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E4X, 1996 Mustang Cobra, 2008 Corvette
Country flag
I’m interested in this as well. I don’t have my car yet but, if necessary, I have thought about that.

Reactions: CT3

db4z

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Country flag
It already has a pretty dark tiny with infrared/heat reflection properties. I want to do more research but if there is a chance and extra layer of tint on the inside of the glass may trap more heat in the glass, I wouldn't want to risk adding more stress to the glass (even though it would probably be fine short of the Sahara desert).

I guess I wonder if the factory tint is a layer on the bottom of the glass, is laminated in the middle of the glass between two panes, or if it is somehow blended into the glass itself. If you have a reflective layer in the middle of the glass and add another to the bottom (inside the car) I would think that would definitely trap more heat inside the glass.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I've been really impressed with the pano roof so far. My edge had one with a cover that was almost always closed. So far in the MME I sometimes forget that there is even a glass roof. Its not bright at all. And you don't feel any heat from it. If you touch the glass itself in the middle of the day, its very hot to the touch, but the rest of the car does not warm up.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
I've been really impressed with the pano roof so far. My edge had one with a cover that was almost always closed. So far in the MME I sometimes forget that there is even a glass roof. Its not bright at all. And you don't feel any heat from it. If you touch the glass itself in the middle of the day, its very hot to the touch, but the rest of the car does not warm up.
I was about to respond with pretty much the same observation - you can stick your hand on the glass and feel the heat, but it does not transfer to the interior of the car. I'm not sure what the physics of that is, seems a bit counterintuitive, but it has been my experience as well. I'm in Alabama where we are already experiencing some pretty warm weather, but I have not had any problem with the car seeming warmer than my previous car in similar circumstances. I am interested to see if this holds up when it starts getting in the 90's and above.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME FE, 22 Escape Hy, 20 Fusion Hy, 20 Escape
Country flag
When I got my MME, I quickly went to the company I use for tinting, they matched the front side windows to the back and talked me into putting clear 'tint' inside the front windshield. I am considering the same for the roof if the Georgia sun is too much, I would not recommend the windshield based on my results but I am still considering the roof. No help, I know.

IL_Vet

First Name
MarCal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Few
Country flag
... and talked me into putting clear 'tint' inside the front windshield. ... , I would not recommend the windshield based on my results but I am still considering the roof.
I had my front windshield tinted with the clear AIR Series. It seems decent so far and I've not experienced any issues. It definitely rejects heatWhat problem(s) did you have with the clear tint on your front windshield. I am and makes the ride cooler on sunny days compared to the other car that doesn't have it. I'm interested in tinting the pano roof too but first want to know if Ford's going to correct the annoying wind noise from the roof.

Llumar AIR Series.jpg

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had my front windshield tinted with the clear AIR Series. It seems decent so far and I've not experienced any issues. It definitely rejects heatWhat problem(s) did you have with the clear tint on your front windshield. I am and makes the ride cooler on sunny days compared to the other car that doesn't have it. I'm interested in tinting the pano roof too but first want to know if Ford's going to correct the annoying wind noise from the roof.

Llumar AIR Series.jpg
I can see ripples in the film, yes that is an installer problem but I am waiting for Summer heat to see if it goes away.

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did get the pano roof tinted. Prior to, the glass was a little too bright and warm. I had them add 35% tint and 97% blocking, if that makes sense. Rear seat passengers appreciate it. Cost was $500.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Metallic RWD, standard range
Occupation
retired
Country flag

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I personally find our glass roofs to be freaking magical. The heat rejection that this thing provides is pretty damn amazing.

I was out in east county last week, 113 degrees... IT WAS FLIPPEN HOT!!!! I am 6'4" and I'm bald, so my head is pretty close to that roof. I could feel ever so slightly some heat coming off the glass, but once I was moving and had the AC on, the heat was non existent.

I do have 25% ceramic tint, forget the percentage it rejects but its a decent amount, on my lower windows. Was 113 and my AC was barely even running when I got in with it set to 71 and sitting in direct sun for about 30 minutes. I did have my WeatherTech sun shade in the front window at the time.

I dunno, with good tint on the lower windows, I think the roof is more than enough. I've been amazing at how cool the car is when I get in it after work (using the WeatherTech windshield cover). I was just telling my boss today that I forget how hot it actually is outside till I open my car door. The MME does such an amazing job at keeping the cabin at your temp, and the tint just keeps all the heat off you.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Has anyone tried window tinting the pano-roof? IMG_1208.JPEG

Al-E

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB Premium ER/RWD Mustang Mach E '21
Occupation
Coffee
Country flag
Someone said tint might trap heat and put stress on the glass, but would an outer layer of PPF do that as well?

If it’s safe that might be a good option because it does have UV blocking properties and also might protect against small rocks and debris. Anyone done it?

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
I did get the pano roof tinted. Prior to, the glass was a little too bright and warm. I had them add 35% tint and 97% blocking, if that makes sense. Rear seat passengers appreciate it. Cost was $500.
$500 just to tint the roof? :oops:
Or did that price include the side windows and windshield?

JBB_JD

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
$500 just to tint the roof? :oops:
Or did that price include the side windows and windshield?
Just the roof but it offers the highest thermal protection. I had the windshield and side windows done back in February. List price for just the roof was $600 but they knocked off $100 for the repeat business.
Sponsored