Has Anyone Used Snow Cables on their MME?

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Has anyone taken their MME to Tahoe in winter? Let me reframe the question for the entire forum. Has anyone taken their MME to high elevation and in snow? If so, has anyone put snow cables on their car's tires? I am curious if anyone has put cables on the car and how the car did with them installed. I know the dealer makes you sign a "no chains" waiver. I assume that means we have to use cables and using cables does not void a warranty. Is this a correct assumption? I also saw a thread on using snow socks as an option, which are more common in Europe. Has anyone used snow socks and are they better than snow cables? I am not sure if I will take my MME to Tahoe during the winter but I would like to be prepared. I would appreciate input from the forum.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Are you planning to keep the OEM summer tires on it?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
From the manual:

Follow these guidelines when using snow
tires and chains:
• Use ultra low profile cables, 10 mm or
less in dimension as measured on the
sidewall of your tire, only with
225/60R18 all season tires.
• Do not use snow chains or cables with
225/55R19 or 245/45R20.
• Not all S-class snow chains or cables
meet the same restrictions. Chains of
this size restriction will include a
tensioning device.
• Purchase chains or cables from a
manufacturer that clearly labels body
to tire dimension restrictions. The snow
chains or cables must be mounted in
pairs on the rear tires only.
• When driving with snow chains do not
exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the
maximum speed recommended by the
chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
• Install cables securely, verifying that
the cables do not touch any wiring or
brake lines.
• Drive cautiously. If you hear the cables
rub or bang against the vehicle, stop
and retighten them. If this does not
work, remove the cables to prevent
vehicle damage.
• Remove the tire chains when they are
no longer needed. Do not use tire
chains on dry roads.
If you have any questions regarding snow
chains or cables, please contact your
authorized dealer.

OP
OP
MyLittlePony2022

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Are you planning to keep the OEM summer tires on it?
No, I will be changing out the GTPE summer tires with all season Michelin Sports long before I ever think of going to snow. I also know better to take those tires to snow or drive them in temperatures below ~ 40 degrees F.

I see a post from @RickMachE from the MME manual: "Do not use snow chains or cables with 225/55R19 or 245/45R20." I have a GTPE so the 245/45R20's is what I have. I wonder if the reason Ford does not want it on this tire is because it is a summer tire or an other reason? Would the low profile have something to do with no cables? I understand why no chains but the reason behind no chains is a mystery to me. However, I have very little experience with this subject and have only put on chains once in my life, some 2 decades ago.

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
More important then warranty is the safety and following the weather advisory. Good to have one pair of chains in your trunk. If things becomes very bad you always will have a choice to wait the better weather conditions or try your chances. Just follow the instructions and all will be fine. When at winter I drive up there I always take chains with me and the warranty is the last thing I’m worried about if I need to put them on wheels. Also without doubts I cancel my trip if storm coming. It’s much better to spend holidays at home then in heavy traffic. Luckily we have only few storms per winter and the weather is almost fine all season long. Good luck with your trip and stay safe!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No, I will be changing out the GTPE summer tires with all season Michelin Sports long before I ever think of going to snow. I also know better to take those tires to snow or drive them in temperatures below ~ 40 degrees F.

I see a post from @RickMachE from the MME manual: "Do not use snow chains or cables with 225/55R19 or 245/45R20." I have a GTPE so the 245/45R20's is what I have. I wonder if the reason Ford does not want it on this tire is because it is a summer tire or an other reason? Would the low profile have something to do with no cables? I understand why no chains but the reason behind no chains is a mystery to me. However, I have very little experience with this subject and have only put on chains once in my life, some 2 decades ago.
The tire size is the reason, not whether it is a summer tire or not. Most likely it is related to them going to hit something, or the low profile. Even certain F-150 tire sizes have "no chain" warnings.

I'd want to fit them and then rotate the tire, with the wheel cocked left, then right, to make sure nothing hit before I would use anything.

But, then again, I would not take my Mach-E into the mountains during a snow storm that might require chains, I would drive my F-150.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Why not just get M+S rated tires and leave the cables at home?

AmbiguousPresentation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Fusion SEL, 2005 Suburban, 2021 MME GT-PE
Country flag
When I made my plans to buy my MME, I asked myself the same question and settled on tire socks like these:

https://autosock.us/snow-socks-guide/

That said, I haven’t tried driving it to Tahoe in the wintertime yet, so I’ve held off buying the socks. I’d probably just take the suburban. 😉

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
My 2x sets of RUD Compact EasyTop chains from Germany are due to arrive on Tuesday. And, as with towing, Ford Europe MMEs seem to get a different choice than Ford North America gives us:

https://schneekettenberater.rud.com/vehicleSelection/engineTypes

Today's snow chains from reputable manufacturer companies are a far cry from the loose, noisy ladder-style wheel-well slapper thick chains of old. I always buy a set of RUD snow chains for the trunk of every car I've owned since 1990.

My current home state of Virginia legally bans non-official cars from wearing snow chains... yet during the Blizzard of 2004 (or 2003? I can't remember anymore but it was a big one) when my BMW 318i shod in its RUD chains was about the only moving, non-skidding car on the road, every state trooper and local policeman I encountered smiled or gave me a thumbs up and waved me on.

IMHO these easy-to-put-on snow chains are also a car saver when a rare really dangerous overnight rain-to-ice snap freeze unexpectedly happens in the lowlands such as the ice freeze which hit Louisville KY about a year+ ago. Traction-at-low-speed is better than zero traction when such conditions come around.

I can't comment on snow cables as I have never used them. Not sure though if snow cables would be as useful as snow chains in slippery road ice conditions.

NOTE: I am getting 2 sets because my MME is the AWD version.

Last edited:

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
I spent 10 years clambering about the southern and central Rockies in all kinds of weather in my FX-35, which is AWD with ABS and traction control. Taos, Crested Butte, Durango, Wolf Creek (snowiest place in the Rockies!), you name it, if it looked to be a pow day and I could wrangle it, I was en route. Not once did I feel unsafe or wished I had anything other then a good set of all weather M+S rated shoes.

My main concern with Tahoe in winter, at lease until I do it, will be understanding the impact of -5 C temps on the battery pack and the strategy needed for recharge stops, even if gravity assist coming home will be in my favor. At first blush, it seems like day trips to Kirkwood from the East Bay are better served in an ICE vehicle.

Oh yeah, and WTF do I do with my skis when done? I love the pano roof, but not being able to treat a "crossover" as true CX vehicle is a tad annoying.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
I was in Tahoe for the snow storm a few weeks ago, riding on the Cal rte 1 wheels on my GT. 600LB/FT of torque and turning off traction control makes for good fun. Going up 89 toward Kirkwood i watched a brand new Grand Cherokee get stuck... In 4wd (fronts and rears were spinning), and i cruised right by after coming to a complete stop. The traction was worse than I expected though. The ABS was going off constantly, even on gentle stops which is surprising given the weight of the car and the 225mm wide tires. I have a set of peerless Super Z6 chains. They worked great on my Chevy volt that had similar clearance issues, but they scuff wheels badly. Socks ain't gonna cut it in bad snow. If you stay under 15mph, you'll never risk taking out your fenders with the super z chains. Next trip you take up to Tahoe, I'm curious how much power you use. This weekend i made it from SF to SLT with 24% remaining on the rte 1 wheels. Have gotten that consistently.

Last edited:

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag

It’s because of a difference in clearances between tire sizes. It’s up to you to pick the correct size device and visually verify clearances . FYI, even my 4runner manual says absolutely no chains on the front wheels lol. I believe snow socks are approved in California. The downside of those is that California loved to require chains on clear asphalt so they might not last.

Why are you concerned about warranty? No warranty will cover any damage that results from using chains, approved or not.

Side note, the GTP is AWD. Just use snow rated tires and you meet the requirement for level 1/2 chains.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
If there's a chain control in Cali, you must carry chains even with AWD (except maybe R1, which i've never seen). It's almost always R2 in the Sierras, and yeah, i hate being the first guy up with chain controls right before the snow starts. Ruins the road and ruins the chains. But you can thank california's incredibly skilled drivers for forcing CALTRANS' hand on creating such draconian rules. Prius, rav4, and Subaru drivers should be required to retake driver training prior to receiving the keys.

https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
From the manual:

Follow these guidelines when using snow
tires and chains:
• Use ultra low profile cables, 10 mm or
less in dimension as measured on the
sidewall of your tire, only with
225/60R18 all season tires.
• Do not use snow chains or cables with
225/55R19 or 245/45R20.
• Not all S-class snow chains or cables
meet the same restrictions. Chains of
this size restriction will include a
tensioning device.
• Purchase chains or cables from a
manufacturer that clearly labels body
to tire dimension restrictions. The snow
chains or cables must be mounted in
pairs on the rear tires only.
• When driving with snow chains do not
exceed 30 mph (50 km/h) or the
maximum speed recommended by the
chain manufacturer, whichever is less.
• Install cables securely, verifying that
the cables do not touch any wiring or
brake lines.
• Drive cautiously. If you hear the cables
rub or bang against the vehicle, stop
and retighten them. If this does not
work, remove the cables to prevent
vehicle damage.
• Remove the tire chains when they are
no longer needed. Do not use tire
chains on dry roads.
If you have any questions regarding snow
chains or cables, please contact your
authorized dealer.
Manual has been revised apparently.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=usa&buildtype=web

On non-GT models, use ultra low profile snow chains or cables, 10 mm or less in dimension as measured on the sidewall of your tire, only with 225/60R18 or 225/55R19 all season tires.
On GT models, use ultra low profile snow chains or cables, 10 mm or less in dimension as measured on the sidewall of your tire, only with 225/55R19 all season tires.

ckt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-e Select AWD shadow black built 12/21
Country flag