Has anyone who ordered a Mach E after Aug 2021 gotten theirs?

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD (ordered), 2018 Tesla M3
Country flag
Many of us will be in the 10-12 month club. Or longer. Ordered 10/29 and still no VIN yet.

Pretty sure you’ll get your tax credit.

Welcome to the world of COVID and war.

Ford is doing the best they can to manufacture and deliver vehicles. Could communication be better, sure. But remember that there’s hundreds of thousands of us who all want individual attention and they’re not built that way.

OP
OP
mherbold

mherbold

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Explorer XLT, 2022 F-350 DRW King Ranch
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
The maximum tax credit was previously projected to run out July for Ford. That credit runs out when a manufacturer hits 200k EVs (across all models). For Ford, they only needed to sell 39420 EVs in 2022 to hit 200k. So far they have sold 13169 in January, 8984 in February, 13772 in March, and 16779 in April. Do the math and it's likely too late already. After 200k sales, the credit drops to $3750.

If it was first come first serve, I wouldn't be complaining. But it is not. People who have ordered their cars many months after me have already gotten their cars many months ago. There is clearly some sort of prioritization going on, and I am at the very bottom of it. :-( :-( :-(

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The maximum tax credit was previously projected to run out July for Ford. That credit runs out when a manufacturer hits 200k EVs (across all models). For Ford, they only needed to sell 39420 EVs in 2022 to hit 200k. So far they have sold 13169 in January, 8984 in February, 13772 in March, and 16779 in April. Do the math and it's likely too late already. After 200k sales, the credit drops to $3750.

If it was first come first serve, I wouldn't be complaining. But it is not. People who have ordered their cars many months after me have already gotten their cars many months ago. There is clearly some sort of prioritization going on, and I am at the very bottom of it. :-( :-( :-(
As far as tax credit goes, you will be fine. Phase-out of the full $7500 credits starts in the SECOND quarter AFTER the quarter in which an automaker hits the 200K celling, so if Ford hits the limit in Q1 the reduction in tax credits won't apply to vehicles sold until October.

As a fellow member of the infamous chip hold club - I ordered in Feb. last year and received the car ten months later - I understand your frustration all too well. Hang in there! Ford recommends keeping the HVB at 50% SOC if not driven for over 30 days, ironically mine was at 10% during the months it was parked. I love the car and this is all in the rearview mirror now. Supply-chain and logistics challenges are real, but Ford's handling is chaotic. I don't know if other automakers could do any better, but obviously Ford just suck at it. I am fine with the model of ordering in advance (rather than driving one off a dealer lot), which will probably remain common even after the current supply crunch is over, but I will not be inclined to go through this all over again.

Last edited:

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

So by all accounts Ford did not hit 200K units during 1Q22. If they hit the number during 2Q22, then the full tax credit will be available through 3Q22. I believe it's likely that people with '21 orders will see their cars by then.

So people have choices. If they don't believe their car will be delivered by then, they can A) be prepared to live with a potentially reduced tax credit of $3,750, B) try to find a car on the lot now with less than $3,750 ADM and be ahead of the game or C) find a different car.

Yes, it's pretty well known that car manufacturers don't operate on a FIFO model. Certain configurations, colors, etc are batched together for efficiency on the assembly line. For example it's pretty clear that Select and GT are being produced at a higher rate than Premiums - probably higher profit margin trims. Certain high performing dealers probably receive some additional allocation as well. Add significant supply chain issues into the mix and you have what we're experiencing now.

OP
OP
mherbold

mherbold

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
As far as tax credit goes, you will be fine. Phase-out of the full $7500 credits starts in the SECOND quarter AFTER the quarter in which an automaker hits the 200K celling
Ok - I read up on the phase out rules - looks like you are right. The $7500 credit is good to the end of the quarter following the quarter in which the 200k happens. Meaning, assuming my EV sales numbers are correct, Ford sold 35925 cars in Q1 2022. That is just short of 200k total. So, Q2 (Apr-Jun) is when they hit 200k EV sales. As a result, the $7500 is good only until the end of the following quarter - meaning Q3 Jul-Sep. Then for Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 it's at 50% ($3750) and then Q2 2023 and Q3 2023 it's at 25% ($1875) then Q4 2023 it is zero (no more credit).

I feel a little bit better - however be assured you' all will hear me complain again if it is September and I still have no car.

dmastro

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok - I read up on the phase out rules - looks like you are right. The $7500 credit is good to the end of the quarter following the quarter in which the 200k happens. Meaning, assuming my EV sales numbers are correct, Ford sold 35925 cars in Q1 2022. That is just short of 200k total. So, Q2 (Apr-Jun) is when they hit 200k EV sales. As a result, the $7500 is good only until the end of the following quarter - meaning Q3 Jul-Sep. Then for Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 it's at 50% ($3750) and then Q2 2023 and Q3 2023 it's at 25% ($1875) then Q4 2023 it is zero (no more credit).

I feel a little bit better - however be assured you' all will hear me complain again if it is September and I still have no car.
One more thing - your Jan-Apr sales numbers look really high to my untrained eye. Ford isn't even delivering 5,000 Mach E units a month so it's hard to believe they're delivering over 15,000 total electrified units monthly. Are you looking at worldwide deliveries? Can you provide a source?

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mach-E Select RWD wComfort/Tech, '16 Honda Fit
Country flag

Where are you getting your EV sales from? If from the Ford sales press releases, those are NOT the same as EVs eligible for the tax credit. Ford puts all hybrids (including the non-plugins that are NOT eligible for the tax credit) in this category. They are projected to hit 200k in Q3. You'll be fine if you get it by December 31st.

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As far as tax credit goes, you will be fine. Phase-out of the full $7500 credits starts in the SECOND quarter AFTER the quarter in which an automaker hits the 200K celling, so if Ford hits the limit in Q1 the reduction in tax credits won't apply to vehicles sold until October.
Nope this isn't right-- in your example above, the reduction would start in July. It's only the quarter in which the threshold is reached and the quarter after.

OP
OP
mherbold

mherbold

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Where are you getting your EV sales from? If from the Ford sales press releases
Yep that is where I was getting my EV numbers from. I didn't realize that Ford also puts ineligible vehicles in the the electric column. That helps, thanks.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

And it is only cars sold in the US so I believe your sales numbers may be high.

NJ_MachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And it is only cars sold in the US so I believe your sales numbers may be high.
The sales numbers he cited are US sales, but just include non plugin hybrids ineligible for the credit.

OP
OP
mherbold

mherbold

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag

techwonder21

First Name
KaMar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: BMW 4Series
Country flag
So I recently took delivery of my Mach-E GT (Non PE) on April 19, 2022. If Ford didn't already hit their 200K number does that mean that when I file my taxes next year (2023) I can potentially take advantage of the full $7,500.

That is, if it's based on the purchase date correlation to your vehicle being within the first 200K cars?! I'm trying gauge if it's possible for me not to qualify for the tax credits even though I already took delivery. Happy to hear any thoughts.

ryi0205

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium AWD XR Space White
Country flag
So I recently took delivery of my Mach-E GT (Non PE) on April 19, 2022. If Ford didn't already hit their 200K number does that mean that when I file my taxes next year (2023) I can potentially take advantage of the full $7,500.

That is, if it's based on the purchase date correlation to your vehicle being within the first 200K cars?! I'm trying gauge if it's possible for me not to qualify for the tax credits even though I already took delivery. Happy to hear any thoughts.
You are absolutely eligible for up to the full $7500 tax credit. No worries.
Sponsored