Has there been a solution to the hitch/bike rack conundrum?

x petro

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired Ford Engineer
Country flag
As the day to the delivery of my "dream car" get closer, the stress around the issue of taking a bike with me on the ride gets greater. I love to cycle and probably put more miles on the bike than I did on my car last year. I can't ride out of my home so every ride means loading the bike on the rack to a safe ride start point. I'm not looking to duplicate the 2 in receiver and Kuaat rack I'm now using but something other than a mount stuck to the panorama roof or trying to cram 1 or 2 bikes into the rear storage, is very important to me. Am I going to be forced to make the decision that this just isn't the vehicle that meets my needs? I know I'm not the only person with this concern and this is beginning to feel like a significant design flaw omitting this important consideration in a new from scratch "utility" vehicle.. help!
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
As the day to the delivery of my "dream car" get closer, the stress around the issue of taking a bike with me on the ride gets greater. I love to cycle and probably put more miles on the bike than I did on my car last year. I can't ride out of my home so every ride means loading the bike on the rack to a safe ride start point. I'm not looking to duplicate the 2 in receiver and Kuaat rack I'm now using but something other than a mount stuck to the panorama roof or trying to cram 1 or 2 bikes into the rear storage, is very important to me. Am I going to be forced to make the decision that this just isn't the vehicle that meets my needs? I know I'm not the only person with this concern and this is beginning to feel like a significant design flaw omitting this important consideration in a new from scratch "utility" vehicle.. help!
See https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...g-capacity-and-towing-equipment-for-mme.2880/

In particular, the most complete thread with the latest is the original:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-towing-hitch-option-now-available.275/

Searching for "hitch" in thread titles does wonders ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

x petro

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired Ford Engineer
Country flag
Thank you for the links. Lots of discussion and good intent but no definite solutions or timing estimates for a functional hitch.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thank you for the links. Lots of discussion and good intent but no definite solutions or timing estimates for a functional hitch.
Yep. That's the current state of affairs. A couple of aftermarket manufacturers have offered a free hitch to the first MME owner that can bring their car to them to get measured. But the availability of something is probably still a ways off.

mattbostonmache

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4
Country flag
Following. This is really important to me.

What does the European hitch look like? And could that part be installed on an American car?

The aftermarket hitch on my RAV4 sits pretty low. And the MME is already really low.

And I don't really want to go aftermarket roofrack because it's hard to get a heavier bike up there. And roofrack mounted carriers are either quick release or through axle. My trip bike is QR and my gravel and MTN bikes are TA.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Following. This is really important to me.

What does the European hitch look like? And could that part be installed on an American car?

The aftermarket hitch on my RAV4 sits pretty low. And the MME is already really low.

And I don't really want to go aftermarket roofrack because it's hard to get a heavier bike up there. And roofrack mounted carriers are either quick release or through axle. My trip bike is QR and my gravel and MTN bikes are TA.
See https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-towing-hitch-option-now-available.275/

OP
OP

x petro

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired Ford Engineer
Country flag
EcoHitch is not an option as they do not have a hitch available for the MME. Here is their response after I sent a Nov. 2020 request for a hitch solution:

Thanks for reaching out and for allowing me the opportunity to add some value. I wasn't able to find a fitment for your vehicle. I will add your information to our core product testing database for a follow up when we have a fitment for your vehicle. This database provides our engineering team an understanding of which vehicles require testing and development. Let me know if you have any further questions or need anything else in the meantime. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jenna Schlafmann
Customer Support and Sales
Torklift
800-246-8132

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
EcoHitch is not an option as they do not have a hitch available for the MME. Here is their response after I sent a Nov. 2020 request for a hitch solution:

Thanks for reaching out and for allowing me the opportunity to add some value. I wasn't able to find a fitment for your vehicle. I will add your information to our core product testing database for a follow up when we have a fitment for your vehicle. This database provides our engineering team an understanding of which vehicles require testing and development. Let me know if you have any further questions or need anything else in the meantime. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jenna Schlafmann
Customer Support and Sales
Torklift
800-246-8132
However, I called Jenna and got the full story months ago. The first person to take their car to Kent, WA gets their hitch installed for free. At that point Torklift will be able to make them for others. Same with Stealth Hitches in Sugar Hill, GA. See: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-towing-hitch-option-now-available.275/post-84641

Dangerfish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE Cyber Orange
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Country flag
This is very important to me too. I want to be able to continue to use my Kuat NV 2.0. But it looks like I'll have to wait a while for a solution for that. Until then, if you don't want to mount on the roof, I think we have 2 options. Seasucker (either Talon or Hornet would be my choice) and something like a Saris Bone. I'm not crazy about the Seasucker so I'd probably go with the Saris. It should attached to the back of the MME. Only thing in my situation is the position of my rear shock. I don't know if it will allow me to hang the bike from the Saris.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Has there been a solution to the hitch/bike rack conundrum? Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.30.25 AM

Colorider

First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Standard AWD
Country flag
Yep, this is a big concern for me too. I probably won’t get my car until late summer so I’m confident that there will be solutions by then but it sucks for you early adopters.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
This is very important to me too. I want to be able to continue to use my Kuat NV 2.0. But it looks like I'll have to wait a while for a solution for that. Until then, if you don't want to mount on the roof, I think we have 2 options. Seasucker (either Talon or Hornet would be my choice) and something like a Saris Bone. I'm not crazy about the Seasucker so I'd probably go with the Saris. It should attached to the back of the MME. Only thing in my situation is the position of my rear shock. I don't know if it will allow me to hang the bike from the Saris.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Has there been a solution to the hitch/bike rack conundrum? Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.30.25 AM
yeah I have both a seasucker (2bike) and a 3-bike Bones rack. I think Bones is probably the easiest setup, though as noted, if you do, you need to disable the auto trunk open mechanism to be safe.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag