Has Wireless CarPlay slower to connect since summer 2022 updates?

thesloth

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
Hi,

Is it just me, or have others noticed that since the summer OTA updates (3.3.1 and the 22S41 & 22S29 Recall) that Wireless CarPlay takes way longer to connect than it did before the updates?

I would have sworn, that before those updates, CarPlay would usually connect within 30 seconds, usually around the time you start moving, and roughly in line with the rest of the boot up of the interface and the satellite radio. (which may also have gotten slower, but that is harder to tell)

Ever since those updates it seems take around 2 minutes or more, the CarPlay screen has a the grey background and connect a phone button well after I am on my way, and certainly beyond my patience if I wanted to use CarPlay for navigating.

I am wondering if I am the only one, of if there is a common impression and if so, how and where to make a support request.

Thanks!
=Blair.

BTW, I love my MME and I love the Wireless CarPlay
Sponsored

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay and personal profiles became much less reliable after the 3.2.1 update. 3.3.1 didn’t make it better or worse.

I just received 3.5.2. Maybe it fixes some of the things they broke in the 3.2.1 update.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I stopped using wireless CarPlay because of the delay when switching track and the tracks would have the first 2-3 seconds cut off when it would switch on its own. Not fun listening to continuous play albums. I have been using wired and my phone charges way faster and doesn't get hot like it did with the wireless charger.

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Wireless CarPlay and personal profiles became much less reliable after the 3.2.1 update. 3.3.1 didn’t make it better or worse.

I just received 3.5.2. Maybe it fixes some of the things they broke in the 3.2.1 update.
My situation is exactly the same as kdonnel.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
Yes

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag

^^^^ This

dj_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium -> 2023 GTPE
Country flag
I stopped using wireless CarPlay because of the delay when switching track and the tracks would have the first 2-3 seconds cut off when it would switch on its own. Not fun listening to continuous play albums. I have been using wired and my phone charges way faster and doesn't get hot like it did with the wireless charger.
I’m the biggest proponent of wired carplay, glad you joined the dark side. However I’ve noticed on my Mach-E there’s a lot of stuttering when anything major changes on the screen. For example when I have maps pulled up and I make a turn, the map rotates and my audio briefly cuts out. Same thing when I return to the carplay Home Screen or swipe between apps. Do you have the same issue?

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
I've always had a lot of variability in how long it takes Carplay to connect. Recently, I have had at least 2, maybe 3, instances where I had to reboot Sync twice to get Carplay to connect. It always connected on the first reboot in the past. One of those was using wired Carplay even.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Yes, similar experience. I even find it can struggle to connect via wired CarPlay on occasion.

PaaK is also less sensitive when I walk up to the car now, too.

SprManKalEl

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Country flag
I’m the biggest proponent of wired carplay, glad you joined the dark side. However I’ve noticed on my Mach-E there’s a lot of stuttering when anything major changes on the screen. For example when I have maps pulled up and I make a turn, the map rotates and my audio briefly cuts out. Same thing when I return to the carplay Home Screen or swipe between apps. Do you have the same issue?
I had a 2017 Hyundai Elantra before my MME. The CarPlay on that was only wired. I had no issues but, when I got the MME, I was excited for wired. I used it for about 3 weeks and I couldn’t deal with the lag between button press and the chopping of the first 2-3 seconds of songs. I plugged in. I’m using an Apple USB-C to lightning cable. I notice that sometimes I hear a little crackle like the music I’m listening to is on vinyl. It’s not constant. Happens every once in a while. No delays or anything when the screen changes. I’m gonna try the USB-A to lightning cable I had in my Elantra to see if that remedies the crackle.

I do have to say that I think the wireless charging had a negative effect on my battery. I had an iPhone 11 Pro that I got on release day and had for 2 years.I have a Qi charger for nighttime charging and I used the wired CarPlay. The 11 Pro had 100% capacity (battery health) when I traded it in at 2 years old. I now have an iPhone 13 Pro. After barley 1 year, the battery is at 96% capacity. The only thing different was the Qi charging in the MME. That thing made my phone very hot.

OP
OP
thesloth

thesloth

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
I find once it connects it is usually good although once in a while it will stop working correctly, but rarely. Things are laggy sometimes, but it’s always been like that. I don’t notice choppy audio.

I have 3.5.2 now and had to select from the phone list once (because I needed to use it and it still wasn’t connected after at least a minute of driving) one time it connected quick after being parked for about 20 minutes.

I will say that the car has to switch a lot between 2 phones, which may be a factor.

I will also add that 2 of us are using PAak exclusively and seems pretty good at picking the profile most of the time with only the rare occasion I need to change it or it says no key for a minute usually when I watch the wife drive off and it picked my key instead of hers. The seat memory buttons work reliably still, so I would say that is the same for me as before the updates
Sponsored