Have a reservation (First Edition), how to order a GT?

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Hello All!

Just found this forum and think I will be hanging out here a bit ...

I reserved back in November (First Edition) and want to get the GT (performance edition). I was confused by the ordering process. Can someone help me out?

I am informed that I need to convert my reservation to an order by 8/1 but it didn't look like I could order the GT at this time. Does that mean I need to cancel my reservation (or allow it to lapse), get a refund of the $500, and place a new reservation for a GT?

Thanks in advance!

marc
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hello All!

Just found this forum and think I will be hanging out here a bit ...

I reserved back in November (First Edition) and want to get the GT (performance edition). I was confused by the ordering process. Can someone help me out?

I am informed that I need to convert my reservation to an order by 8/1 but it didn't look like I could order the GT at this time. Does that mean I need to cancel my reservation (or allow it to lapse), get a refund of the $500, and place a new reservation for a GT?

Thanks in advance!

marc
I think the consensus is that you should hold on to your reservation and wait. If you cancel your reservation and put in a new reservation for a GT, you will be at the end of the line.

The ordering window for the GT is in December. The production sequence will be based on the reservation timestamp and not the ordering timestamp. This means that if you put in a reservation, regardless of trim level, the reservation time stamp determines your place in line and not when you converted the reservation into an order.

I am in the same boat as you, more or less. I have a premium reservation (10009) but I'm going to upgrade to a GT as soon as the GT ordering window opens in December.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I think the consensus is that you should hold on to your reservation and wait. If you cancel your reservation and put in a new reservation for a GT, you will be at the end of the line.

The ordering window for the GT is in December. The production sequence will be based on the reservation timestamp and not the ordering timestamp. This means that if you put in a reservation, regardless of trim level, the reservation time stamp determines your place in line and not when you converted the reservation into an order.

I am in the same boat as you, more or less. I have a premium reservation (10009) but I'm going to upgrade to a GT as soon as the GT ordering window opens in December.
I would agree if they did NOT have a FE reservation. That is a different problem. If they do not convert the FE reservation by 8-1 then the reservation gets cancelled. Done. That's it. Reservation money will be refunded. You're out of the process.

As I understand the process you have two possible choices.

1. Call the Ford help desk ( 800-334-4375 (1, 3, 1) ask if they can change your reservation from a FE to a Premium/Select/Rt 1. This may allow you to wait until December. Since these reservations will not expire until then. Then in December you should be able to switch to the GT.

2. Put in a new reservation for the GT. Call the Ford help desk ( 800-334-4375 (1, 3, 1) to see if they can transfer your FE timestamp to this new GT reservation. Then allow your FE reservation to expire or cancel it.

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Thanks for the reply.

So I should take no action, let this 8/1 deadline pass, and then we assume that sometime (December?) an ordering window opens up for the GT and our reservation is still active and allows us to order.

Is anyone else taking the tack of placing a second reservation specifically for the GT, and leaving both open. Ties up an additional $500 I understand, but of course both are fully refundable.

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Sorry Silverelan -- our posts crossed! OK, so that makes it sound like I'll need that second reservation. No biggie but kind of a strange "penalty" for folks like me that make quick reservations and naturally selected the FE. I'm on hold at the 800 number and will update here with any information I might get.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks for the reply.

So I should take no action, let this 8/1 deadline pass, and then we assume that sometime (December?) an ordering window opens up for the GT and our reservation is still active and allows us to order.

Is anyone else taking the tack of placing a second reservation specifically for the GT, and leaving both open. Ties up an additional $500 I understand, but of course both are fully refundable.
Do what @hybrid2bev recommends. That guy knows how to Mustang Mach-E things.

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Agree!

After 30 minutes listening to hold message on tight auto-repeat, I gave up and I'll try that 800 number again later.

Hope some regional Sales manager from Ford is online and listening!!

Marc

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
I would agree if they did NOT have a FE reservation. That is a different problem. If they do not convert the FE reservation by 8-1 then the reservation gets cancelled. Done. That's it. Reservation money will be refunded. You're out of the process.

As I understand the process you have two possible choices.

1. Call the Ford help desk ( 800-334-4375 (1, 3, 1) ask if they can change your reservation from a FE to a Premium/Select/Rt 1. This may allow you to wait until December. Since these reservations will not expire until then. Then in December you should be able to switch to the GT.

2. Put in a new reservation for the GT. Call the Ford help desk ( 800-334-4375 (1, 3, 1) to see if they can transfer your FE timestamp to this new GT reservation. Then allow your FE reservation to expire or cancel it.
Somewhat off topic, but do we know what’s going to happen any expired FE reservations on 08/01? Do they just not get produced, or are they somehow up for grabs?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Somewhat off topic, but do we know what’s going to happen any expired FE reservations on 08/01? Do they just not get produced, or are they somehow up for grabs?
Speaking only for the NA market:
Nothing has been published that says it's possible to order a FE without a FE reservation. If a FE reservation holder fails to convert to an order by 8/1 then their reservation is cancelled and deposit returned.

My guess is that no, FE will not be opened again.

It would not be fair to those that have already converted to an order to suddenly allow a switch. Especially since all the published documents already say it's not possible to switch to a FE and the dealers have accepted the wholesale vehicle allocation for any converted orders. The only way I could see this happening is if open FE slots were first offered by reservation time stamp order to those that have already converted to an order. Then to those who have not converted yet, again offering by reservation time stamp order. But that whole process would take too much time and be too complicated. Plus if Ford wants to get the FE job sequence set up in time for production they don't have time to fool around, hence the 7/31 cut off date.

So my assumption is that only the NA market FE's that are ordered will be made, no extras.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Speaking only for the NA market:
... My guess is that no, FE will not be opened again...

So my assumption is that only the NA market FE's that are ordered will be made, no extras.
And just so the EU/UK market doesn't get left out, I'll make the same guess for the First Edition over there. They even had an extra period during which they could order FEs during their launch tour events in early 2020.

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Thank you hybrid2bev!

So is it generally accepted as true that once the ordering window closed, the actual delivery of vehicles will be done in reservation timestamp order? Or could it possibly just be by order date, so be quick on the keyboard when the order window opens? Or is it on a dealership discretionary basis?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you hybrid2bev!

So is it generally accepted as true that once the ordering window closed, the actual delivery of vehicles will be done in reservation timestamp order? Or could it possibly just be by order date, so be quick on the keyboard when the order window opens? Or is it on a dealership discretionary basis?
When production sequencing starts the schedulers will take the orders that have been placed and prioritize them by timestamp. Then once they start planning the sequence of the next batch job they'll prioritize that next batch by timestamps, so on and so forth. So as new orders come in they will go into in the next available production batch job and prioritized into the next available slot within that batch by timestamp.

My dealer says they are prioritizing the DELIVERY of my Mach-E to their store (large metro Detroit dealer), so maybe there is some dealer influence in the shipping? But I've not seen anyway for the dealer to influence where your vehicle falls into the production sequence.

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Thanks!

Well my first call was to the Ford CRC, they were very nice but said there was nothing they could to to convert my (day one) FE reservation over to a GT. Just to be complete I am going to call into the Marketing Center at the number you provided but I'm not very hopeful.

Will keep this group informed of anything I learn.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
FE and GT are effectively separate queues with different timelines from the rest of the models. In effect, you cannot jump from one queue to the other without getting in the back of the line. The fastest way to get a GT if you don't already have a GT reservation is to create a new GT reservation asap.
So if you have a FE or Select/Premium reservation, you're siloed into that trim and can't change it to a GT in December?

OP
OP

Fairorth

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
My particular problem is that I have an FE reservation and those are required to turn into an order by 8/1 or you lose it. Not possible to convert an FE reservation into a GT.

I can not say what the story is for those with other Select/Premium reservations but those are still open and do not need to be converted to an order at this time. I guess we will have to see if, at the time those become ready to place orders if you are able and permitted to place an order on a GT.

I created a second reservation last week for a GT which is what I want.
Sponsored