Have you measured the actual efficiency?

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
I have a Splitvolt device that among other things counting kWh I consumed charging car from the moment of installation. So dividing the total mileage on the car to the total energy consumed from the grid I'm getting about 2.5 miles per kWh.
At the same time the "Trip1" display, which I haven't reset from the time I started driving shows the average of 3.3 mi/kWh. If both numbers are correct, the grid-to-wheels efficiency is only about 75%. Or putting it another way, 25% of electricity is wasted.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Did you have it plugged in during the cold weather to condition the car and battery without actually adding miles?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
No, the numbers reflect the driving, there aren't any known losses.
He's asking about whether there are reasons for the charging efficiency -- related to losses from wall to battery -- to be so low. These losses should be more around 10% not 25%. Could be the Splitvolt. Would not entirely surprise me.

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I think the bigger question is how many kWh does the split volt say it’s given the car, versus how many kWh has actually reached the battery. Your 3.3 miles/kWh is actually pretty good but reflects more about your driving style than the efficiency of your car.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
The L2 (and any) charging has losses. Around 5-10% depending on equipment, etc...

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Don't forget, not all of the power you use to drive comes from charging. You also recharge the battery every time you slow down and stop.

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
  • Banned
The L2 (and any) charging has losses. Around 5-10% depending on equipment, etc...
I measured about 5% loss is in total home circuit. The charger itself barely consumes anything, it doesn't even get warm. I'm using Grizzl-e, it has very thick cable, probably rated for 100A, doesn't get warm at all.
I don't know how much the car itself is losing during charging, but I doubt it's 20%. We have about 25% in total to account for.
I haven't used DC charging yet, I wonder if there is a discrepancy between the charger reported kWh and SOS reported by car.
Another thing not totally clear is the 3.3mi/kWh reported by car. We don't know how that number is calculated. Does kWh number correspond to SOS change or measured consumption. There is another loss, perhaps 5% or more when battery is discharging, depending on current. If they measure the power delivered then the battery lost more than that, but then there would be a noticeable discrepancy in actual mileage and calculated from the reported consumption number.

Last edited:

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I measured about 5% loss is in total home circuit. The charger itself barely consumes anything, it doesn't even get warm. I'm using Grizzl-e, it has very thick cable, probably rated for 100A, doesn't get warm at all.
I don't know how much the car itself is losing during charging, but I doubt it's 20%. We have about 25% in total to account for.
Just to be clear, the charger for L2 is in the car, the EVSE is a "smart" switch.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Your 3.3 miles/kWh is actually pretty good but reflects more about your driving style than the efficiency of your car.
Nothing to do with the efficiency of the car. Except it is the efficiency of his car.

Last edited:

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
EPA MPGe is a measure of the efficiency including grid loss.
Sponsored