Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Let me start out by saying I never see the puddle lamps light up on my Mach-E because I don't have the welcome lighting feature turned on. Even if I did, they would only come on when the car is locked, mirrors are folded and you approach it starting from outside the PAAK/fob range. The reason is because my car would constantly be lighting up. I go into my garage many times a day and even when I'm in the kitchen or laundry room, that is close enough proximity, having my phone always in my pocket, to activate the welcome lighting.

That said, I thought it would be nice if my puddle lamps came on like they do with my other cars, anytime I open the door. I figured if my 2020 Mustang can do this, I should be able to do it on the Mach-E. I was hoping to just rewire the the puddle lamp inside the door however, there is no courtesy lighting circuit there. The only circuit in the door I could tap the puddle lamp into would be the ambient lighting which means they would be on anytime the headlights are on and I didn't want that.

Unfortunately, I had to run a wire out of each door and tap into a courtesy lighting wire at the BCM under the glove box. Running this wire through the rubber connector between the door and body was a PITA but I got it done. The puddle lamps are now activated anytime the interior courtesy lights are on (when a door is opened) or when you remotely unlock your car with PAAK, key fob or in my case, Siri. They fade on and off just like the interior lights do.

As you may have seen with other electrical projects I have done on my car, I am not afraid to tap into or cut wires to rewire a circuit. Sometimes there are issues that may arise but in the end, I get what I want done. It took me a good couple of hours to do this. Removing the interior door panels take less than a couple of minutes each. Running the wire from each door to the glove box area is where all the time goes.

For anyone wanting to achieve this puddle lighting mod, this is what you need to do:

In the driver's door, the puddle lamp 12V+ wire is the Violet/Green wire in the black connector at the Driver Door Module. In the Passenger's door, the puddle lamp 12V+ wire is the Brown/Yellow wire in the black connector at the Passenger Door Module. You have to cut these wires and attach a wire to the side going to the puddle lamp and tape off the one coming out of the control module. Run the wire out of each door and over to under the glove box, again this is a PITA to do. The wire you want to tap into (not cut) is the Gray/Violet wire located in the wiring loom at the top connector in the BCM. Connect each wire you ran out of the doors to this wire and you are done.

Just took video below this morning. It was light in the garage and the puddle lamp shines on two different surfaces in my garage but you get the idea. This was unlocking and locking the car with key fob. The same thing happens anytime the door is open, I just didn't have anyone here to demonstrate that.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
, I had to run a wire out of each door and tap into a courtesy lighting wire at the BCM under the glove box. Running this wire through the rubber connector between the door and body was a PITA but I got it done. The puddle lamps are now activated anytime the interior courtesy lights are on (when a door is opened) or when you remotely unlock your car with PAAK, key fob or in my case, Siri. They fade on and off just like the interior lights do.

In the driver's door, the puddle lamp 12V+ wire is the Violet/Green wire in the black connector at the Driver Door Module. In the Passenger's door, the puddle lamp 12V+ wire is the Brown/Yellow wire in the black connector at the Passenger Door Module. You have to cut these wires and attach a wire to the side going to the puddle lamp and tape off the one coming out of the control module. Run the wire out of each door and over to under the glove box, again this is a PITA to do. The wire you want to tap into (not cut) is the Gray/Violet wire located in the wiring loom at the top connector in the BCM. Connect each wire you ran out of the doors to this wire and you are done.
I love it..... It sure would be nice to have the Puddle lights come on with Courtesy and door-open.

Now that you've done all the hard work of identifying the wires at the BCM, would you have to run new wires thru the door to BCM, or could a person just extract the violet/green from the driver's side door loom under the dash, and brown/yellow on passenger side, and run both to the gray/violet top connector in BCM ?

would this avoid the need to thread NEW wire from BCM thru each door hinge ?

can you provide a picture or two at the BCM under dash? maybe with a pointer to the wires for puddle and courtesy 12v+ ?

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Nice stuff. Good to know it's possible.

I'm hoping the behaviour of the puddle lamps can be changed in software and am holding out for that day!
Indeed. I'd like the ability to control when and how long they come on, including when opening a door. But it's not like it's that important, just cool.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I love it..... It sure would be nice to have the Puddle lights come on with Courtesy and door-open.

Now that you've done all the hard work of identifying the wires at the BCM, would you have to run new wires thru the door to BCM, or could a person just extract the violet/green from the driver's side door loom under the dash, and brown/yellow on passenger side, and run both to the gray/violet top connector in BCM ?

would this avoid the need to thread NEW wire from BCM thru each door hinge ?

can you provide a picture or two at the BCM under dash? maybe with a pointer to the wires for puddle and courtesy 12v+ ?
The violet/green and brown/yellow wires just go from the puddle lamps to the door modules inside the door so thatā€™s why I had to run a wire out the doors to the BCM. If one doesnā€™t mind having the puddle lamps on anytime the doors open and close AND while the headlamps are on, there is a wire inside the doors to connect to. I donā€™t remember the color right now. As far as photos of the BCM wires, Iā€™m out of town on vacation until around the 12th so have to get back to you on that one.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The violet/green and brown/yellow wires just go from the puddle lamps to the door modules inside the door so thatā€™s why I had to run a wire out the doors to the BCM. If one doesnā€™t mind having the puddle lamps on anytime the doors open and close AND while the headlamps are on, there is a wire inside the doors to connect to.
.... I see ....
Hhhmmm, I think it might be 'cool' to have the Pony's running next to the car at night. ;)

CommittotheIndian

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mach-E Select eAWD Star White
Occupation
Indiana Supreme Court - IT
Country flag
I'm curious if this could be accomplished with Forscan. @i8iridium seems to be the master of Forscan, I wonder if he has any thoughts.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Did anyone figure out if this could be done with forescan? I see that EV Vida has the dynamic mustang modification (i.e. the Chinese puddle lights with the galloping pony). If forescan could be modified to allow for the puddle lights come on with the courtesy lamp and dynamic pony mod installed, the puddle lamps would be really cool.

I have always wondered why Ford did it the way they did. A puddle lamp should come on when you unlock the door so it lights up the ground around your car. They way you can see. It turning off as soon as you unlock your door is stupid.
Sponsored