Having Trouble Finding Dealer to do Warranty Windshield/Roof Reseal

Giselle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Mach E, Corvette, GMC 2500
Country flag
I live in a rural area, about 20 miles from Salem Oregon, and am having trouble finding a dealer that is capable of doing the warranty windshield/roof reseal. The car was purchased from the dealer in Salem, Oregon who promised a loaner car to drive while they serviced my car last year because they wanted the car all day. When I arrived they refused to provide the loaner car and at the end told me they would never provide a loaner car to me and I should never come back. Did I attempt to hold them to their promise: Yes, apparently I was too pushy when I expected them to provide the promised loaner car. That work was never completed.

I called the local Ford dealer in Sublimity/Aumsville (second dealer contact) to see if they could do the windshield/roof reseal, they said their shop is too small and they can't do the windshield/roof warranty work. I've now called two other dealers about the warranty work to do the windshield/roof reseal. The third dealer kindly scheduled the warranty work, saying a local glass company would come to their shop do the work and it would take a whole day. They scheduled the work about a month out so a loaner car would be available, then called about a week before the appointment and said the glass company couldn't do the work. I've now called a fourth dealer, they said a local glass company would do the work, I asked them to confirm since the previous dealer had said the same thing, that dealer is now checking to see if the glass dealer will do the work or not. The two dealers attempted to be helpful and accommodating but I'm wondering if I will need to take my car to Portland, Oregon, which is more than an hour away, to have this warranty work done. It sounds like it will take two days to do both the warranty work and install Blue Cruise (offered via email), loaner cars are clearly scarce, I don't want to stay in a waiting room with Covid spreading, what am I supposed to do to get home? I've offered to accept a shuttle ride home but have been told I live too far away for a shuttle ride. I like my Mach E but have never bought a brand new car and then had so much trouble getting it serviced.

I understand new cars are hard to come by and this makes loaner cars scarce but it seems wrong to sell me a new car and then make it (1) difficult to find a dealer who is capable of doing warranty work on the car, (2) my responsibility to get a ride to/from the dealer when service is necessary. Any ideas?
Sponsored

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
That's just crazy. FWIW my local dealer won't do the recall either.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
First, the loner or rental is part of the recall, so it should be part of the deal. I had to show the service guy at the local Ford dealer the actual recall notice. I am planning the windshield replacement at 10K miles so checkup can be done at same time. There was mention that dealers without body shops could not do the repair themselves, but they would have a 3rd party glass company do the work. I have the issue of a window chip and will likely need to deal with that as well.

Sounds like your local dealers need some encouragement to service a vehicle brand they represent. I almost think it would have been easier if Ford just allowed owners to schedule a windshield replacement by a auto glass company. Most of these companies will schedule and come to you so that alternate transportation is not necessary. We are seeing some of the effects of the D2C (direct to consumer) model.

Wondering if you can work with Ford to see if you can be reimbursed for a car rental directly. May start the conversation on what you are running into so far as finding a dealer or other to perform recall. I do not have the recall notice handy, but there must be a help line or number to call if you are running into problems.

PS. I'd be happy to borrow your Corvette for the week and drop you off at the dealer! (user profiles are very informative... see your other vehicles and my location)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Dealers are not required to have a loaner available. Many dealers do not have loaners available for anyone under any circumstances. They should have, however, arranged for a rental up to the paltry amount allowed under the recall and by Ford.

Most dealers do not have body shops - collision centers. They can contract the work out but many glass shops either aren’t willing to do the work or are unable given their already short staffing.

Dealer wise, I’m not sure who you have contacted, but have you tried the Ford Dealer in Kizer? Or the one down in Albany? That one may be a bit far though.

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I bought mine when I lived in the PDX metro area (Sherwood) and now live in Keizer. Your post kinda affirms my thoughts that smaller market like Salem means the dealers aren’t as prepared to deal with the MME. I know Damerow in Beaverton has sold a lot of MMEs (where I bought mine), but not thrilled on having to spend the whole day to two on this fox and why I’ve been putting off getting the recall work done.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I think more of us need to complain to @Ford Motor Company about this. It took me 6 months to get mine into the one dealer in the entire Denver Metro that seems to be doing the recall work. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Ford HQ actually did anything but just log the complaint, but maybe if enough us do it they will figure out a solution.

OldEVGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I keep getting notices from Ford about this recall, so I contacted my local dealer last week. They are having their collision center handle these recalls. The manager of the collision center said Ford is in the process of training the technicians, and will be in touch after they’re trained. It gave me the impression they haven’t done any, since she said I would be added to their list. I agree, @Ford Motor Company needs to do more to make this easier.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
The only issue I had getting this scheduled and completed was that my preferred dealer said since they don't have a body shop to contact one of the 2 in this area that do.

Make sure the dealer you are talking to has a body/collision shop

Was given an enterprise rental no questions asked too

I believe there are still a large number of dealers out there that just think this whole EV thing is a fad that will fade and they can get back to business as usual. Total number of Ford dealers vs EF certified Ford dealers bears this out, IMHO. Some folks just don't want to accept change

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
It's a shame you all are on the other side of the world. My dealership here in NW Ohio set my appointment, told me two days to repair, advised me they outsource the job to a local glass specialty shop, but to drop the car, and pick it up at dealership. They have no rental cars, but if needed, would make arrangements with near by Enterprise. I just scheduled on days off and was shuttled back and forth by dealership.

Car was done on time as promised and is perfect đź‘Ś. This shop has processed some 20+ Mach E recalls now. It's become a well oiled machine.

Keep hunting and try to be flexible. Remember loaners are really hard to come by, and now we're in summer months (vacation rentals).

Good luck and cheers!

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
It took a little help, but I finally got my local dealer to 1) do the recall. 2) provide a loaner 3) do my 10K checkup and tire rotation. I'm about a month out until I hit 10K miles

My guess is that much like the travel agent (we all use travelocity and the like), the days of the dealer selling cars are numbered. They will likely turn into full service repair for all cars to stay afloat. It will take a while, but if you cannot support a brand, then eventually you will lose customers. Just the attitude and upsell is enough to keep me away personally. Technology also has a lot to do with the shift. Probably why Ford is introducing Model E method. I also think that car repair for ICE vehicles will experience an uber like model for mobile maintenance and repair. Safelite is a good example. Just come out and work on my car while I am working or do not need to drive it. I think this would have been a good way to handle this recall as well.

OP
OP

Giselle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I bought mine when I lived in the PDX metro area (Sherwood) and now live in Keizer. Your post kinda affirms my thoughts that smaller market like Salem means the dealers aren’t as prepared to deal with the MME. I know Damerow in Beaverton has sold a lot of MMEs (where I bought mine), but not thrilled on having to spend the whole day to two on this fox and why I’ve been putting off getting the recall work done.
Thank you for the note. So far I've spoken with the Ford dealers in Aumsville/Stayton and Albany, both declined to provide the warranty work because they were unable to reseal the glass. My experience with the Salem Ford dealer indicated it is not customer friendly, they literally hung up on me when I held firm in asking them to stand behind their promise to provide a loaner as promised. The Ford dealer in Corvallis seems to be earnestly attempting to find a way to get the work done and I'm waiting (2-3 weeks and counting) to see if they can address the warranty recall on the windshield and roof.

Ford Customer Care in Detroit (800-392-3673) says ALL dealers are supposed to provide warranty service, if the dealer won't do warranty work they can have their dealership revoked. This initial call to Ford's Detroit Customer Service did not result in an offer to intervene or help when I said the dealer in Aumsville/Stayton declined to do the warranty work, as did the dealer in Albany (Oregon). The person I was speaking with at Ford Customer Service in Detroit said he was in the Ford PASS section, not customer service so it wasn't his place to address dealers who declined to do warranty work. This individual had computer access to my car's information when I provided its VIN.

I called Ford Customer Care in Detroit again, this time they asked if I wanted to file a complaint. It wasn't my intent to file a complaint so I explained I was calling because I thought they'd like to know that Ford dealers in Aumsville/Stayton and Albany weren't willing to do safety warranty work. Ford's Customer Care (hesitantly) agreed to document my concern. They also asked me for identifying information, including my vehicle's VIN, and my contact information, they clearly did not have computer access to my vehicle information. They offered to document my concern, without an offer to follow-up, I've received no follow-up.

My interest is in getting my MME's warranty issue addressed. It's my first Ford, a nice car. To date my experience with Ford has been frustrating, as though Ford dealers are hesitant or unprepared to service Ford's new electric vehicles.

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Thank you for the note. So far I've spoken with the Ford dealers in Aumsville/Stayton and Albany, both declined to provide the warranty work because they were unable to reseal the glass. My experience with the Salem Ford dealer indicated it is not customer friendly, they literally hung up on me when I held firm in asking them to stand behind their promise to provide a loaner as promised. The Ford dealer in Corvallis seems to be earnestly attempting to find a way to get the work done and I'm waiting (2-3 weeks and counting) to see if they can address the warranty recall on the windshield and roof.

Ford Customer Care in Detroit (800-392-3673) says ALL dealers are supposed to provide warranty service, if the dealer won't do warranty work they can have their dealership revoked. This initial call to Ford's Detroit Customer Service did not result in an offer to intervene or help when I said the dealer in Aumsville/Stayton declined to do the warranty work, as did the dealer in Albany (Oregon). The person I was speaking with at Ford Customer Service in Detroit said he was in the Ford PASS section, not customer service so it wasn't his place to address dealers who declined to do warranty work. This individual had computer access to my car's information when I provided its VIN.

I called Ford Customer Care in Detroit again, this time they asked if I wanted to file a complaint. It wasn't my intent to file a complaint so I explained I was calling because I thought they'd like to know that Ford dealers in Aumsville/Stayton and Albany weren't willing to do safety warranty work. Ford's Customer Care (hesitantly) agreed to document my concern. They also asked me for identifying information, including my vehicle's VIN, and my contact information, they clearly did not have computer access to my vehicle information. They offered to document my concern, without an offer to follow-up, I've received no follow-up.

My interest is in getting my MME's warranty issue addressed. It's my first Ford, a nice car. To date my experience with Ford has been frustrating, as though Ford dealers are hesitant or unprepared to service Ford's new electric vehicles.
My first Ford, too. Which dealer in Salem?
I can’t help but think the only option is to go to somewhere in PDX for now. It feels like there isn’t enough of these cars in this area that a dealer is going to think it’s worth their while. And maybe some resistance to change.

MorsRedigo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mache
Country flag
Been waiting over 4 months for back ordered parts in Canada... also now onto 2 months for a parking break... So i guess the Ford solution is to wait. until its off warranty? @Ford Motor Company you should really do something about this..

OP
OP

Giselle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My first Ford, too. Which dealer in Salem?
I can’t help but think the only option is to go to somewhere in PDX for now. It feels like there isn’t enough of these cars in this area that a dealer is going to think it’s worth their while. And maybe some resistance to change.
Skyline Ford on Commercial Street. I will never go to Skyline Ford again (if I have a choice). It seemed like they were "always" calculating and sorting out their truth, and which version they should say out loud.
It's a shame you all are on the other side of the world. My dealership here in NW Ohio set my appointment, told me two days to repair, advised me they outsource the job to a local glass specialty shop, but to drop the car, and pick it up at dealership. They have no rental cars, but if needed, would make arrangements with near by Enterprise. I just scheduled on days off and was shuttled back and forth by dealership.

Car was done on time as promised and is perfect đź‘Ś. This shop has processed some 20+ Mach E recalls now. It's become a well oiled machine.

Keep hunting and try to be flexible. Remember loaners are really hard to come by, and now we're in summer months (vacation rentals).

Good luck and cheers!
Maybe I should drive from Oregon to Ohio ;-) I'm happy Ford provided you with good service!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag

Good afternoon. Would you please send over a private message with your VIN and preferred dealer name/location so I can look into this concern on my end? Thank you!
Sponsored