Headlight died and Ford cannot replace!!!!

BrooklynCPA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mache California Route 1
I purchased my 2021 Mache California Route 1 a few months ago. My Driver side headlight went dead not long after. I brough it to to my local dealer where I purchased the car. After sitting there for 2 days they informed me that Ford does not have a replacement and there there is no information about when is will be available. Now I have a brand new $50K+ car that cannot legally be driven at night!!!! Can this be possible? Has anyone hade this issue before? HELP!!!
Sponsored

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Oh, that sucks and is a nightmare. I am sure you are working with the dealership GM. I would befriend that person so that they are your advocate to push Ford to help. At the very least, someone (dealer or Ford) should be giving you a loaner car until it is resolved. If they are paying for a loaner, that should get them motivated. If Ford is making cars, they have headlights. It is just a matter of emphasizing that the car is not usable at night and get them to understand/appreciate your situation. Get high enough and Ford can pull a headlight destined to production and have it routed to the dealer. That the is solution and you have a hell of a journey to get to that solution. I wish you luck.

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Depends on what is broken in your headlight but some parts are available
https://www.carid.com/2021-ford-mus...ont-lamps-headlamp-components-4241655630.html
I would check around with other dealers in your area just in case.

Not the first time in the past couple of years that parts aren't available. Had to wait months for a part for our Expedition but it was drivable and they didn't schedule until the part came in for repair.

OP
OP

BrooklynCPA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They need to replace the complete headlight mechanism. Isn't it the responsibility of Ford to find a way to replace it or replace the car. How can they sell a car with a fauly part and not no anything about it?

OP
OP

BrooklynCPA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@ MylittlePony: Thank you for your response.

Does anyone have a contact or department at Ford that can advocate for me or can help with a resolution. I posted my issue on Twitter and their response was that there is already a case and I need to to to work with the dealer!!!!

fpasta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' Mustang Mach E Premium RWD SR
I was thinking about it this. How many hours are the headlights rated for? These are something unique where you can't just go into your local auto parts store and find a replacement. Might go on conserve mode (turning off daytime running lights). Manual operation of headlights. There is no surplus.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
If it is not replaced within 30 days you can use the lemon law and request buyback

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
If it is not replaced within 30 days you can use the lemon law and request buyback
That only works with multiple failed attempts to fix the same issue.

@ MylittlePony: Thank you for your response.

Does anyone have a contact or department at Ford that can advocate for me or can help with a resolution. I posted my issue on Twitter and their response was that there is already a case and I need to to to work with the dealer!!!!
I know for a fact Ford monitors and responds to this forum. I had them reach out to me via DM for a problem I had shortly after purchase.
@Ford Motor Company is one but searching on the site might give you more contacts

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
That only works with multiple failed attempts to fix the same issue.
Different states have different laws, but typically the lemon law can be triggered either due to a number of days the car is out of service due to the same issue or a number of attempted repairs for the same issue. A non-working headlight is a major safety issue and it makes the car illegal to drive which in my non-expert opinion means the car is effectively out of service. The OP should consult a lemon law attorney about his case.

Last edited:

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So you have a record of this issue file a complaint with NHTSA.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yes, I had a fender bender in my old MME and the headlight was the one item that took forever. The body shop couldn't get one after everything else was basically done and they were ready to put the car back together so they got a used one and didn't tell me until I picked it up. They then ordered a new one and swapped it when it came in.

The new one constantly said no ETA and on indefinite backorder but it did eventually arrive. Just tell your dealer to call other dealers and request that they put it in as an emergency order with Ford.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I was thinking about it this. How many hours are the headlights rated for? These are something unique where you can't just go into your local auto parts store and find a replacement. Might go on conserve mode (turning off daytime running lights). Manual operation of headlights. There is no surplus.
The headlight is probably LED which is not a bulb, but a headlight assembly/LED strip. I once had a a/c light go out on my Honda dash and it needed an LED cluster strip to fix.

OP
OP

BrooklynCPA

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The headlight is probably LED which is not a bulb, but a headlight assembly/LED strip. I once had a a/c light go out on my Honda dash and it needed an LED cluster strip to fix.
It needs the complete mechanism which would cost $1700 if not for the warranty.

So basically I am screwed as there is no one to talk to at Ford Corporate and the dealer already told me a few times there's nothing more to be done!!!! This is my first American car I ever purchased!!! :(

Can someone post more information as to how and where to file a complaint.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

So basically I am screwed as there is no one to talk to at Ford Corporate and the dealer already told me a few times there's nothing more to be done!!!! This is my first American car I ever purchased!!! :(

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

Please read my post... call the dealership where it is at and ask for the service manager/director, however that dealer does their hierarchy. Tell him that your advisor is saying the part is on indefinite backorder from Ford and ask him to get an inventory list from dealers to see if any of them have it in stock. If not, tell him to check for a used one so you can drive the car until a new one comes in. Lastly, tell him to place an emergency order for a new headlamp if no dealers have any in stock.
Sponsored