Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Long Range
Country flag
I disable the automated rear hatch when I put my bikes on the rack.
Sponsored

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Updates!

I received a Kuat Hi-Lo extension today - it is a beefy little piece, with a nice threaded hitch pin that secures the extension to the receiver at either the 7” or 10” extension position. It has a ~2” drop (or rise).

In the “drop” position, the fact that the EquipD rack has a slotted hitch pin hole, you can slide it deeper into the extension, meaning the “effective” extension is about 5.25”. In the “rise” position the extension interferes with the bumper and I think you’d be stuck with about 10” of effective extension (but with great ground clearance).

I have half a mind to drill some new holes and put in a new sliding hitch pin nut to allow the extension to mount sideways, but haven’t committed to that yet.

The punchline is that things look good in the ”drop” position, with everything slid as far in as possible. The lowest part of the rack is still 8” above ground. Departure angle isn’t phenomenal, but I’m generally comfortable with it. The rack is basically 5” further out, and 2” down. It sticks out a bit more, but doesn’t look ridiculous. The EquipD’s slot lines up with the extension’s pin hole so it can be locked in place as designed.

A side benefit is that in this configuration the hatch can be opened and closed with the rack up! Nice benefit I wasn’t expecting.

The assembly is quite rigid. Naturally it will wobble a bit more with the extension than without, but the Kuat threaded pin is quite stout and holds things snug. There is a locking version of this pin sold by Kuat for $20, however it appears to be out of stock everywhere. I’ll upgrade when back in stock.

If I could still get a magic 3” extension instead of 5” I’d take it, but this is enough to work as a solution for me for now. It might be possible to use a little grinding with a flap wheel to nip a bit off of the bottom of the receiver collar to allow the rack to overlap the receiver a bit, but I’m going to ride with it this way for a bit and see how I feel.

Photos below:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit E98010B8-DA1F-4095-ADC1-5DF89E6E3F69
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit F8A62E4C-5BBA-493D-A866-11A50CC28990
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 21D67FBF-F6D9-426C-812A-9ECF1917BF0B
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 909E72F9-1DF8-48B3-8094-514F5DDA0A41

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
Updates!

I received a Kuat Hi-Lo extension today - it is a beefy little piece, with a nice threaded hitch pin that secures the extension to the receiver at either the 7” or 10” extension position. It has a ~2” drop (or rise).

In the “drop” position, the fact that the EquipD rack has a slotted hitch pin hole, you can slide it deeper into the extension, meaning the “effective” extension is about 5.25”. In the “rise” position the extension interferes with the bumper and I think you’d be stuck with about 10” of effective extension (but with great ground clearance).

I have half a mind to drill some new holes and put in a new sliding hitch pin nut to allow the extension to mount sideways, but haven’t committed to that yet.

The punchline is that things look good in the ”drop” position, with everything slid as far in as possible. The lowest part of the rack is still 8” above ground. Departure angle isn’t phenomenal, but I’m generally comfortable with it. The rack is basically 5” further out, and 2” down. It sticks out a bit more, but doesn’t look ridiculous. The EquipD’s slot lines up with the extension’s pin hole so it can be locked in place as designed.

A side benefit is that in this configuration the hatch can be opened and closed with the rack up! Nice benefit I wasn’t expecting.

The assembly is quite rigid. Naturally it will wobble a bit more with the extension than without, but the Kuat threaded pin is quite stout and holds things snug. There is a locking version of this pin sold by Kuat for $20, however it appears to be out of stock everywhere. I’ll upgrade when back in stock.

If I could still get a magic 3” extension instead of 5” I’d take it, but this is enough to work as a solution for me for now. It might be possible to use a little grinding with a flap wheel to nip a bit off of the bottom of the receiver collar to allow the rack to overlap the receiver a bit, but I’m going to ride with it this way for a bit and see how I feel.

Photos below:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 909E72F9-1DF8-48B3-8094-514F5DDA0A41
Thanks for the update! Setup looks much improved with the extender. Doesn't look too far out at all and the fact that you can open the hatch is a bonus. If you have time, so you mind sharing a close up photo of the extender in the Torkhitch itself? Thank you.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Thanks for the update! Setup looks much improved with the extender. Doesn't look too far out at all and the fact that you can open the hatch is a bonus. If you have time, so you mind sharing a close up photo of the extender in the Torkhitch itself? Thank you.

Here are a few pics of the extender seated in the hitch itself.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 5345CAC2-0834-4DFE-9E1F-1BE00DA8853E
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 33F7D432-0CEC-479B-BA27-90BE09BFD9F4

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
One more tip - the Kuat HLTxxx locking hitch pins are suggested for the Hi-Lo adapter, but don't actually work - the threaded shaft is much smaller diameter (12mm vs something bigger on the Hi-Lo). That was a disappointment.

HOWEVER - the actual lock that comes with the HLT kit fits on the Hi-Lo's original hitch pin, even though it doesn't seem like that was intended. So ultimately the HLT kit works, you just have to keep the original threaded hitch pin, and you'll be left with a useless too-small hitch pin...

But whatever, my setup is now complete and all of it is lockable. I'll live.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Im also interested to see your bike on the back. I have to use XL frames so my YT Izzo with 29" wheels is really big. I'm curious to see how much coverage the back of the mach e provides. When it's on the back of my fusion it's like a parachute behind my car. I literally lose 10mpg on the highway with my bike on the back.

I use a straight 6" extender.... when I take the rack off, the hitch receiver is tucked under to minimize view.

092 installed bike rack side.jpg

093 installed bike rack rear.jpg

095 with cover.jpg

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I use a straight 6" extender.... when I take the rack off, the hitch receiver is tucked under to minimize view.

092 installed bike rack side.jpg

093 installed bike rack rear.jpg

095 with cover.jpg
Nice yeti, pretty much looks the same size as my XL size Izzo with the wheels off the side of the car and bars over the roof. When you're on the highway do you find the bike is moving a lot at 70+mph? On my wife's old rogue that she had it was ok, but on my fusion (car vs suv though) it can really start to get crazy at highway speeds. Any kind of wind and I have to slow down to 55-60mph at the most.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Nice yeti, pretty much looks the same size as my XL size Izzo with the wheels off the side of the car and bars over the roof. When you're on the highway do you find the bike is moving a lot at 70+mph? On my wife's old rogue that she had it was ok, but on my fusion (car vs suv though) it can really start to get crazy at highway speeds. Any kind of wind and I have to slow down to 55-60mph at the most.
solid as a rock at highway speed+

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 095 with cover

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 095 with cover

What straight 6" extender do you have? Hitch is on order and if I need an extension, probably don't need much. I'm looking for the shortest available. I'm only seeing 7" and greater when shopping around.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
What straight 6" extender do you have? Hitch is on order and if I need an extension, probably don't need much. I'm looking for the shortest available. I'm only seeing 7" and greater when shopping around.
I think I just went down to the local Harbor freight... it was something like $20.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Thank you. Looks great. Really helpful. I think I can move forward with this setup for sure now. ??
i did not want the extender to result in less clearance as I go on some bumpy dirt roads for MTB trailheads sometimes...... I'd look for something straight, or goose-neck UP for more clearance.

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Whatever extender you get make sure it has a threaded hitch pin or other anti wobble device. If you use an extension meant for basic towing it will make your rack a lot less stable.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Whatever extender you get make sure it has a threaded hitch pin or other anti wobble device. If you use an extension meant for basic towing it will make your rack a lot less stable.
Yeah this is my main concern with these extenders

fredfaylona_mme

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 1998 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I just installed my Torklift Ecohitch, and my 1UP EquipD double bike rack. The fit is a little close for comfort. The hitch requests a minimum of 2" of insertion after the anti-wobble bearing, which doesn't work. At 1.5" of insertion, the rack is far enough out that it won't hit the car, but just barely. It is plenty far out with bikes on (even with 800mm bars), but in the closed position it is very snug. I'm sure they have a little safety factor in their 2" recommendation, but I don't love that I have to go out so far to get a solution that just barely fits. You can also tell that 1UP doesn't like this level of extension because the slot doesn't line up with the hitch pin hole, meaning it can't be locked to the vehicle like this.

I've ordered a Kuat Hi-Lo adapter, which gives up to 7" of extension, and 2" of rise or drop. Unlike straight-through adapters, however, it looks like in this case if I drop or raise the rack (probably drop), then I can probably slide the 1UP deeper, and get less than 7" of total extension. Ideally I'd have about 2-4" of extension. Dropping by 2" looks like it would be OK from a clearance perspective as long as you aren't on any really rough roads.

The hitch and rack themselves are great, both very high quality, I just wish the Torklift came with another 1-2" of extension, that would make it a perfect fit out of the box.

Is this a 'supported' add-on? Like would adding a hitch receiver break warranty?