Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Is this a 'supported' add-on? Like would adding a hitch receiver break warranty?
It is illegal for manufacturers to void your warranty due to a modification unless they can prove that your modification was the cause of the failure. In this case unless you cut the wires in your bumper or bend the rear frame supports or something then there is no way Ford can void your warranty.
Sponsored

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
A little bit of a mystical kingdom, like Camelot
Vehicles
Premium MME4X Iconic Silver
Country flag
I installed a Torklift hitch. See writeup here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...lift-hitch-for-bike-rack-etc.5714/post-233931

Then, it was time to see how tight a fit the 1UP Heavy Duty bike rack is in storage position on the MME. I slid the rack into the receiver until I could see the slot through the receiver hole, slid the locking hitch pin through the hole and then pulled the rack back against the pin before tightening. This gave me proper insertion of the rack with the maximum distance from the car. Then I pushed the rack up into storage position.

So, the answer is the fit is still VERY tight. There are only a few mm between the rack in storage position and the bumper (see photos). However, the rack is VERY stable. I pushed, rattled and shook the rack and could not get it to touch the bumper (or move at all). I've driven about 30 miles with the rack in storage position (various speeds and road conditions, including bumpy) and checked the rack after every drive and there is still a couple mm gap. I also checked the bumper and there are no scratches and no marks in the dust/dirt on the bumper where the rack might be touching.

So, it looks like I might get away with using it in storage position even though it's tight. That said, I'll probably end up getting a hitch extender and a threaded hitch pin.

With a bike loaded, there is good clearance between the bike and the car but the pedal on the car side has to be in a down position (see photos). This provides almost 3" of clearance from the car. With the pedal up, it would hit the hatch.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 1UP rack in storage position

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 1UP rack storage position close fit

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit 1UP rack storage position close fit close u

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Bike in 1UP rack

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Clearance between bike and car

OP
OP
phidauex

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I installed a Torklift hitch. See writeup here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...lift-hitch-for-bike-rack-etc.5714/post-233931

Then, it was time to see how tight a fit the 1UP Heavy Duty bike rack is in storage position on the MME. I slid the rack into the receiver until I could see the slot through the receiver hole, slid the locking hitch pin through the hole and then pulled the rack back against the pin before tightening. This gave me proper insertion of the rack with the maximum distance from the car. Then I pushed the rack up into storage position.

So, the answer is the fit is still VERY tight. There are only a few mm between the rack in storage position and the bumper (see photos). However, the rack is VERY stable. I pushed, rattled and shook the rack and could not get it to touch the bumper (or move at all). I've driven about 30 miles with the rack in storage position (various speeds and road conditions, including bumpy) and checked the rack after every drive and there is still a couple mm gap. I also checked the bumper and there are no scratches and no marks in the dust/dirt on the bumper where the rack might be touching.

So, it looks like I might get away with using it in storage position even though it's tight. That said, I'll probably end up getting a hitch extender and a threaded hitch pin.

With a bike loaded, there is good clearance between the bike and the car but the pedal on the car side has to be in a down position (see photos). This provides almost 3" of clearance from the car. With the pedal up, it would hit the hatch.
Thanks for the detailed update - at least the pin works in this case so it is "safe" if a bit snug. My kingdom for 2 more inches!

Reactions: SAM

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Clearance between bike and car

That's more room than the Equip D has on my Fusion so that's fine with me. When I close mine on the Fusion it actually just barely pushes against the rear bumper cover but it's never scratched it. So even a few mm of space is more than enough.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have this Kryptonite New-U Mini 7 U-Lock (7 inch) and realized i could use it to lock the 1UP rack to the hitch as an addition theft deterrent. I can install the locking hitch pin and still have enough clearance of the rack from the car, so I don't need to drive with the U-Lock installed and would just use this at trail heads. But, if you can't quite slide the rack in far enough to install the locking hitch pin and still have clearance from the bumper, the U-Lock may solve two issues: Locking the rack to the hitch and additional security against the hitch coming loose and falling off the car while driving (unlikely, but possible). Just another alternative if you don't want to use a hitch extender.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Kryptonite 1

Here's how much space is still available to slide the hitch out (maybe an inch and a half).
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Kryptonite 2

Can slide the lock over and it fits tightly. Could probably secure with some velcro to stop it moving/rattling if left on when driving.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Kryptonite 3

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Head's up - Torklift hitch and 1UP EquipD rack is a tight fit Kryptonite 3

Thanks - because of your posts and others this is probably the setup I am going to go with.

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E AWD ER; 2022 Lightning On Order
Country flag

Got the same setup as you now (forklift eco hitch + 1-up rack) and I wanted to add a comment on the pedal clearance. I concur on what you show, that you get several inches if the pedals are down and none if they are up (the pedals can hit the car).

I had an issue where I put the pedals down but while driving they slowly rotated up and started smacking the back of the car when I hit bumps. Fortunately the self-healing ceramic coating I have prevented any damage. My suggestions to folks if they get this setup and don't want an extender is to get a rope, string, Velcro piece, or something and secure/tie the pedal in the down position, on the side that's facing your car, to your bike's frame. I started doing this and now have no issues using the rack without an extender.

Speaking of extenders - I tried 1-up's anti-rattle, 7" hitch extender and it also worked well for fixing this issue but caused some concerns of its own. It's a good extender however it uses a screw in, lockable bolt to secure itself to the hitch (which I am sure is to help with the anti-rattle). The problem with this is you have to un-ratchet the screw every time you want to take the extender out. Having to deal with the extender bolt and lock and then the unique bike rack wrench and lock makes for a lot of time when trying to take your bike rack setup off.

The extender obvious sticks out pretty far too so if you try to drive around with the extender in and no rack you would quickly become the destroyer of shins for anyone trying to walk by your car or around it. So you have to take the extender out when you remove your bike rack and besides it taking a extra time to do so I am also not sure how good it is to keep unscrewing that bolt every time. I can imagine over the years the threads stripping as you have to tighten it down really well each time. These concerns are why I am no longer using the extender and am just going with the Velcro pedal tie down method.

Anyone those are my torklift hitch/1-up thoughts. Works well overall!

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I just installed my Torklift Ecohitch, and my 1UP EquipD double bike rack. The fit is a little close for comfort.

IMG_8816 copy.jpg

I never fold my rack up, I just take it off when not using it.....

I will say however that my pedals come VERY close to rear hatch. I have made a habit of rotating pedals such that the inner pedal is over the license plate, and then use a bungee to prevent crank/pedals from rotating on bumpy roads.

SAM

First Name
SAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got the same setup as you now (forklift eco hitch + 1-up rack) and I wanted to add a comment on the pedal clearance. I concur on what you show, that you get several inches if the pedals are down and none if they are up (the pedals can hit the car).

I had an issue where I put the pedals down but while driving they slowly rotated up and started smacking the back of the car when I hit bumps. Fortunately the self-healing ceramic coating I have prevented any damage. My suggestions to folks if they get this setup and don't want an extender is to get a rope, string, Velcro piece, or something and secure/tie the pedal in the down position, on the side that's facing your car, to your bike's frame. I started doing this and now have no issues using the rack without an extender.

Speaking of extenders - I tried 1-up's anti-rattle, 7" hitch extender and it also worked well for fixing this issue but caused some concerns of its own. It's a good extender however it uses a screw in, lockable bolt to secure itself to the hitch (which I am sure is to help with the anti-rattle). The problem with this is you have to un-ratchet the screw every time you want to take the extender out. Having to deal with the extender bolt and lock and then the unique bike rack wrench and lock makes for a lot of time when trying to take your bike rack setup off.

The extender obvious sticks out pretty far too so if you try to drive around with the extender in and no rack you would quickly become the destroyer of shins for anyone trying to walk by your car or around it. So you have to take the extender out when you remove your bike rack and besides it taking a extra time to do so I am also not sure how good it is to keep unscrewing that bolt every time. I can imagine over the years the threads stripping as you have to tighten it down really well each time. These concerns are why I am no longer using the extender and am just going with the Velcro pedal tie down method.

Anyone those are my torklift hitch/1-up thoughts. Works well overall!
I was worried about the cranks rotating up but so far hasn't happened to me. Good advice, though, and I will bungee the cranks in place if I drive out on some bumpy areas off road.

I drive with the rack up (storage position) and haven't used an extender. Clearance it very tight but the rack is very solid and does not move and hit the car. I use the rack at least twice a week, so don't really want to be taking it on and off all the time.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I know this thread is old. I just wanted to thank you all for documenting this. I'm looking at a setup very similar to these but with two electric bicycles at a combined weight of 150 pounds. The 1Up seems to be the heaviest duty rack I can find.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I know this thread is old. I just wanted to thank you all for documenting this. I'm looking at a setup very similar to these but with two electric bicycles at a combined weight of 150 pounds. The 1Up seems to be the heaviest duty rack I can find.

1up racks are very solid indeed... all metal, no plastic.
I generally run a lock cable thru bike frames and thru one of the hitch chain loops.... even if someone unbolts the rack, everything is still locked to the hitch.

jinda

First Name
yasir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Landcruiser
Occupation
SEO expert
Country flag
I installed Hitch Tom Tuff Bike Rack and it proved a a best fit for me. This is also an excellent bike rack with a nice design. It is comfort to use and you can easily install it.

Last edited:

Cavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw x1
Country flag

I use a velcro strap on the crank to make sure it stays down so the pedal does not scratch the car

TSchaaf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium ER AWD Infinite Blue
Country flag
just got the Torklift hitch installed, and was planning to get the Kuat NV2.0 bike rack this week. It looks like a great rack, but I'd love to hear if anyone has installed that combination?

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I have the Kuat Sherpa and really like it. I was wondering what the cleance would be like with the Torklift.
Sponsored