Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Duly noted. I misunderstood the intent and as a result, my responses are overly harsh -- my apologies.

I guess mine doesn't work properly. During daytime driving, if I put the set temperature at 77 degrees F, where I think I'd be adequately comfortable (*), it lowers the fan speed so much that it'll never come anywhere close to reaching that temperature during my drive, even for a 30+ minute drive. At this time of year, I also ensure the cold air is blowing directly at my face.

So I set it lower and lower in order to make the fan speed increase. Mind you, this is on Auto-3 -- I would have thought Auto-3 would already maximize fan speed when it's way over 100F inside the cabin, but on my vehicle, it does not. On SYNC 4A, it's much easier for me to lower or raise the set temp than to override fan speed.

For some reason when it's fully night time, then the set temperature works as I'd expect... It gets properly cool and quite fast. But in daytime, it's not increasing fan speed enough unless I set the temp way below where I want it.

My 2014 Ford Fiesta's automate climate control was easier to use and, with multiple vents aimed at my face, it worked significantly better during summertime than the 2021 Mach-E's.

(*) It's 80F inside my house.
I have my house set to around 77F which is comfortable enough without excessive guilt for wasting energy. (Still some guilt though...)

74F in the car is where I feel most comfortable so I presume it never really gets that cold because if it did then I would feel like I was freezing compared to being outside. I guess I could take a thermometer with me and see what the temp actually is while driving around. That would be interesting.

In Auto 3, my car will activate Max A/C automatically and bring down the temps fairly quick. I think it also will recirculate when the temp drops below ambient on its own, but I dont know how long it will hold that blend door closed?

Through the seasons, the only adjustment to the climate that I make is selecting between the 3 Auto levels. 3 in summer. 1 in winter and 2 in spring and fall.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I have my house set to around 77F which is comfortable enough without excessive guilt for wasting energy. (Still some guilt though...)
I hear ya. I lower mine when needed, all the way down to 76 at times... Especially if I'm coming in from doing yard work. It's brutally hot outside. 80F is for when I'm basically sitting still with a cold drink nearby, like right now as I type this to you. ;)

In Auto 3, my car will activate Max A/C automatically and bring down the temps fairly quick. I think it also will recirculate when the temp drops below ambient on its own, but I dont know how long it will hold that blend door closed?

Through the seasons, the only adjustment to the climate that I make is selecting between the 3 Auto levels. 3 in summer. 1 in winter and 2 in spring and fall.
Ford may have changed something in the vehicle's programming with regards to air recirculation. Mine used to seemingly have a mind of its own, turning on recirc, or more often turning off recirc, when I hadn't asked it to.

Now when I start the car, recirc is off (as it is on any modern Ford with digital controls). After a few minutes of driving, when silly SYNC has finished booting and rebooting and whatever it seems to do, then I go and turn on recirc. And it stays on for the duration of the drive.

The only time I've seen the system go to Max A/C (which includes enabling recirc) on its own is when I use remote start, which I rarely ever do.

If I change the Auto 1/2/3 mode, this used to turn off recirc. It's one of the reasons I just use the temp +/- buttons instead. I haven't retested that so maybe it doesn't do that anymore. Not sure.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I hear ya. I lower mine when needed, all the way down to 76 at times... Especially if I'm coming in from doing yard work. It's brutally hot outside. 80F is for when I'm basically sitting still with a cold drink nearby, like right now as I type this to you. ;)

Ford may have changed something in the vehicle's programming with regards to air recirculation. Mine used to seemingly have a mind of its own, turning on recirc, or more often turning off recirc, when I hadn't asked it to.

Now when I start the car, recirc is off (as it is on any modern Ford with digital controls). After a few minutes of driving, when silly SYNC has finished booting and rebooting and whatever it seems to do, then I go and turn on recirc. And it stays on for the duration of the drive.

The only time I've seen the system go to Max A/C (which includes enabling recirc) on its own is when I use remote start, which I rarely ever do.

If I change the Auto 1/2/3 mode, this used to turn off recirc. It's one of the reasons I just use the temp +/- buttons instead. I haven't retested that so maybe it doesn't do that anymore. Not sure.
Too bad all our cars don't operate the same. My brothers and I frequently comment about irregularities between our vehicles. Used to be just our spouses with that characteristic but now our vehicles share that same distinction. :)

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
  • Drive conservatively, using less regen is advised in hot weather to reduce pack heating (Whisper mode uses less regen).
Today my car had to be parked outside and it was 108F out. I had remote-started the car to go to the grocery store and when I got in and was ready to drive, the car defaulted itself to Engage and wouldn't let me change it.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Today my car had to be parked outside and it was 108F out. I had remote-started the car to go to the grocery store and when I got in and was ready to drive, the car defaulted itself to Engage and wouldn't let me change it.
Sounds like the Drive Modes Unavailable issue that I too experience each summer. Not 100% sure, but I think air conditioning and max motor power are also reduced.

You'll get your drive modes back on the next key cycle.

CarDreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER Premium 2022
Country flag
Im kinda concerned about the heat wave this week. I know the car will be fine, but ugh. I have to park outside right now for work and the shading is hit or miss.

dougni

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 California Route 1 RWD Ext (Job 1)
Country flag
Sounds like the Drive Modes Unavailable issue that I too experience each summer. Not 100% sure, but I think air conditioning and max motor power are also reduced.

You'll get your drive modes back on the next key cycle.
Oh yeah, it already did. I thought it was just because it was too hot. Never had that issue before. And the past couple of days I got the "it's too hot, please plug me in" message.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Oh yeah, it already did. I thought it was just because it was too hot. Never had that issue before. And the past couple of days I got the "it's too hot, please plug me in" message.
I think you're right -- that it's happening because something is too hot. I wish I knew more specifically what it was, but so far Ford has been mum about it.

ElectrifyCLT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT- Dark Matter Grey
Country flag
Ford Mobile Charger issues have not been linked to high temperatures.
Maximum operating temperature for the mobile charger is 120F. Given many unconditioned enclosed garages (or pavement if charging outside) will exceed that temperature with radiant heat, those in the hottest areas could more likely see issues due to being above the rating operating window (and many have seen overheating limits in much lower temps, but unrelated to what's being discussed here.)

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Hello, new MME owner here. This is such an interesting discussion, brought up something I hadn’t considered.

Darksaber is currently being transported to me in South Florida, where it will live in my west facing, non-ventilated garage. It gets hot in there, and I can’t leave the garage door open overnight to cool down. I don’t have anything other than a standard 110v outlet there yet, and plan on charging during the day at my workplace. They provide free charging in a covered parking garage, and they just doubled the number of charging outlets (powered by solar panels). Should I plug Darksaber into the 110v outlet upon arrival at home, to allow it to keep the battery cool in the garage?

Thank you,
Elle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach-Lee

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Hello, new MME owner here. This is such an interesting discussion, brought up something I hadn’t considered.

Darksaber is currently being transported to me in South Florida, where it will live in my west facing, non-ventilated garage. It gets hot in there, and I can’t leave the garage door open overnight to cool down. I don’t have anything other than a standard 110v outlet there yet, and plan on charging during the day at my workplace. They provide free charging in a covered parking garage, and they just doubled the number of charging outlets (powered by solar panels). Should I plug Darksaber into the 110v outlet upon arrival at home, to allow it to keep the battery cool in the garage?

Thank you,
Elle
110V charging is so slow (3 mi/hr) I don’t see that heating the battery. It’s basically trickle charging. You will need to be charging pretty much all the time on 110V to get enough range unless your commute is short. 110V also won’t really provide enough power for cooling, but you can try plugging in.

You may consider adding an exhaust fan to your garage. Insulating the garage door also helps if the sun shines on it.

tfitzgex

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium extended range AWD
Country flag
Yeah, a heat wave would be nice here, or at the very least stop raining...

ElleD

First Name
Elle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium SR RWD; 2010 Subaru Outback
Country flag
As most of the US will be baked with a heat wave of 100ÂşF+ temps in the next few days, it's important to remember a few tips for battery health:
  • Set a charge schedule so your car only charges at night (10 PM - 8 AM recommended), do not charge during the heat of the day.
. . . .
  • Plug in as soon as you arrive at your destination so the battery pack can cool itself with shore power if necessary.
. . . .
  • Consider reducing your EVSE charge rate setting to 32A or less to reduce charger heat load if you desire less fan noise or have charging errors.
. . . .
High temperatures of greater than 40ÂşC/104ÂşF can degrade the lithium battery pack, especially if it is accepting charge (charging or regen). The Mach-E pack is liquid cooled, with an integrated chiller that uses the A/C compressor. Both the cabin and the pack are cooled by the A/C compressor. Plugging in allows the pack to be cooled with shore power when parked, it will not cool itself while the car is parked unplugged (to avoid draining the battery).

. . . . . .
I will look into ventilating my garage, but that isn't going to happen in the next day or two (car is scheduled to arrive then - was an unplanned purchase when I started to have problems with my 2010 Subaru Outback). I'm really just concerned about keeping the battery pack sufficiently cool in my hot garage, hoping the 110v outlet will provide sufficient power for that task. From your answer above, it sounds like it won't. I'll give it a try and schedule EVSE installation if 110v isn't enough for cooling the battery (and look more closely at EVSE recommendations here).

I was hoping to put EVSE installation off for a bit because I'll be able to charge at my workplace in a covered ramp garage, as long as I get to work early enough to plug in. The ramp garage stays much cooler than parking a car under the South Florida sun, so alone is strong motivation for to get up earlier and get a parking spot there! And hopefully it will be cool enough to be safe to use the level 2 chargers at work during the day.

Thanks,
Elle

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Thank you,
Elle
I recommend that you plug into 120V even at home. That way you can set a departure time so the car will pre-condition the cabin AND the HVB. If you have free charging at work, then set a departure time for when you get off work as well. Do those two things and you will be totally fine. Especially if you have the larger battery.

I believe you have to save your charge locations in order for the departure times to work.....I could be wrong though. Hard to remember the vehicle specific details sometimes....
Sponsored