Heated garage

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
So I live in a relatively cold climate and have been wanting to heat my garage for years.

Now seems like as good a time as any, and I'm sure it will be nice for my fancy new car to be toasty warm (okay maybe 50F) during the winters.

Just curious what types of heaters people have in their garages.

I'm planning on getting a Dr. Infrared DR-975 heater. I'll probably loosely insulate the non-common walls with batts and put cellulose in the attic.

Anyone have experience with a project like this?
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So I live in a relatively cold climate and have been wanting to heat my garage for years.

Now seems like as good a time as any, and I'm sure it will be nice for my fancy new car to be toasty warm (okay maybe 50F) during the winters.

I'm planning on getting a Dr. Infrared DR-975 heater. I'll probably loosely insulate the non-common walls with batts and put cellulose in the attic.

When I bought my house, the garage included a Rinnai gas heater and finished walls. The inspector said to me, "don't use this very often." I'm not even sure it works any longer. But I've never really missed it, either - the current garage door is an R-13 and the garage never gets below about 40 deg. F.

I've just ordered a new garage door the other day (didn't have any choice, current one is near structural failure apparently), and it's going to be an R-18, so I expect I will care event less about the heater. I feel like that's a better use of the funds. But of course that might change.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
When we built the house, the gas company would give you gas logs and a garage heater for free. We have one of those radiant gas heaters. My garage is fully insulated and I keep it at about 55 except when I want to do any work out there. Love having a heated garage.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
I bought a ceiling mount heater with a fan like this one. There was a baseboard heater before but i pulled back the wire to give me wall space and widen the garage slightly. You can get these in different wattages for room size and 240v.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Heated garage 1608958338600

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
I bought a ceiling mount heater with a fan like this one. There was a baseboard heater before but i pulled back the wire to give me wall space and widen the garage slightly. You can get these in different wattages for room size and 240v.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Heated garage 1608958338600
I have 2 similar ones in my garage (30x30') and they work great

I generally keep my garage at 8C. And I have a dissecant dehumidifier, that keeps the garage dry!

Lucky luke

First Name
Luc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select RWD
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

Can't you use an electric heater? You charge the Mach-e for free at the wallbox from your office and use the battery for your heater ?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
Just having a garage will help with the mache staying warm. We have one vent into our garage for heat but usually, close it as it cost more to heat than hours spent in the garage. Portable heaters when needed work great.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I was born in New York City and suffered winters as any other New Yorker walking to school under heavy snow and very cold winds, down to 10 F.. My family moved to Puerto Rico in 1962, and since then I love my environment. We have no "winters" nor "fall", just spring and summer. Right now we are in "spring" with 85 degree weather.

So if you want to save money from heating and other winter conditions, move south and avoid all of that. I had 58 years of almost perfect weather every day! My previous cars lasted between twenty and twenty-six years, so I have saved from buying cars. An EV is perfect to save even more.

If you continue to post about cold weather and heating needs, just move.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Ah ah for my part I love my winters...skiing, snowshoeing and just the basic changes of seasons is fun for me

I would never complain about cold!!!

OP
OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I was born in New York City and suffered winters as any other New Yorker walking to school under heavy snow and very cold winds, down to 10 F.. My family moved to Puerto Rico in 1962, and since then I love my environment. We have no "winters" nor "fall", just spring and summer. Right now we are in "spring" with 85 degree weather.

So if you want to save money from heating and other winter conditions, move south and avoid all of that. I had 58 years of almost perfect weather every day! My previous cars lasted between twenty and twenty-six years, so I have saved from buying cars. An EV is perfect to save even more.

Excellent idea! The plan is to eventually move back to Hawaii, but the savings on heat doesn't quite offset the cost of living.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

Rainy season and not rainy season. Those are our real seasons out here. The rest are just dates on a calendar.