Heated Steering Wheel Seems to Fade After Several Minutes?

Brutakus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Select AWD Comfort/Tech Package
Country flag
Looking at the numbers I think it just feels like it tapers off more because it heats to above body temp and then lowers and holds just below body temp. Just a guess
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
My heated steering wheel is pretty weak, and cools off fairly quickly even with the button “on”. It seems to work but not very warm. Comparing to my fiancés XC-40 which has 3 heat settings, mine might be about as strong as the Volvo’s weakest setting. I guess I don’t really care and don’t use that often, but it’s hard to tell if it’s working correctly or not.
My wife also has an XC40, and the highest setting can get pretty hot; although it’s the setting I prefer when it’s really cold, as I have Raynaud’s Syndrome, which means my hands are often cold.

Your evaluation leads me to believe that due to my hand condition, I probably won’t be satisfied with the temperature of my Mach-E, when I eventually take delivery. I suppose it’s preferable to my Mini, which doesn’t have a heated steering wheel at all!

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I have owned 4 cars now with a heated steering wheel. Two Fords, a BMW, and a Toyota. They all start off warm and taper off after a few minutes.
There is a thermostat on heated all steering wheels.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this? Normal operation of a heated steering wheel or worth mentioning to the service department?
There is probably a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot. If your hands are keeping one part of the wheel cold, another part where the thermostat is might still be getting hot... Probably has some sort of cycle loop too as the element may be more binary on/off and not variable, so if you notice it getting cool you could try turning it off and back on. That would probably force the heating element back on sooner for awhile.

Reactions: ARK

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It works exactly like every heated steering wheel I’ve used, which is like 3. Super hot at first, then thermostat brings it to around body temp so it’s comfortable but not scorching.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My wife also has an XC40, and the highest setting can get pretty hot; although it’s the setting I prefer when it’s really cold, as I have Raynaud’s Syndrome, which means my hands are often cold.

Your evaluation leads me to believe that due to my hand condition, I probably won’t be satisfied with the temperature of my Mach-E, when I eventually take delivery. I suppose it’s preferable to my Mini, which doesn’t have a heated steering wheel at all!
It could just be mine that doesn’t get quite as hot as a normal one. I will check with a thermal camera to see if it runs as hot as the temps in the previous posts. The volvo makes me sweat when it’s on full blast though, but would be nice when it’s really cold out. I only tried it once or twice in the volvo and it was still relatively warm when I tried it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag

I have Raynaud’s and I find the MME heated steering wheel completely adequate. I know there are varying degrees of Raynaud’s, so YMMV.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have Raynaud’s and I find the MME heated steering wheel completely adequate. I know there are varying degrees of Raynaud’s, so YMMV.
Thanks, that’s encouraging. You’re right—my (dominant) left hand has it worse than my right.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag

I have Raynaud's as well. This is my first car with a heated steering wheel, and it is a massive improvement over no heated wheel. My hands felt slightly chilly at the end of my coldest drive so far (high teens/low 20s), but I have yet to have any cadaver-grey digits when I got home.

To me, the final temp feels similar to my wife's Acadia, but the initial spike is higher on the MME.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have Raynaud's as well. This is my first car with a heated steering wheel, and it is a massive improvement over no heated wheel. My hands felt slightly chilly at the end of my coldest drive so far (high teens/low 20s), but I have yet to have any cadaver-grey digits when I got home.

To me, the final temp feels similar to my wife's Acadia, but the initial spike is higher on the MME.
I HATE when they go white/gray! ?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I HATE when they go white/gray! ?
Mine has actually improved in the last 10 years. It used to be 20 minutes at 20F with three pair of the warmest gloves I could find would result in white digits and horrible pain as they warmed back up. Last week I spent an hour shoveling snow with temps in the teens with only minor discomfort. I credit my bourbon habit. ?

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Mine has actually improved in the last 10 years. It used to be 20 minutes at 20F with three pair of the warmest gloves I could find would result in white digits and horrible pain as they warmed back up. Last week I spent an hour shoveling snow with temps in the teens with only minor discomfort. I credit my bourbon habit. ?
Whatever works!

Worst for me was riding my bicycle down a steep hill at 40mph in August, and my Raynaud’s kicked in on my left hand. I yelled, “It’s flippin’ AUGUST!” Now I wear long fingered gloves anytime the temps dip below 65°…

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Whatever works!

Worst for me was riding my bicycle down a steep hill at 40mph in August, and my Raynaud’s kicked in on my left hand. I yelled, “It’s flippin’ AUGUST!” Now I wear long fingered gloves anytime the temps dip below 65°…
Vibration will trigger me sometimes. I avoid using a chainsaw any more if I can. I wonder if that contributed to your bicycle incident?

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Vibration will trigger me sometimes. I avoid using a chainsaw any more if I can. I wonder if that contributed to your bicycle incident?
I don’t think so, as my road bike is very stable and without vibration at high speed. It was just the wind from descending at speed that chilled my hand enough to kick it in.

Even just sitting at my computer with my hand on the mouse will set it off. But I’ve come up with strategies to counter it. After trying a heated pad on my desk, which didn’t work, I now hover the head of a halogen desk lamp about 8” over my mouse hand, and it works!
Sponsored