Heated Steering Wheel - Too Hot or Just Mine?

ziptbm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME GT & '22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Does anyone else think the heated steering wheel gets too hot to touch too quickly? Or is it just mine?

I got my '22 MME GT in April, so while I tested everything I could at delivery, I didn't use each feature for extended periods of time. I had a '21 MME Premium AWD that I got last winter and don't recall every thinking, "wow, this steering wheel is unbearable to touch." I sold the 21 in Aug, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison now.

After picking up an F150 Lightning and driving both vehicles on the same 90 mile roundtrip routes, the level of steering wheel heat is drastically different between the two vehicles. I had the feature on the entire drive in the Lightning, but I had to turn it off after 15-30 minutes in the Mach-E. Outside temps were roughly the same on both drives. So, now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my heated steering wheel, but I really don't want to waste my time taking it to the dealer if I don't have to.

And before anyone suggests the most obvious workaround - yes, I know "too hot" is subjective and I can turn it off when I want to.

Anyone else experiencing any issues with their heated steering wheels?
Sponsored

njb

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red 2023 GT
Country flag
The heated steering wheel is one thing I leave on in both of my cars. I do notice on longer drives in my explorer that it gets hotter at times. I believe it's just cycling through to temp, turn off until it reaches lower limit and then turns back on. But the hottest temp isn't too hot to want to touch, it's just noticeably warmer. I have not driven the MachE for 30+ minutes at a time to notice the same cycling really, but I have never had to turn off the steering wheel because it's too warm. I frequently turn the seats down or off though.

Jeffvisor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine gets hot but I like it. I had many cars with heated steering wheel and this by far the hottest one. You dont need gloves in the winter with this steering wheel just move your hands around to new hot areas. I am not complaining I like it.

ddr24

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Expedition, 2023 MachE GTPE
Country flag
I'm borderline Raynaud's so you'll never find me complaining about a too hot steering wheel. I have an Expedition as well and I don't *think* the MME wheel is much different in temp. We *could* talk about the 3 setting on the heated seats that leaves my a** on fire. :)

glenthompson

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT Star White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine is too warm for me for long term use but welcome when starting out in a cold car. Same thing with the seat heaters. I will use them on low for a few miles but have to turn it off. My wife leaves her’s on continuously.

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Yeah, I think it might be a little too hot, but you can easily turn it off.

MachEMaster

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 GMC Yukon GT
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
Country flag
Mine doesn't get hot enough.

machefan22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E 4X, 2003 Roush Mustang Convertible
Country flag
I noticed when I turn mine on, after a few minutes it does get much warmer than I'd prefer, but after a few more minutes, it regulates down to the perfect temperature for me. I just leave it on all the time now through the winter and enjoy the convenience.

Bayviews88

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Rte1 RWD, Space White
Country flag
Does anyone else think the heated steering wheel gets too hot to touch too quickly? Or is it just mine?

I got my '22 MME GT in April, so while I tested everything I could at delivery, I didn't use each feature for extended periods of time. I had a '21 MME Premium AWD that I got last winter and don't recall every thinking, "wow, this steering wheel is unbearable to touch." I sold the 21 in Aug, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison now.

After picking up an F150 Lightning and driving both vehicles on the same 90 mile roundtrip routes, the level of steering wheel heat is drastically different between the two vehicles. I had the feature on the entire drive in the Lightning, but I had to turn it off after 15-30 minutes in the Mach-E. Outside temps were roughly the same on both drives. So, now I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my heated steering wheel, but I really don't want to waste my time taking it to the dealer if I don't have to.

And before anyone suggests the most obvious workaround - yes, I know "too hot" is subjective and I can turn it off when I want to.

Anyone else experiencing any issues with their heated steering wheels?
I’ve been driving a 2022 CA RT1 since September 2022, and I noticed something peculiar about the steering wheel. It wasn’t until I pulled my 2021 Select out of hibernation last month to return it to Ford, that I noticed the 2021 steering wheel felt like it had a thicker, denser foam, so when the heated steering wheel was turned on it felt like a perfect temperature.

By contrast, when I went back to driving the 2022 CA RT1 that steering wheel felt thinner, presumably with less foam under the “vegan leather”. The 2022 heated wheel feels a lot hotter to me.

I’m not sure if it’s your imagination or mine, as I think the steering wheels are slightly different between model years. A huge caveat: I don’t know if this applies to the premium and GT trims.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Last edited:

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Actually, I would prefer mine to stay really hot all the time its on or have different heat levels.

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
I had a Fiesta with a heated wheel as a courtesy car, one section of the wheel was unbearably hot whereas the rest was a nice temperature. I'm sure no two wheels are alike after driving that car.

Mini166

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. RWD/SR,Lexus RX350, Dodge Ram Eco-Diesel
Country flag
I'm borderline Raynaud's so you'll never find me complaining about a too hot steering wheel. I have an Expedition as well and I don't *think* the MME wheel is much different in temp. We *could* talk about the 3 setting on the heated seats that leaves my a** on fire. :)
Shout out to the annoying Raynaud's. Me too!!!

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
Mine is too hot for me long term, but I love it when I'm first starting on a cold day. I have to turn it off after about 3 minutes. As much as I don't want Yet Another Setting.... I'd like yet another setting
Sponsored