Help me calm down after another service screw up...

nodnarb1014

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext. Range
Country flag
Finally got my Mach E back from the dealership after 2 weeks for the windshield/panoramic roof recall, Blue Cruise update, and a half axle replacement. Noticed shortly after getting it back that the wiper fluid wasn't coming out, but it was working fine before taking it in for service. In fact, I had topped off the reservoir only a couple weeks before taking it in for service, so it shouldn't have been low, let alone empty. There were a couple other issues that needed to be addressed post-service (squeaky driver's door handle, missing locking lug key), so the dealer had to take it back in and I mentioned the issue with the wiper fluid to them. The service tech said the wiper fluid should have been topped off and that he'd make sure it was topped off this time. I got the car back today, since it's going to take a while for the new driver's handle to come in.

So, this evening, I try to clean the windshield and the wiper fluid still isn't coming out. I try holding the lever back for a while thinking that the pump may need to prime itself or something like that. After a while, the "Low Wiper Fluid" warning comes on. Huge red flag. So, I pull over and have my wife hold the handle back while I look under the vehicle and see that wiper fluid is spilling out from under the frunk. I then take off the center cover in the frunk and discover that someone in the service department had disconnected the hose for the wiper fluid and never reconnected it, so wiper fluid was just spraying all over the motor, battery, and whatever else is in the compartment behind the frunk storage area.

I reconnected the wiper fluid hose, but should I be concerned about any damage to the electrical components in that area? Does anyone know if those parts are water-tight? I've already emailed the dealership, but likely won't hear back until Monday, so I was just hoping someone on here could put my fears to rest until then. Did the dealership just cause major damage to my Mach E, or am I just overly concerned? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
To thread starter... sorry for the pain that your Ford dealer is causing you.

Side note... the chill looking guy in the massive joint pic must be the same chill/take your damn time guy that's in charge of hitting the OTA button for owners to get their updates.

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Your MME will be fine. Most everything in there has a weatherpack style connector on it. In winter driving I've had snow get into the area above the bottom panel of the car and of course it turns all wet in that compartment. Sorry for your dealership pain. For me the visits to the dealership are always hit or miss. They fix one thing and mess up another, or two. Be proud of yourself for having the chops to fix the problem on your own, and enjoy the ride!

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Dude… it’s a washer fluid hose. They come off sometimes. And yes, your car was meant to get wet.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
@nodnarb1014, mention it to the dealer when you go back in. That was a mistake on their part. Twice. But don’t dwell on it nor fret over it. @Murse-In-Airy is 100% correct.

Reactions: ARK

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Dude… it’s a washer fluid hose. They come off sometimes. And yes, your car was meant to get wet.
Never had one come off on any new or used car over the last 25 years so I don't know what you're talking about that "they come off" Have some sensitivity, he's venting and is genuinely concerned. And... His dealership sucks.

I'm sure your attitude helps him remain calm.

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Jeep Gladiator "Willys"
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
If the dealer did it, make them clean up the mess. I think washer fluid dries clear so you can also just wait. Any connectors that matter are water resistant or water proof so I don't think you need to worry.

It's crappy service and I'd definitely bring it to their attention. I don't believe the hose fell off on its own.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Never had one come off on any new or used car over the last 25 years so I don't know what you're talking about that "they come off" Have some sensitivity, he's venting and is genuinely concerned. And... His dealership sucks.

I'm sure your attitude helps him remain calm.
Dude… it’s a washer fluid hose. They come off sometimes when they are hidden just under the covers that hide the area around the frunk. Those covers are a real a PIA and things can get pinched or knocked loose. Several of us have had it come loose inside rhe car where it transitions up the a pillar to the back window. Usually after a dealer “fix.”

I tried taking my car back to the dealer when the a pillar trim wasn’t fit back on appropriately. They spent an hour trying to fit it, decided it must be broken. Ordered a new one and sent me back home with it still misaligned. Instead I read the right way to replace it on here and had it fixed in 10 minutes. Almost ALL dealers suck. Sorry yours is one them.

FIFY

Last edited:
OP
OP

nodnarb1014

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext. Range
Country flag
That’s pretty lame Ford dealer

When I need to calm down One of the methods pictured below generally works fine

Jes sayin.

EE43B8D0-7519-4DF2-9AB0-221DB578CA06.png
EE43B8D0-7519-4DF2-9AB0-221DB578CA06.png
Dude… it’s a washer fluid hose. They come off sometimes when they are hidden just under the covers that hide the area around the frunk. Those covers are a real a PIA and things can get pinched or knocked loose. Several of us have had it come loose inside rhe car where it transitions up the a pillar to the back window. Usually after a dealer “fix.”

I tried taking my car back to the dealer when the a pillar trim wasn’t fit back on appropriately. They spent an hour trying to fit it, decided it must be broken. Ordered a new one and sent me back home with it still misaligned. Instead I read the right way to replace it on here and had it fixed in 10 minutes. Almost ALL dealers suck. Sorry yours is one them.

FIFY
Thanks for all the helpful, reassuring comments. I know it's "just a washer fluid hose" and if this were an ICE vehicle, I wouldn't have been remotely concerned. But, like most of us, this is my first electric vehicle, and my main concern was liquid of any kind, washer fluid or other, coming into contact with vital electrical components, as this compartment seemed to be designed to not allow water to enter. I wasn't really concerned about the mess, just the potential for liquid damage.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Thanks for all the helpful, reassuring comments. I know it's "just a washer fluid hose" and if this were an ICE vehicle, I wouldn't have been remotely concerned. But, like most of us, this is my first electric vehicle, and my main concern was liquid of any kind, washer fluid or other, coming into contact with vital electrical components, as this compartment seemed to be designed to not allow water to enter. I wasn't really concerned about the mess, just the potential for liquid damage.
Understandable then. That is actually an exterior compartment. The whole area tends to fill with snow from underneath. The covers make it look contained but it’s open to the elements at all times. If anything, the underside cover collects water and snow while the upper covers decreases the chance for evaporation.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
So there were other posters who mentioned this happening on their back wiper washer hose. Because it got disconnected inside the left side trim panel on the inside of the car, and washer fluid was flowing out of the side vents in the cargo area...this just after the glass work recalls.

I'm pretty sure there's a connection to the recall reassembly steps that may be responsible. I'd rather have the fluid pumping outside the cabin than in.

Got any missing frunk panel clips or did they put all those back on? Usually I come up missing a couple.

Mike

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Easy fix and no harm done.
Sponsored