Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I have a GT PE arriving next month (sometime between 11/5 and 11/11) according to Ford. My wife and I are going to be heading to Los Angeles to see her mom for Thanksgiving and want people's feedback on my plan.

We live outside of Denver and I'm planning on getting a set of wheels and winter tires to keep the car on the road when it snows - which can be anytime between September and late May, though we did have snow on 4th of July a long time ago. For this long trip to Los Angeles I have this nagging fear that if I cut a tire or have an issue, I'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere and screwed. So, I'm thinking of buying 5 tires and wheels and carrying the spare in the back of the car for the trip. I'd be ok if just here in the Denver area, but not when a far way away. It's a lot of coin to spend, but the ability to recover and keep going makes sense to me.

The forum crowd here usually has some great logic and experience. What are your thoughts on this? I'm leaning towards the Blizzak LM001
Bridgestone Blizzak LM001 | 245/45R20 (tirerack.com)

And, Savina BM 13 wheels
Savini Black di Forza BM13 Gloss Black Painted (tirerack.com)
Sponsored

jennq

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S/3/Y, Mach e GTP, Canoo/Lightning/R1S Resy
Country flag
Wheels look nice! I don't know anything about snow tires, but after owning a Tesla for 6 years, I have learned to buy tires that help reduce road noise. So make sure to look into that when you choose them

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
IMO, you should ensure that spare tire is securely, uh secured. In an accident, that thing could be deadly flying up from the rear of the vehicle.

dssdmddmd

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a GT PE arriving next month (sometime between 11/5 and 11/11) according to Ford. My wife and I are going to be heading to Los Angeles to see her mom for Thanksgiving and want people's feedback on my plan.

We live outside of Denver and I'm planning on getting a set of wheels and winter tires to keep the car on the road when it snows - which can be anytime between September and late May, though we did have snow on 4th of July a long time ago. For this long trip to Los Angeles I have this nagging fear that if I cut a tire or have an issue, I'll be stuck in the middle of nowhere and screwed. So, I'm thinking of buying 5 tires and wheels and carrying the spare in the back of the car for the trip. I'd be ok if just here in the Denver area, but not when a far way away. It's a lot of coin to spend, but the ability to recover and keep going makes sense to me.

The forum crowd here usually has some great logic and experience. What are your thoughts on this? I'm leaning towards the Blizzak LM001

And, Savina BM 13 wheels
Savini Black di Forza BM13 Gloss Black Painted (tirerack.com)
I went with a Michelin Alpin Pilot 5 SUV. Pricy, but highly rated, except cost less at at Costco, with a sale. Loose tire not a great idea. I am signed with AAA, and my USAA insurance includes roadside. Safer than a loose tire. and between them I feel OK for changing a tire.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand your worries but what are the chances that a tire get's a cut or a puncture that the flat repair kit won't be able to handle ? Would'nt there be repair shops on your way ? Why don't get a small spare tire instead, it would be lighter(autonomy) and you will also need to by a jack to lift the car.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I grew up in the Denver area and went to college in L.A. I have done the Colorado/Cali drive many times in many different months, most recently just this July. I donā€™t have to tell you to expect the unexpected! We had to detour through Wyoming this time because of the Glenwood Canyon mudslides closing down I70. If you can afford it, Iā€™d get the extra wheel.

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I understand your worries but what are the chances that a tire get's a cut or a puncture that the flat repair kit won't be able to handle ? Would'nt there be repair shops on your way ? Why don't get a small spare tire instead, it would be lighter(autonomy) and you will also need to by a jack to lift the car.
Iā€™ve done this same route many times, and there are at least two stretches that have signs warning ā€œabsolutely no services for the next 100 miles.ā€

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
I grew up in the Denver area and went to college in L.A. I have done the Colorado/Cali drive many times in many different months, most recently just this July. I donā€™t have to tell you to expect the unexpected! We had to detour through Wyoming this time because of the Glenwood Canyon mudslides closing down I70. If you can afford it, Iā€™d get the extra wheel.
My wife and I went to college in LA also - her at UCLA, me at Occidental. That drive can be interesting.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
As stated, you'd need to secure the tire in the rear. It would take a big bite out of your luggage space, and smell nice and rubbery the entire trip.

If you're going to do that (I think it's unnecessary), then I'd buy tires from a place like Discount Tire, which offers a warranty for replacement, after ensuring that my route was peppered with their stores.

Keep in mind that Ford gives you 5 years of free towing to the nearest Ford dealership.

If you are going to buy a spare, then you should buy the least expensive rim and temporary tire, not spend money on a 5th wheel and tire that you're not going to rotate anyway. And you'll need to buy a proper jack for the vehicle as it doesn't come with one (unless you're going to expect that Ford will change it for you on the road).

Of course that 1,025 mile drive that looks like 15 1/2 hours of driving is really more like 20+ hours with charging stops. A good rule of thumb is to add 30% to any planned route for charging. However, if you lose capacity due to cold (up to 40% in dead of winter), then you'll be adding a bunch more stops.

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
For the winter tires, Blizzaks are fine (I had Blizzak DM-v3 on my previous car) but I went back with Nokian Hakkapelita R3 SUV ( Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV - Winter tires / Nokian Tires ) for the Mach-E which have rated a bit better than Blizzaks. See Top 10 : Best Winter Tires for Cars and Small SUVs, 2020-2021 - The Car Guide (guideautoweb.com)
I am concerned that the load rating on these is a 99. The default for the tires provided on these cars is a 103. That seems a bit iffy to handle the weight.

unhandled

First Name
Mathieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I am concerned that the load rating on these is a 99. The default for the tires provided on these cars is a 103. That seems a bit iffy to handle the weight.
If you look at the product page link I shared from Nokian's site, the R3 SUV there are 20" that are rated at 103 and above. R3 (no SUV) is rated lower but the R3 SUV have LR of up to 117 (2800) on 20".

seattledan206

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E (Ordered), Mazda MX5 Club Model, Mazda CX3,
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
Country flag
There is a company called Modern Spare that makes a lot for the Mach E. It includes a compact spare a jack and a lug wrench. It will take up less space than a full size spare. I donā€™t personally plan to do this, but as a warning to others, I was driving over one of the more obscure and less travelled mountain passes and Oregon. A Tesla model 3 ahead of me ran over a rock that fell off the mountain. It bent the rim and the tire lost its seal. No amount of fix a flat was going to fix it and the closest cell service was at least an hour a way.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
We live outside of Denver and I'm planning on getting a set of wheels and winter tires to keep the car on the road when it snows - I'm leaning towards the Blizzak LM001
I just picked up a set of Vredestein Wintrac Pro on my stock wheels.... good value, great tread, high load rating and great reviews.... $50/tire less than the Blizzaks.

as far as your travel plans.... I would not worry about carrying a spare... onboard pump + runflats will get you to the nearest service, or calling a flatbed.

I use dedicated snow tires when it actually snows or I am headed into the mountains to ski, and swap out the whole set back to summer tires when it's not snowing, and none in forecast.

I did buy aftermarket wheels (Enkei TS-V), and put the stock all-seasons on until they wear out when I will replace with summer tires.

OP
OP
EELinneman

EELinneman

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sr. Dir Cloud & Projects
Country flag
There is a company called Modern Spare that makes a lot for the Mach E. It includes a compact spare a jack and a lug wrench. It will take up less space than a full size spare. I donā€™t personally plan to do this, but as a warning to others, I was driving over one of the more obscure and less travelled mountain passes and Oregon. A Tesla model 3 ahead of me ran over a rock that fell off the mountain. It bent the rim and the tire lost its seal. No amount of fix a flat was going to fix it and the closest cell service was at least an hour a way.
I just sent them an email asking if their 18 inch wheel will clear the brakes on a GT. This route makes a lot of sense. Thanks for suggesting.
Sponsored