Help! My First Edition arrived at dealer damaged!

Beege

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Santa Fe Sport, 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
My First Edition arrived at dealer with a paint chip in the middle of the passenger door. I haven’t seen it live, but dealer sent a photo.

The dealer suggests either a spot paint repair on the door panel, or to repaint the entire side of the car... front fender, front door, rear door, rear quarter panel.

They feel a spot repair may work because paint hasn’t faded or been exposed to degradation yet. Too new. So color has a good chance of matching. but a complete side paint repair is possible.

I know if damage had occurred at factory, it would have been repaired and no one would be the wiser.

But this is an awfully expensive car. And knowing up front it’s basically been in an accident and requiring body repair and paint even before I see it is a real burn.
Question: because of this damage and resulting non factory paint to repair, is this car worth less than factory new?

Should I be receiving some type of compensation be cause of this damage?

should I accept the car with a paint repair?

Should I walk away and wait for a 2022 or another competitor vehicle?

what are your thoughts?

pretty sure another FE can’t be ordered.

Thanks
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help! My First Edition arrived at dealer damaged! 43F0C5CE-98BE-4DF1-9BBE-53D796967BE7
Sponsored

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I think the options would be spot airbrush, depending on the shop/person might be difficult or paint the door not the entire side of car. There should be no issues matching the paint.

I feel for you, but it's your call, although I would think it might be possible to purchase a different MME since some are being declined. That would be a risk, but maybe better than waiting for 22 or going elsewhere.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I would let the dealer paint shop repair it how they see fit and challenge you to find the chip after the fact. If their painter has reasonable skills then I doubt you will be able to identify the spot where the paint was damaged. It should appear just like the rest of the car.

The good news is that you selected one of the non-tinted clear coat colors so blending the base and clear coat is going to be much easier than the colors that carried the $400 adder. ?

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
I would let the dealer paint shop repair it how they see fit and challenge you to find the chip after the fact. If their painter has reasonable skills then I doubt you will be able to identify the spot where the paint was damaged. It should appear just like the rest of the car.

The good news is that you selected one of the non-tinted clear coat colors so blending the base and clear coat is going to be much easier than the colors that carried the $400 adder. ?
right here i agree.

OP
OP
Beege

Beege

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's the Carbonized Grey.

I'm checking to see if there is an available FE in the system locally where a customer walked away and didn't complete the sale.

I'd rather have an unblemished one if possible.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
My First Edition arrived at dealer with a paint chip in the middle of the passenger door. I haven’t seen it live, but dealer sent a photo.

The dealer suggests either a spot paint repair on the door panel, or to repaint the entire side of the car... front fender, front door, rear door, rear quarter panel.

They feel a spot repair may work because paint hasn’t faded or been exposed to degradation yet. Too new. So color has a good chance of matching. but a complete side paint repair is possible.

I know if damage had occurred at factory, it would have been repaired and no one would be the wiser.

But this is an awfully expensive car. And knowing up front it’s basically been in an accident and requiring body repair and paint even before I see it is a real burn.
Question: because of this damage and resulting non factory paint to repair, is this car worth less than factory new?

Should I be receiving some type of compensation be cause of this damage?

should I accept the car with a paint repair?

Should I walk away and wait for a 2022 or another competitor vehicle?

what are your thoughts?

pretty sure another FE can’t be ordered.

Thanks
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help! My First Edition arrived at dealer damaged! 43F0C5CE-98BE-4DF1-9BBE-53D796967BE7

I would have them to pay for a spot repair at a quality body shop (of your closing - not necessarily the cheapest one the dealer uses) and ask Ford for a $500-1000 discount. Respraying the panel will probably look good, but the Paint will not be as good as the factory paint which is done in a clean room and baked.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
That is horrible news. Also, the 90s called and are asking your dealer to return their 0.3 mp flip phone camera - I can’t make out anything in that photo. Go see the vehicle in person.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Yeah I would just have them repaint and if it doesn’t look perfect, see if you can get some further discount.

Reality is unless you take extreme caution, you’re gonna get little stuff like this on any car just from driving around and using the car. I already have two scuff marks on that black portion on the bottom front of the Mach-E and a door ding from when my niece and nephew really wanted to go to a busy playground on a Sunday in my four day old car...

OP
OP
Beege

Beege

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is horrible news. Also, the 90s called and are asking your dealer to return their 0.3 mp flip phone camera - I can’t make out anything in that photo. Go see the vehicle in person.
Agree the photo is pretty grainy, but there are two distinct paint chip dings dead center.

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
This happens often with delivery. If they repairs are done by the dealer, it would need to be a Ford authorized body shop so it shouldn't impact the 'value'.

They were up front with you, so my opinion is, as long as the work looks good, accept it just as if the work had been done anywhere else in the supply chain.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I bet there are way more cases of small damage like this that happens than people realize. As long as Ford is fixing it, documenting it, and being up front about it, I don't have any issue with it. Should not affect value.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Spot repair. It's amazing what can be done with today's tech. You won't even know there was an unsightly blemish.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
1. Sorry
2. Have them fix the chip.
3 If it’s fixed and you can‘t tell or in any way see it, move on with joy in your heart
4. If it’s fixed and isn’t perfect, then you can decide to walk away.

Like it our not, we are all at the mercy of inattentive people in parking lots. They did the right thing and told you about it. The Person parking next to you in 6 months won’t be as forthcoming.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
1. Sorry
2. Have them fix the chip.
3 If it’s fixed and you can‘t tell or in any way see it, move on with joy in your heart
4. If it’s fixed and isn’t perfect, then you can decide to walk away.

Like it our not, we are all at the mercy of inattentive people in parking lots. They did the right thing and told you about it. The Person parking next to you in 6 months won’t be as forthcoming.
4B. If it's fixed and isn't perfect, you could ask them to do it over. Just another option.

But if I were betting, I'd say you won't be able to find the spot when they're done with it.

Keyk4

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Country flag
I bet there are way more cases of small damage like this that happens than people realize. As long as Ford is fixing it, documenting it, and being up front about it, I don't have any issue with it. Should not affect value.
THIS!?

Most people never know
Sponsored