Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I also wonder why people think there is something unique about 12V batteries in EVs. Ever since I moved to Phoenix, I've had to replace the 12V battery every 3 years, almost like clockwork, in every car. The only annoying things are how difficult it is to get to the battery to jump it and the fact that the batteries are odd size, so it's not carried by AAA.
Maybe the heat has something to do with a battery going in 3 years. In NY I have never had that issue And besides in the MME it’s happening within the first year.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I honestly don't think I'd take this vehicle. I'd be too worried about possibly being stranded everytine I shut off the car. I'd try my damndest to get the dealership AND Ford to make ammends, outside of having to wait for another vehicle.. Sorry you're going through this.
You'd refuse a car over a 12V battery? Wow.

I likely would not have the issue with darning the battery while plugged into L2, but probably not the fix for leaving it turned off for too long.
What fix are you referring to? Are you sure that's not just another Internet myth? The only TSB affecting the 12V charging system is the one that I referenced, which doesn't affect your car.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Maybe the heat has something to do with a battery going in 3 years. In NY I have never had that issue And besides in the MME it’s happening within the first year.
Definitely the heat.

There have been exceptions. When I bought Mazda Tribute, the battery died within 3 weeks, but after that, every 3 years. My last battery replacement in C-Max PHEV was in November. It died in March ( on the day Carvana was supposed to pick it up:mad:). It took it to the dealer, who said it was defective and replaced it for free.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Definitely the heat.

There have been exceptions. When I bought Mazda Tribute, the battery died within 3 weeks, but after that, every 3 years. My last battery replacement in C-Max PHEV was in November. It died in March ( on the day Carvana was supposed to pick it up:mad:). It took it to the dealer, who said it was defective and replaced it for free.
Didn’t realize heat has that kind of impact, learn something g every day

Tarynem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Premium (pending)
Occupation
IT
Country flag

What fix are you referring to? Are you sure that's not just another Internet myth? The only TSB affecting the 12V charging system is the one that I referenced, which doesn't affect your car.

Didn't read the whole thread. My response was to the original post. If the solution is just to replace the battery, then probably not. That experience would turn me all the way off though and I wouldn't feel 100% about taking it after its been "fixed".

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
The one you mentioned where FordPass pops up when the 12v battery is being charged while parked. Maybe it is a myth?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
The one @generaltso mentioned where FordPass pops up when the 12v battery is being charged while parked.
I didn’t say that was a fix. That’s just something that happens. If you don’t happen to be looking at FordPass when it happens, you won’t see it.

Xlch59

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 mach 2004 Cobra 2007 GT500
Country flag
My car arrived with a dead battery. The AGM battery sat dead too long in transport and needs to be replaced. Your dealer needs to come up with a replacement battery and you will be good to go. You could try the method in post #2 but it's a new car and you shouldn't have to deal with it,

OP
OP
Bullitt_&_MME

Bullitt_&_MME

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Bullitt; 2018 Expedition Max Limited
Occupation
Logistics
Country flag
My car arrived with a dead battery. The AGM battery sat dead too long in transport and needs to be replaced. Your dealer needs to come up with a replacement battery and you will be good to go. You could try the method in post #2 but it's a new car and you shouldn't have to deal with it,
We charged the battery for over a whole day and it's working just fine. I have the assurance by my sales guy that a new battery is on order nonetheless, since we all know this current battery will not be 100% ever again after being drained and sitting idle for so long. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Bosox07

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Premium 4x
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic Supervisor
Country flag
basically their parts guy said there are no replacement batteries out there. This is a debacle.

Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can get a remedy ASAP.
I had a similar problem when my car arrived last week; the 12v battery needed replacing. They feared it would take up to 2 weeks to find one, but another regional dealer had one on the shelf, so it only took two days. My dealer hypothesized that because of the delay coming out of Mexico, some dealers are carrying more of the 12v batteries than they normally would. Definitely have your dealership call around to other local dealers.

Good luck!

williswong

First Name
Willis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Red
Country flag
Confirming it's not just a Ford problem.

I was hoping Tesla would eliminate the 12V in the Model Y. Nope. And even the new Refreshed Model S (Long Range or Plaid) has a 12V, albeit a Lithium one that's supposed to be more durable.

I chose to replace the 12V @ 24 months in my 2018 Model 3 because of others having theirs fail after as short as 18 months, leaving the car undrivable.

Once my 2020 Model Y is 2 years old I'll do the same for it. I'll replace the one in my 2018 next year as well.

And as highlighted in the link posted earlier, I set my charge limit to no higher than 90% to avoid the 12V from not getting topped off as well as avoid battery degradation since Tesla doesn't hold back part of the pack.

In a Tesla, you should only charge it to 100% when you're going on a roadtrip, not daily.
So is the general consensus to just pony (hehe) up the money and get a 12V lithium ion battery installed from Ford on pickup? Just curious how much a battery would be?

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
So is the general consensus to just pony (hehe) up the money and get a 12V lithium ion battery installed from Ford on pickup? Just curious how much a battery would be?
Two points. 1 - No, I wouldn't pay for a new battery to be installed on a brand new car and 2 - It's an AGM battery, not Lithium Ion.
Sponsored