HELP! Touch Screen went BLACK! [SOLVED!]

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Updated: SOLVED!

Solution: The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!

Original post

I have tried searching the forum and I can't find anything, but have any new owners had any issues with the touch screen going completely black and becoming unresponsive?

I have a loaner car for the day and when playing around with various settings the screen froze and went completely black! Nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

The strangest thing though is that when I put the car in reverse the backup cam comes on the screen just like normal. When I go to then switch gears to drive or some other gear it goes back to black.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any Ford engineers on here that can tell me how to reset the screen??

[SOLVED!}
The Sync4 reset is to hold the volume rocker in the volumne down position and the right arrow key together for 10 seconds (both on the right side of the steering wheel). This resets the 15.5' touchscreen and in my case solved the issue! The screen came right back on and has worked since!
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Not sure if this will help but worth a try. See if you can get the diagnostic mode to display.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/ford-mach-e-bezel-diagnostics-demo.3109/
That was one of my first thoughts too, but unfortunately it didn't do anything.

I even tried to hold other various combinations of the buttons on the steering wheel hoping one of them might reset Sync or the screen or something. But as of yet, nothing has worked.

I'm furiously searching the forums and the internet. I've scoured the online owner's manual (which...I guess is helpful but the more I look through it the more I think it's a waste).

And I don't even own this vehicle!!!!!!!!!!

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
The strangest thing though is that when I put the car in reverse the backup cam comes on the screen just like normal. When I go to then switch gears to drive or some other gear it goes back to black.
That probably means that LCD panel is fine, and you have some other issue. Is there a way to reset the car without using the screen?

I would count that as a win.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
That probably means that LCD panel is fine, and you have some other issue. Is there a way to reset the car without using the screen?
Yeah I think (hope...pray) the screen itself is fine. I didn't do anything to cause it to break or freeze.

Also, I haven't found a way to reset anything yet. Turning the car off, locking it, and stepping away for a while seems to shut everything down, so I've done that and I'll go back to it in a minute and see if anything has changed.

I would count that as a win.
Yeah...I just recently placed my Order for this exact spec MME (Premium X AWD), and this experience probably won't make me change my mind (also I likely won't get mine until 2023 anyway), but it's definitely making me think twice about it a little bit.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The display and Sync are on different fuses. Since the display works for the camera, check fuse 17 (Page 279-280 of the manual)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Check the fuses? Odd as it sounds. The screen fuse is in the body control module fuse box. #4. Worth looking at. And possibly pulling, waiting a bit, then reinstalling.

I think that fuse box is in the cabin of the car.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
That was one of my first thoughts too, but unfortunately it didn't do anything.

I even tried to hold other various combinations of the buttons on the steering wheel hoping one of them might reset Sync or the screen or something. But as of yet, nothing has worked.

I'm furiously searching the forums and the internet. I've scoured the online owner's manual (which...I guess is helpful but the more I look through it the more I think it's a waste).

Browsing the APIM diagnostics now....
Not finding a way to force reset that module. Will keep reading and see what I can find.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have tried searching the forum and I can't find anything, but have any new owners had any issues with the touch screen going completely black and becoming unresponsive?

I have a loaner car for the day and when playing around with various settings the screen froze and went completely black! Nothing I do will get it to turn back on.

Has anybody else had this issue? Any Ford engineers on here that can tell me how to reset the screen??
What menu were you in when playing with the settings?
Was the radio on or off. What happens when you touch screen with your finger through the center if the dial knob?
Did you turn off the auto dimming and/or manual brightness control.

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
What menu were you in when playing with the settings?
Was the radio on or off. What happens when you touch screen with your finger through the center if the dial knob?
Did you turn off the auto dimming and/or manual brightness control.
So, I think I was playing with the heating/air conditioning when it went black.

The radio was on. Nothing happens when I touch the screen anywhere, including the center of the dial knob. The knob is also clicky like a button, so I thought maybe pushing or holding that would do something, and it didn't.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
So, I think I was playing with the heating/air conditioning when it went black.

The radio was on. Nothing happens when I touch the screen anywhere, including the center of the dial knob. The knob is also clicky like a button, so I thought maybe pushing or holding that would do something, and it didn't.
Does the radio still work? Can you get it into AM/FM mode?
Must be tuned to that source in order to enter Bezel Diagnostics (according to the manual....)

OP
OP

capt_jak_harkness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium
Country flag
Genuine thank you to everyone in this thread helping me problem solve!

Just as an FYI the car seems to have remembered the last settings, so the seat warmer, steering wheel heater, all come on. The last driving mode I was in was Unbridled, and it seems to have changed to Engaged (or some other mode). And the car still operates. I thought maybe driving it around the block would "wake up" the screen but to no avail.

It's parked in my garage now, and it's getting late so I may leave it over night and then troubleshoot with the fuse/battery tomorrow morning. More than likely I'm just going to take it back to the Dealer and hopefully they can fix it and I can take it out again and actually play around with it!!!!

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Not a great way to experience... I wonder the dealer will do something to fix?
Sponsored