Help understanding Bjorn Nyland's Mach E 1000 km challenge

coolshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF -> Mach E AWD ER, Rapid Red
Country flag
hi folks,

i have been researching the Mustang Mach E AWD ER and something in Nyland's spreadsheet stopped me.

i was under the impression that the MME had the best range compared to the I-Pace, Audi E-Tron, Volvo XC R and the ID.4,

but from his spreadsheet, it looks like the Audi Q4 E-tron 40 did better, time wise, in the 1000 km test, than the MME and even the Mercedes BEV SUV variants did better.

help!

i am confused.

am i reading the spreadsheet wrong?

here it is, for reference:

Sponsored

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
On a 1000 km trip the charging speed is also important, as you need to charge the car 2 or 3 times.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'm not going to dig through that whole spreadsheet, but there a few things to be aware of
  1. BEV's don't charge at a constant rate: when the battery is low it charges a lot faster than when it is mostly full - this is referred to as the "charging curve".
  2. Typically when the battery is at 80% or higher, the charging rate gets significantly slower. For the Mach E it gets ludicrously slower
  3. Some cars have a "flatter" charging curve; the ID.4 and Etron have a nearly flat curve when charging up to 80%, but they too drop off at over 80% charge
  4. Because of #1 and #2, the prevailing wisdom when road tripping in an EV is to only charge to 80% and get back on the road. That is, you can minimize your charging time by always being in the fast part of the curve (ie lower state of charge). To get 10kwh when the battery is at 20% full will take much less time than when it is 80% full
  5. I believe Bjorn doesn't follow that rule, and charges beyond the 80% threshold. The Mach E slows down charging much more significantly than other BEVs, so he gets long charging times on the Mach E. If he were to stop charging at 80% he would get a much faster time to 1000km

JimmyMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Exactly, charging curves and temperature limits while charging are different for each EV.

Bjorn never charged over 80% as he knew about 80% SOC dip in Mach-E charging curve.
He documented it in another video using Car Scanner app.

10hr 25 minutes is actually a good time for a 1000 km trip.
Sponsored