HELP! Unsure of my Build Date (wrt HVBJB)

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
It seems actual build date is more important. . . and I'm not clear as to what my actual build date is!?
Based on the email update I got from Ford, my Production date was: 19 April 2022

Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP!  Unsure of my Build Date (wrt HVBJB) 20220506_125047

But based on the info in my driver side frame, my manufacture month is April 2022
Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP!  Unsure of my Build Date (wrt HVBJB) Door Info

But, when I got a printout verifying I had the software update for the recall I see Build date 19 April 2022 and Release date 25 May 2022.
Ford Mustang Mach-E HELP!  Unsure of my Build Date (wrt HVBJB) Recall Info1a

I'm confused as to if I might have the Beefier HVBJB or not. (The software update was done at the dealership before I could buy my GTPE.) I'm assuming the Release date means the car was "Built" but not released from the manufacturing plant until that date....?

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
My 4/20 GTPE build (finished 6/15) needs a software update (as per my dealer) so I suspect I don't have the new part. Nobody really knows unless you drop the battery and look at the contactors. My theory is we both have the old part as our builds started in mid-April.

DadzBoyz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E GTPE (ordered), 20 Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Software Systems Integrator
Country flag
What we know:
- The recall affected all Mustang Mach-E’s built between May 27, 2020 and May 24, 2022.
- There is a new part number for a HVBJB. Assumptions are that Ford started using that on or about May 25, 2022.

Does this mean that you have a bad HVBJB? We do not know. Ford has not shared that much detail.
There appear to be 2 or 3 possibilities or variations of them.

1. Ford designed and spec’d the contactors correctly (these are the parts of the HVBJB that actually break) and the vendor made some out of spec and it’s these that are causing the problem.
2. Ford did not spec the contractors correctly….. This seems partially possible. I’ll explain below.
3. There seems to be a trend that the cars with problems are two motor versions of the Mach-E. This is evidenced by:
- Fewer, if any reports of failures on single motor trims
- What appears to be a higher failure rate in GT and GTPE versions.

Based on these things, one might conclude that Ford spec’d the right contactors for the single motor cars, but did not account for higher electrical loads in the two motor and GT/GTPE cars.

This does not account for everything though. Some of the problems also seem to be a result of the use of DC FastChargers stations.. This is similar to the above problem but in the opposite direction. Where the problem above would come from higher energy use for two motors and higher performance use (Using Power), the DC FastCharging problem is the same thing with the power going in the opposite direction. In other words, DC FastChargers send more power back into the battery at a higher speed (creating more heat) than the Level 1 and Level 2 chargers and the contactors cannot handle the higher flow of electricity causing them to fail in another way.

All of that to say, there is a chance that the supplier of the contactors is at fault and a certain percentage of contactors were not fabricated to spec and the rest were fine. In which case; you may be fine.

If the problem is broader than that and two motor and GT/GTPE versions have inadequate contactors, Ford will have to replace them when the parts come available.
While trends and reports may indicate any number of things, we are still pretty early in this recall and they are likely gathering data to realize more details and the breadth of the problem. From that data, they’ll be able to better understand what they’re dealing with and devise the correct course of action.

All of that said, it appears that Ford will have to do a targeted HVBJB replacement campaign in the near future. In order to accomplish this, they will have to build up an appropriate number of parts leading up to that point. In the meantime, they are replacing faulty parts as they fail.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Looks like you have the old part, and your dealer did the recall software update for you already.

Your build date is April 19, 2022, which is before the May 25th, 2022 (assumed) switch to the new part.

Release date is when it left the factory. Recalls are based on build date, not release date.

If anybody has a VIN with a build date after May 25th, please send it to me.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Mach-E GT-PE, '22 F-150 Lightning
Country flag
Does the OP have access to the actual build sheet that would have come with the car? Maybe that can be checked for the updated part number.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does the OP have access to the actual build sheet that would have come with the car? Maybe that can be checked for the updated part number.
You're showing your age here, Fords haven't come with a build sheet for a looooong time. It would take about 50 pages to print.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southern92

Southern92

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW i3
Country flag
I do still have everything that came with the car (only had it for 4 days), but no build sheet (or labled as such)
Sponsored