Help with Setting up PAAK (Solution found)

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I had PAAK set up since I got the car in March 22. It has worked well enough. However as of last week, it just disappeared.
I went on vacation for 2 weeks, so the car sat at home. It went into deep sleep. I'm not sure if it's related. When I got home from vacay, PAAK did not respond, so I used the door code and back up password. I didn't think anything of it as this happens with PAAK every so often. But when PAAK failed for a couple of days, I decided to trouble shoot it. One of the first thing I did was log out of the Ford Pass app. When I logged back in, PAAK was gone. It's like I've never set it up. There was a link on the APP that ask me to set up PAAK. However when I tried, it would fail to Download a digital Key. Tried multiple times, always the same results, "Key Download failed." I tried everything I could think of. I even reset the PAAK from the MME and erased blue tooth from the phone as well as delete all phone connections. Nothing helped.

Has anyone ran into this problem with "key download failed." I have a iphone 13pro.

==================================

I just found a solution to the "Key download failed." In my particular situaton.

You have to set your phone (not the car) to 24 hour mode. Then the download would go through.

Hope this helps others with this problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes. I had this problem, and reached out to a contact at Ford. Here is the solution that worked for me.

1) On your phone, delete cache and clear data from the app.
2) Delete app.
3) Reboot phone.
4) Reinstall FordPass.
5) Ensure location settings are set to always allow (I think current version reminds you of this).
6) Ensure background data is enabled.
7) Retry PaaK setup.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Yes. I had this problem, and reached out to a contact at Ford. Here is the solution that worked for me.

1) On your phone, delete cache and clear data from the app.
2) Delete app.
3) Reboot phone.
4) Reinstall FordPass.
5) Ensure location settings are set to always allow (I think current version reminds you of this).
6) Ensure background data is enabled.
7) Retry PaaK setup.
How do you delete cache and clear data from the ford app? I've gone into settings, but there's no option to clear cache or data. This is on iOS 16.2.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
How do you delete cache and clear data from the ford app? I've gone into settings, but there's no option to clear cache or data. This is on iOS 16.2.
Don't know, don't have Apple. On Android, you go into the PHONE'S settings, pick apps, pick FordPass, pick Storage and Cache. It's not in the app's settigns.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Uninstalling an app on iOS or Android will delete the app and its storage cache and locally persisted settings.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Uninstalling an app on iOS or Android will delete the app and its storage cache and locally persisted settings.
In that case, then RickMache's solution did not work for me as I 've deleted the app and reinstalled it multiple times and still have the failed to download error.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
In that case, then RickMache's solution did not work for me as I 've deleted the app and reinstalled it multiple times and still have the failed to download error.
Yeah I was gonna say, since the vehicle already thought it was paired with PaaK I'd add an additional first step:

Delete the PaaK pairing from within the vehicle.

And on Android, I'd also remove the PaaK Bluetooth pairing before reloading and logging back in to FordPass. Not sure if you need to do that on iOS as I have no experience there.

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Yeah I was gonna say, since the vehicle already thought it was paired with PaaK I'd add an additional first step:

Delete the PaaK pairing from within the vehicle.

And on Android, I'd also remove the PaaK Bluetooth pairing before reloading and logging back in to FordPass. Not sure if you need to do that on iOS as I have no experience there.
Yeah, I tried all that. Did a PAAK reset with the MME that removed all PAAK settings including the backup password. Deleted all bluetooth pairing.

Nothing is working. At this point, I'm going to see if I can get it to work on another phone. Its really frustrating.

Shaggyrn

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2012 Ford Fusion, 2007 Exp. Sport Tr
Country flag
I also had this problem about a year ago. I did all the above recommendations also and it never would get a key. The module that runs the pakk actually wasn't working (Ben could see on FDRS) I had to take it in to dealer to have it looked at. From what I was told the power pin on the module itself was not making good contact and kept the module from powering on. They stated fixed it by working on the plug to the module. It now works great. (knocking on wood). If you know someone with FDRS have them plug in and see if your Paak module is showing up is what I would try.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Keep in mind your will have two bluetooth connections. One for PAAK and one for Sync. You must delete the correct one in my car "24227 MACH E" is my PAAK. I am assuming you also deleted the phone from the settings\profile menu?

Where is it failing when you are trying to set it up again?

OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Keep in mind your will have two bluetooth connections. One for PAAK and one for Sync. You must delete the correct one in my car "24227 MACH E" is my PAAK. I am assuming you also deleted the phone from the settings\profile menu?

Where is it failing when you are trying to set it up again?
I've deleted both.

It fails when trying to download the key. the exact message is "Key Download failed."

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
you have to 'reset PAAK' in MME, un-install and delete everything and both BT pairings in both phone and MME, and start completely from scratch. Make sure you have a good wifi connection from MME to some network before you start.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
I've deleted both.

It fails when trying to download the key. the exact message is "Key Download failed."
can you hold the volume down and track next button (opposite of sync reset) scroll down to connectivity and let me know what you see here. Curious about TCU status.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
you have to 'reset PAAK' in MME, un-install and delete everything and both BT pairings in both phone and MME, and start completely from scratch. Make sure you have a good wifi connection from MME to some network before you start.
Yup, did all that. Only thing I didn't do is a Master Reset, but I reset everything else. I'm really at a lost on what to do. Even called Ford and tried their suggestions and nothing works.

ShaggySS

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium RWD
Occupation
IT Nerd
Country flag
Yup, did all that. Only thing I didn't do is a Master Reset, but I reset everything else. I'm really at a lost on what to do. Even called Ford and tried their suggestions and nothing works.
Don't make the same mistake I did by going to master reset too early. That is a lot of work to set back up.
Sponsored