Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford's DTE has been based on past 500 miles for as long as I can remember, I'm assuming it's a similar interval here along with short-term averages implemented per above.
Sponsored

elbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e awd x
Country flag
here's what I do...I take off driving then once the miles per kilowatt settles (to X value) I ask google what is 88*X and it answers a value of Y.
then I ask google what is Y*(indicated battery percent) and I use that number.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
LMAO at "ask Google".

#MathIsHard

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
here's what I do...I take off driving then once the miles per kilowatt settles (to X value) I ask google what is 88*X and it answers a value of Y.
then I ask google what is Y*(indicated battery percent) and I use that number.
Unless one lives in places that are warm year-round, the "kWh to Empty" value is considerably lower than 88.8kWh in colder months. I have charged my car to 100% SOC only a couple of times, and I did not take the "kWh to Empty" readings on those occasions. However, on a few occasions when I had my OBD II scanner plugged in this past winter I extrapolated the reading to 100% SOC, and it dropped below 80 kWh. @SnBGC shared a charging log from the last two months, https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/battery-life-preservation-health.17383/post-414818, and the "kWh to Empty" readings ranged from 84 kWh to 88 kWh. The 84 kWh figure matches my recent extrapolation as spring is finally here.

For me the car's range estimates have been reasonably accurate, as long as my driving pattern doesn't stray too far from the norm, for example from 50/50 local/highway day-to-day to 95% highway on a weekend trip, and the temperatures don't swing too much. We average 100 miles on our MME, any outliers in energy efficiency don't seem to stick around long as far as the range estimates are concerned.

I am not obsessed with variations in range estimates. At the end of the day it is just a car, and so far the per mile cost in electricity is ~1/4 of the per mile cost in gasoline for the car it replaced, at current utility/gasoline rates.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The driving history is what is used to calculate and show your driving range estimate shown on the instrument panel. This number is just a statistical sum of miles driven and energy consumed. The more you drive the more accurate the number becomes. It averages your driving over time and becomes very reliable.

Until it doesn't. The issue is that driving distance is directly proportional to the outside temperature where it's being driven. If it's cold outside your range is less. When it warms up your range increases. We all understand this.

However, after six months of cold weather you've accumulated a massive amount of data and your range numbers think your average is low. Once the weather warms up it takes a LOT of driving to budge that range number. Even though you will get more range, the number on the screen (GOM) doesn't reflect that. It could take six months of warm weather to show a range closer to accurate. And, since it is fighting with six months of cold range it still under estimates the range. By the time the range normalizes it's the end of summer and getting cold again. Now your range will not be as much as the GOM says it is. This constant battle is just a battle of averages and the more data that is stored, the harder it is to budge the average.

So, my recommendation is that when the weather changes (cold to hot, hot to cold, it doesn't matter) it is time to reset the driving history on the car. After a week or so of driving it will settle in with the correct range number on your GOM.

I reset my driving history every month now. I've been doing this for the last 6 months (I've owned the car for over a year) and see much better improvement in the accuracy of the GOM than before I did the resets.

A word of warning: Resetting the driving history does nothing to the actual range. It only dramatically improves the car's ability to accurately predict range giving you peace of mind that you know how far you can drive.

wouldn't it be nice if the GOM automatically adjusted according to the 'trailing' 100 mile average ?! i.e. this would automatically adjust for temp swings, one-way trips with elevation change, and even adjust from 'suburban' to 'highway' averages when you set out on a long drive.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
wouldn't it be nice if the GOM automatically adjusted according to the 'trailing' 100 mile average ?! i.e. this would automatically adjust for temp swings, one-way trips with elevation change, and even adjust from 'suburban' to 'highway' averages when you set out on a long drive.
I wouldn't want that. It now takes into account the weather on your trip. Why would I want to give that up? And it takes into account elevation upcoming, not in the past.

It's never going to satisfy everyone.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Ford's DTE has been based on past 500 miles for as long as I can remember, I'm assuming it's a similar interval here along with short-term averages implemented per above.
This would be great to get some additional color on

d19dotca

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium eAWD ER
Country flag
Interestingly, I saw this document (not sure how out of date it is if at all): https://www.ford.ie/content/dam/gux...tips-winter-driving-in-the-mustang-mach-e.pdf

It mentions resetting the driving history before heading into winter and again before heading into summer. If that’s still accurate then I guess that means it takes a continuation of all driving history into account rather than just the last few hundred kilometers.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Interestingly, I saw this document (not sure how out of date it is if at all): https://www.ford.ie/content/dam/gux...tips-winter-driving-in-the-mustang-mach-e.pdf

It mentions resetting the driving history before heading into winter and again before heading into summer. If that’s still accurate then I guess that means it takes a continuation of all driving history into account rather than just the last few hundred kilometers.
I actually CANNOT reset driving history in my version of PowerUp... pop-up says 'reset cancelled'. I don't really care since the GOM is so inaccurate.

I use 'trip 2' and 'this trip' to track recent averages, then CarScanner info when on trips to see actual kWhr remaining to calculate 'safe' trip leg distance to next charger.... adjusting on the fly if needed.

I would prefer is @Ford Motor Company changed this only look at a rolling average of the 'last(50 miles/100km)', and used that 'recent' average to recalculate remaining range on the fly.... lets say updating the GOM every mile to reflect estimated range based on 'recent' average efficiency and doing the calculation for us.

This would be SO much better in auto-adjusting between 'usual use', changing while on a long highway trip, and then back to 'usual' when you are not travelling.
Sponsored